The...Starship..ENTERprise is...Coming...BAck...

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/21/leisure.startrek.reut/index.htmlcharacters

WTF was I like the only person in the world that liked Star Trek:Nemesis? It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, but I still liked it.

theHawk said:
WTF was I like the only person in the world that liked Star Trek:Nemesis? It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, but I still liked it.

That sir, is called loyalty. I loved the book and thought the movie was a waste of good popcorn.

I will see any and all ST movies, TV shows, etc. I wish ST: Enterprise had survived longer.

I am still pissed at our space program though..........

Enterprise the show consisted of rehacked scripts from NG and the Orginal series. I could barely muster enough strength to watch 1 season of that drek baring the name "Star Trek". Its like they took a 4 cylinder 89 honda hatchback, tricked it out with rims and slapped a big ole Star Trek emblem on the side and declared it the hot shit. It still runs like crap and looks retarded.

I never watched nemesis. Insurrection still left a funky taste in my mouth. First Contact was awesome. Generations was pretty good too. I dont know where they went wrong after that. It got all weird. Were there any others of the next gen?

Anyway, Im all for a good new movie with the Next Gen and DS9 cast.

But a new young Kirk and Spock will be weird.

insein said:
But a new young Kirk and Spock will be weird.
It seems all movie franchises are going back to the early days. The new Bond film will be about Bond first getting his license to kill.

I never really got to watch Enterprise too much. My trekie friend says season 2 sucked, but season 3 was really kick ass. I'll probably pick up that season on DVD.

I don't think the new movie will deal with a young Kirk and Spock. I heard Abrams was pissed that this rumor started. He is only a producer at this point with the option to direct, and nothing has been written yet.

Abbey Normal said:
I'd love to see some of the DS9 cast in a movie.

Of all the ST TV shows, I never warmed up to DS9. It had good points but honestly the only part I watched regular was the Dominion War.

Loved Voyager (yeah I know folks panned it, but oh well) more than any other than the original.

Young Kirk and Spock? Hmmmmmmm

Those were the episodes i loved in DS9. The full space wars with either the klingons, cardassians or Dominion. The ending was alittle weird but i liked the show.

I loved Voyager when it first started. By the 5th or 6th season though it got old to me. I never even watched how it ended. What happend? Did they make it to Earth?

More proof that hollywood has no orginial ideas. Batman begins is a success, so now they all want to "go back to the begining." How the hell are you going to go back to the begining of Bond. The guy would technically be 80 years old but still looks like he's 30. If they really wanted to explain it in an easy to understand method, just say that Bond is a code name and that every 15 years or so he is replaced with a newer younger Bond. How else would you try to start from the begining of Bond if he's been around since the Cold War?

insein said:
Those were the episodes i loved in DS9. The full space wars with either the klingons, cardassians or Dominion. The ending was alittle weird but i liked the show.

I loved Voyager when it first started. By the 5th or 6th season though it got old to me. I never even watched how it ended. What happend? Did they make it to Earth?

More proof that hollywood has no orginial ideas. Batman begins is a success, so now they all want to "go back to the begining." How the hell are you going to go back to the begining of Bond. The guy would technically be 80 years old but still looks like he's 30. If they really wanted to explain it in an easy to understand method, just say that Bond is a code name and that every 15 years or so he is replaced with a newer younger Bond. How else would you try to start from the begining of Bond if he's been around since the Cold War?

That is a damn good idea......... They got back to earth of course.

theHawk said:

I liked it. I think the problem with the TNG movies is that they can't draw in new fans as well as the original cast. There was the appeal of connecting the old and new casts in Generations, but the next two were difficult to follow if you weren't a regular TNG viewer.

Nemesis was the best movie when it came to appealing to a general audience, but by that time enough stream had been taken out of Star Trek that even some old fans weren't that interested.

Forum List

Back