The Speech of a real leader

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
October 2, 2002

"Good afternoon. Let me begin by saying that although this has been billed as an anti-war rally, I stand before you as someone who is not opposed to war in all circumstances. The Civil War was one of the bloodiest in history, and yet it was only through the crucible of the sword, the sacrifice of multitudes, that we could begin to perfect this union, and drive the scourge of slavery from our soil. I don’t oppose all wars.

My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in Patton’s army. He saw the dead and dying across the fields of Europe; he heard the stories of fellow troops who first entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil, and he did not fight in vain. I don’t oppose all wars.

After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this administration’s pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such tragedy from happening again. I don’t oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism.

What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne.

What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income - to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression. That’s what I’m opposed to. A dumb war. A rash war. A war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics. Now let me be clear - I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions, thwarted UN inspection teams, developed chemical and biological weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity. He’s a bad guy. The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him."

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/02/28/7343/

good post.

"I am not opposed to all wars. I’m opposed to dumb wars." No wonder the right wing hates him.

October 2, 2002

"Good afternoon. Let me begin by saying that although this has been billed as an anti-war rally, I stand before you as someone who is not opposed to war in all circumstances. The Civil War was one of the bloodiest in history, and yet it was only through the crucible of the sword, the sacrifice of multitudes, that we could begin to perfect this union, and drive the scourge of slavery from our soil. I don’t oppose all wars.

My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in Patton’s army. He saw the dead and dying across the fields of Europe; he heard the stories of fellow troops who first entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil, and he did not fight in vain. I don’t oppose all wars.

After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this administration’s pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such tragedy from happening again. I don’t oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism.

What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne.

What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income - to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression. That’s what I’m opposed to. A dumb war. A rash war. A war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics. Now let me be clear - I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions, thwarted UN inspection teams, developed chemical and biological weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity. He’s a bad guy. The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him."

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/02/28/7343/

Just out of curiosity, which grandfather? Maternal or Paternal? What else has Barack written about him? The Grandmother? Why is he PROUD of US, as opposed to his wife?

Why is he PROUD of US, as opposed to his wife?
Michelle was misquoted and taken out of context.

She has always been proud of America; she's just more proud today (no thanks to your ilk).

Why distort your opponents beliefs; have you no faith in your own principles? If this is all the Republicans can run on, prepare for an electoral tsunami.

She has always been proud of America; she's just more proud today (no thanks to your ilk).

Why distort your opponents beliefs; have you no faith in your own principles? If this is all the Republicans can run on, prepare for an electoral tsunami.
No she wasn't. Read her senior thesis, right on target.

Ummmmm... I tend to call things as I see them. And I don't think she was taken out of context. I also think she was the first chink in Obama's armor. Of course that's just my opinion. And I'm certainly not Obama's "opponent".

But in an effort not to see this thread offtracked, I do think the speech was brilliant and dead on.

Ummmmm... I tend to call things as I see them. And I don't think she was taken out of context. I also think she was the first chink in Obama's armor. Of course that's just my opinion. And I'm certainly not Obama's "opponent".

But in an effort not to see this thread offtracked, I do think the speech was brilliant and dead on.

Thanks. (S)He is hoping all on the right are as stupid as (s)he predisposes.

Great Speech! I think that as the field narrows and more people will become familiar with Obama, they will find his oratory compelling.

If McCain's health holds out, he may make it a contest...OR MAYBE NOT!

Weren't you in another thread proclaiming your superior intellect? I see you're proving it here.:rolleyes:

Yup, isn't it amazing that later he stated for the record that in fact if he were IN the US Senate and had been given the same intel they were given he might have voted for the War. In other words, he admitted later that he did not , in fact, have enough knowledge to be for or against the war when he made that Speech.

Yup, isn't it amazing that later he stated for the record that in fact if he were IN the US Senate and had been given the same intel they were given he might have voted for the War. In other words, he admitted later that he did not , in fact, have enough knowledge to be for or against the war when he made that Speech.

No. He didn't say he didn't have the knowledge to make that speech. He WAS, however, smart enough to acknowledge that with different information, people are capable of making different decisions.

Imagine that, someone who actually changes course based on new information.

How different that would be from the last 7 years.

No. He didn't say he didn't have the knowledge to make that speech. He WAS, however, smart enough to acknowledge that with different information, people are capable of making different decisions.

Imagine that, someone who actually changes course based on new information.

How different that would be from the last 7 years.

Wrong, he clearly states in the speech that he thinks the Iraq war is a Dumb war. Then later he admits " hey maybe if I had the facts...."

I wouldn't take a test against an intel geek. That's how you get the 02 MOS, right? Human data processors ...

They are both so much smarter then me, should be a walk in the park, why listening to them I will be lucky to break an 80. Ohh I was a Tech not an Intel guy. 28 MOS

Wrong, he clearly states in the speech that he thinks the Iraq war is a Dumb war. Then later he admits " hey maybe if I had the facts...."

The Iraq War IS a dumb war...

what he *maybe* would have done had he been privvy to the cherrypicked intel the congress got is a whole other issue which makes the Iraq war no less dumb.

Weren't you in another thread proclaiming your superior intellect? I see you're proving it here.:rolleyes:

Sometimes I take a break, and sometimes I just dumb it down for your comprehension.

Don't hate me because I'm liberal. Hate me because I'm smarter than you. :razz:

The Iraq War IS a dumb war...

what he *maybe* would have done had he been privvy to the cherrypicked intel the congress got is a whole other issue which makes the Iraq war no less dumb.

Still waiting for one of you lawyers and really smart people to provide one shred of evidence that Bush illegally controlled the intel the Congress got. And while you are at it provide the evidence how he got Clintons and other leading democrats to say the same thing, how he brainwashed everyone in Europe starting in 1991.

I won't hold my breath though.

Sometimes I take a break, and sometimes I just dumb it down for your comprehension.

Don't hate me because I'm liberal. Hate me because I'm smarter than you. :razz:

I don't hate liberals. I'd ahve to hate my whole family. I do however despise hacks who do nothing post generic libnut talking points. It appears you know them all.

I'm hardly concerned that you are smarter than I. You've already proven you're dumber'n a recruit.

Forum List

Back