The Speech of a real leader

Discussion in 'Congress' started by midcan5, Apr 23, 2008.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    October 2, 2002

"Good afternoon. Let me begin by saying that although this has been billed as an anti-war rally, I stand before you as someone who is not opposed to war in all circumstances. The Civil War was one of the bloodiest in history, and yet it was only through the crucible of the sword, the sacrifice of multitudes, that we could begin to perfect this union, and drive the scourge of slavery from our soil. I don’t oppose all wars.

My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in Patton’s army. He saw the dead and dying across the fields of Europe; he heard the stories of fellow troops who first entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil, and he did not fight in vain. I don’t oppose all wars.

After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this administration’s pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such tragedy from happening again. I don’t oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism.

What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne.

What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income - to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression. That’s what I’m opposed to. A dumb war. A rash war. A war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics. Now let me be clear - I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions, thwarted UN inspection teams, developed chemical and biological weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity. He’s a bad guy. The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him."

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/02/28/7343/

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    good post.

"I am not opposed to all wars. I’m opposed to dumb wars." No wonder the right wing hates him.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Just out of curiosity, which grandfather? Maternal or Paternal? What else has Barack written about him? The Grandmother? Why is he PROUD of US, as opposed to his wife?

4. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Michelle was misquoted and taken out of context.

She has always been proud of America; she's just more proud today (no thanks to your ilk).

Why distort your opponents beliefs; have you no faith in your own principles? If this is all the Republicans can run on, prepare for an electoral tsunami.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    No she wasn't. Read her senior thesis, right on target.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    Ummmmm... I tend to call things as I see them. And I don't think she was taken out of context. I also think she was the first chink in Obama's armor. Of course that's just my opinion. And I'm certainly not Obama's "opponent".

But in an effort not to see this thread offtracked, I do think the speech was brilliant and dead on.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Thanks. (S)He is hoping all on the right are as stupid as (s)he predisposes.

8. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,217
    Great Speech! I think that as the field narrows and more people will become familiar with Obama, they will find his oratory compelling.

If McCain's health holds out, he may make it a contest...OR MAYBE NOT!

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Weren't you in another thread proclaiming your superior intellect? I see you're proving it here.:rolleyes:

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Yup, isn't it amazing that later he stated for the record that in fact if he were IN the US Senate and had been given the same intel they were given he might have voted for the War. In other words, he admitted later that he did not , in fact, have enough knowledge to be for or against the war when he made that Speech.