The sport coat vs. the suit jacket...

TakeAStepBack

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2011
OK dapper gents!

What's the verdict? Can you pull off using a suit jacket with that off colored pair of dress pants or kakis and a complimentary shirts and tie? Or is this a business man's absolute no no?

I say it's fine. People wear strange shit in NYC and as long as you can color coordinate and make sure these things fit proper, I say no problem. Even, "good show" if the suit jacket is plain and you used earth tones and kept it un-flashy.

Sort if like a PI guy, ya know?

What do you think?

Three piece...NEVER off the shelf..expensive tie double windsor.. matching kerchief folded smartly ...arrow L/S shirt for comfort and for the coup d'gras.. Some real expensive looking color co-ordinated western boots and matching belt for a MAN'S accent. Never underwear.. go commando.. women like the subtle but unmistakable sexy touch.

Just sayin..That's how I do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but I'd rather wear a pollo and kakis if it were a date. I'm just talking about in a business setting.

Huggy is the like the GQ version of "Da Jesus" from the Big Lebowski.

Thanks, but I'd rather wear a pollo and kakis if it were a date. I'm just talking about in a business setting.

Huggy is the like the GQ version of "Da Jesus" from the Big Lebowski.

Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a "date". I like to tell a gal.."dress up..you never know where we might end up". I din't say flashy Sport.. Serously One gal I went on a first date with was a cruise to Alaska and back. We both looked SHARP! For some reason the captain and crew thought we were some kinda royalty like the king and queen of some European country.. I shit you not. Needless to say...it was a fabulous date.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4SXK2UTQ_Y&feature=fvwrel]ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, it's a business no, no. It works if you want to look the intelligent one in the room. What shoes were you thinking? :)

If the suit jacket is a solid color versus a pattern, then yes you should get away with it. ala the blazer look.
A pin stripe suit jacket? Nope, don't do it.
Personally, I'd go for a sport coat. Suits have a much flatter texture than a sports coat which would give you away as a guy wearing a suit jacket as a sports coat.
I was Head Buyer for a chain of menswear stores before I got into strategic planning.

If the suit jacket is a solid color versus a pattern, then yes you should get away with it. ala the blazer look.
Personally, I'd go for a sport coat. Suits have a much flatter texture than a sports coat which would give you away as a guy wearing a suit jacket as a sports coat.
I was Head Buyer for a chain of menswear stores before I got into strategic planning.

Definitely. Wearing a patterned suit of any kind would be out in this scenario. You would go with the sport coat. But a single color grey tone pants/jacket off match with a nice complimentary shirt and tie can work. Really, if you go orphan suit jacket, you have to make the jacket either focal point, or match the entire scheme so well that the jacket goes by without notice (or much notice depending on the company you might hold.

The shoes would be square toe, like my Prada apron toe oxfords; black.

I was told by my tailor that there is no difference in the cut between a sport coat and a suit jacket. :cool:

There typically isn't, though sports coats may be roomier through the arm-holes and the shoulders, thus the more casual look and feel.
When I mention texture, I'm referring to the fabric of the garment. A herringbone sport coat has a loftier fabric versus the more flat fabric of a herringbone suit.

I was told by my tailor that there is no difference in the cut between a sport coat and a suit jacket. :cool:

There typically isn't, though sports coats may be roomier through the arm-holes and the shoulders, thus the more casual look and feel.
When I mention texture, I'm referring to the fabric of the garment. A herringbone sport coat has a loftier fabric versus the more flat fabric of a herringbone suit.
True, it's mainly the cloth that is the difference between the two.

And also the type and material of the buttons. :cool:

Right. Things have crossed a bit in the men's style field in this regard. It's a tough call. You have to coordinate properly or it will come off as a really tacky attempt to push an orphan suit jacket or mingle wardrobe to freely. If you keep it clean, I think it works just fine. Buttons being the biggest difference.

Definitely. Wearing a patterned suit of any kind would be out in this scenario. You would go with the sport coat. But a single color grey tone pants/jacket off match with a nice complimentary shirt and tie can work. Really, if you go orphan suit jacket, you have to make the jacket either focal point, or match the entire scheme so well that the jacket goes by without notice (or much notice depending on the company you might hold.

The shoes would be square toe, like my Prada apron toe oxfords; black.

You're killing me now. :) How can you wear a tie with it. Presumably you bring the shirt and the jacket together with the tie which throws the pants as the odd one out. I would have thought brown shoes. Brown shoes done extremely well are better than anything in black.

Brown, with grey tones, white, black and a touch of green (in the tie, in this instance...or more a turquoise if you will)in the shoes?

63379A477EA14BB2B82F850042205B95.jpg

?

Last edited:
I would do a tan tone dress/kaki with those. Or just full suit to match them. Black is a much better mixer than brown for me.

Forum List

Back