HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
Staff in Hebrew=HaShevet
This lesson was inspired from the least likely of places, the Twilight Zone.

"HOWLING MAN" 1960
SEASON 2 EPISODE 5 of the TWILIGHT ZONE
About a group of holy men who have imprisoned the devil with "the Staff of truth".

We all know the sceptor in Jacob and staff used by Moses, done that discussion many times but lets review the other references to the staff in the Bible.

Behold the Lord Jehovah Zebaoth doth take away from Jerusalem staff and stay, the whole staff of bread, and the whole staff of water (Isa. 3:1);

The staff (haShevet) of bread denotes support and power from the good of love, and the staff (haShevet) of water, support and power from the truth of faith.
That bread is the good of love may be seen above; and that water is the truth of faith.

Isaiah 10:24,26 The haShevet (staff) denotes power from reasoning and memory-knowledge, such as is the power of those who reason from memory-knowledges against the truths of faith, and either pervert them or make them of no account. This is signified by the rod with which Asshur shall smite, and by the staff which he shall lift up in the way of Egypt. That by Asshur is meant reasoning may be seen above; and that by Egypt is meant memory-knowledge.

In Jeremiah:
Grieve, all ye circuits of Moab, and say, How is the staff of strength broken, the staff of beauty (Jer. 48:17);

the staff of strength denotes power from good, and the staff of beauty power from truth.

In Hosea:
My people interrogate their wood, and their staff will answer them; for the spirit of whoredom hath led them astray (Hosea 4:12);

interrogating wood means consulting evils; the staff answering means that falsity is thence, which has power from the evil which they confirm; the spirit of whoredom denotes a life of falsity from evil. In David:

In Psalms:
Yea, when I walk in the valley of shadow, I will fear not evil to me; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me (Ps. 23:4);

Thy rod and Thy staff denote the Divine truth and good, which have power. Again:

The staff of wickedness shall not rest upon the lot of the just (Ps. 125:3).

Because a staff represented the power of truth, that is, the power of good through truth, therefore kings had scepters, which were made like short staffs; for by kings the Lord is represented as to truth, the Divine truth being the royalty itself.
The scepter signifies the power belonging to them, not by dignity, but by the truth which should rule, and no other truth than that which is from good; thus principally the Divine truth.

I cannot think of a definition for the word "STAFF" (English) that is adequate to describe that which HASHEV attributes to the Hebrew
word SHEVET-----In fact I am mystified as to
the actual meaning of the Hebrew word. How about this one-----DEFINE THE USAGE OF "staff" in the saying "BREAD IS THE STAFF OF LIFE"

Staff in Hebrew=HaShevet

"HOWLING MAN" 1960
About a group of holy men who have imprisoned the devil with "the Staff of truth".

We all know the sceptor in Jacob and staff used by Moses, done that discussion many times but lets review the other references to the staff in the Bible.

Behold the Lord Jehovah Zebaoth doth take away from Jerusalem staff and stay, the whole staff of bread, and the whole staff of water (Isa. 3:1);

The staff (haShevet) of bread denotes support and power from the good of love, and the staff (haShevet) of water, support and power from the truth of faith.
That bread is the good of love may be seen above; and that water is the truth of faith.

Isaiah 10:24,26 The haShevet (staff) denotes power from reasoning and memory-knowledge, such as is the power of those who reason from memory-knowledges against the truths of faith, and either pervert them or make them of no account. This is signified by the rod with which Asshur shall smite, and by the staff which he shall lift up in the way of Egypt. That by Asshur is meant reasoning may be seen above; and that by Egypt is meant memory-knowledge.

In Jeremiah:
Grieve, all ye circuits of Moab, and say, How is the staff of strength broken, the staff of beauty (Jer. 48:17);

the staff of strength denotes power from good, and the staff of beauty power from truth.

In Hosea:
My people interrogate their wood, and their staff will answer them; for the spirit of whoredom hath led them astray (Hosea 4:12);

interrogating wood means consulting evils; the staff answering means that falsity is thence, which has power from the evil which they confirm; the spirit of whoredom denotes a life of falsity from evil. In David:

In Psalms:
Yea, when I walk in the valley of shadow, I will fear not evil to me; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me (Ps. 23:4);

Thy rod and Thy staff denote the Divine truth and good, which have power. Again:

Because a staff represented the power of truth, that is, the power of good through truth, therefore kings had scepters, which were made like short staffs; for by kings the Lord is represented as to truth, the Divine truth being the royalty itself.
The scepter signifies the power belonging to them, not by dignity, but by the truth which should rule, and no other truth than that which is from good; thus principally the Divine truth.

What is your explanation for the two staffs that God uses to lead the flock in Zechariah 11:7?

What do they represent as indicated by their names?

another question---how do you spell "shevet" in Hebrew---ie Hebrew letters. Is there some
"explanatory" etymology for this word that seems to be MYSTICAL

" Hence there follows, ' And ye shall know the truth.' The truth is unchangeable. The truth is bread, which refreshes our minds and fails not ; changes the eater, and is not itself changed into the eater. The Truth itself is the Word of God." — ATTOUSTINE, Gospel of John, Vol. II. p. 30.

The fact that staff of bread makes no sense is evidence that bread is used either symbolically or has a different meaning.
Hence the person's commentary from other sources to what bread meant symbolically.
However it's not until you have the name does it reveal more. The bread in the Temple is the Shew (or Shev) bread.
The body (vessel) of this truth is thus doubly exposed. But in our language it can also have another meaning as in people staff instead of rod staff=Hosts, being the bread (substance and truth that sustains us).
That's why it would say:
Numbers/Korach
17:25 Vayomer Adonay el-Moshe HASHEV et-mateh Aharon lifney ha'edut lemishmeret le'ot
livney-Meri utechal telunotam me'alay velo yamutu.
God said to Moses, "Put Aaron's staff (the hosts=kohanim)back there before
the [Ark of] Testimony as a keepsake. Let it be a sign for anyone who wants to rebel.
This should put an end to their complaints to Me, and then they will not die."

Staff in Hebrew=HaShevet

"HOWLING MAN" 1960

In Jeremiah:

In Hosea:

In Psalms:

What is your explanation for the two staffs that God uses to lead the flock in Zechariah 11:7?

What do they represent as indicated by their names?
verse 8 tells us
[1st] staff, [was called] Pleasantness was cut off to nullify his convenant that he had formed with all the peoples being discussed in that chapter which was Lebanon so maybe the people were Phoenicians.

in verse 14 in the Tanakh it tells you the 2nd staff which he called
Destroyers, to nullify the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.
Ironically YEHUDA the Galilean became that Appolyon and did just that in the spiritual emulation of 3 layers of prophecy.
In verse 17 it possibly calls that same destroyer what I call him:
"Ho, worthless shepherd, who abandons the flock"
Ironically this portion of Zech is used for the Galilean christ selectively using one verse out of context and thus avoiding the fact this claim that he's in Zech 11 is calling him the Appolyon (destroyer).

here Irosie; besides the Hebrew I left you in Numbers regarding Moses, the Jacob one is as follows:

the scepter in the Jacob accounts.
In the sefer Bamidbar it is written, " kochav mi'Yaachov v'kom SHEVET mi"Yisrael"

"there shall step forth a star out of Jacob, and a 'scepter' shall rise out of Israel."

here Irosie; besides the Hebrew I left you in Numbers regarding Moses, the Jacob one is as follows:

the scepter in the Jacob accounts.
In the sefer Bamidbar it is written, " kochav mi'Yaachov v'kom SHEVET mi"Yisrael"

"there shall step forth a star out of Jacob, and a 'scepter' shall rise out of Israel."

it's a little confusing------In bamidbar---it seems to me that JACOB and ISRAEL----mean the same thing-----the whole group can be called EITHER Jacob or Israel

The holy men in Hebrew holy man or men means those who keep separate... Israel is called a holy or separate people....So looking at the episode I would say that only people or a people that stays separate and holds onto their unique and separate truths can hold the devil or evil at bay... Other people that do not separate themselves from the main group tend to go with the flow and do what the majority do and follow unjust ways... Now not all are like this and this is not an incitement on majority rules just an observation.... Sometimes it takes one individual to point this out and sometimes even though one walks without a limp and has two good legs one still must lean on a staff for support when weary and in need of guidance that way the staff can hold one up and keep one separate and be used to point out which path to travel even though that path is narrow and harder then the wider more travelled route...

Forum List

Back