The Space Shuttle Landed This Morning

Astronauts Evacuate to Soyuz Spacecraft as Junk Nearly Hits International Space Station

It was difficult to do this with a shuttle, considering there was rarely a shuttle docked to the station. There is always a Soyuz docked.

Yes but there was always a Shuttle on standby to go into orbit for a Patriotic rescue mission incase there was trouble. Do the Russians have that capability? Be honest.

Guess Russia is celebrating today.

Russia declares 'era of Soyuz' after shuttle
AFPAFP – 20 hrs ago

Moscow on Thursday declared it is now "the era of the Soyuz" after the US shuttle's last flight left the Russian system as the sole means for delivering astronauts to the International Space Station.

Far less glamorous than the horizontal-landing winged shuttle, the principle of Russia's Soyuz rocket and capsule system for sending humans into space has changed little since Yuri Gagarin became the first man in orbit in 1961.

But after the successful landing of the US Space Shuttle Atlantis Thursday drew the curtain on the 30-year US space shuttle programme, it is now the only vehicle which can propel astronauts towards the ISS.

"From today, the era of the Soyuz has started in manned space flight, the era of reliability," the Russian space agency Roskosmos said in a statement.

Russia declares 'era of Soyuz' after shuttle - Yahoo! News

Obama also cheers the end of American Extraterrestrial colonialism

Yes but there was always a Shuttle on standby to go into orbit for a Patriotic rescue mission incase there was trouble. Do the Russians have that capability? Be honest.

Guess Russia is celebrating today.

Russia declares 'era of Soyuz' after shuttle
AFPAFP – 20 hrs ago

Moscow on Thursday declared it is now "the era of the Soyuz" after the US shuttle's last flight left the Russian system as the sole means for delivering astronauts to the International Space Station.

Far less glamorous than the horizontal-landing winged shuttle, the principle of Russia's Soyuz rocket and capsule system for sending humans into space has changed little since Yuri Gagarin became the first man in orbit in 1961.

But after the successful landing of the US Space Shuttle Atlantis Thursday drew the curtain on the 30-year US space shuttle programme, it is now the only vehicle which can propel astronauts towards the ISS.

"From today, the era of the Soyuz has started in manned space flight, the era of reliability," the Russian space agency Roskosmos said in a statement.

Russia declares 'era of Soyuz' after shuttle - Yahoo! News

Obama also cheers the end of American Extraterrestrial colonialism

"American Exceptionalism ends in our troposphere," he declared with his lips turning bluer.

"From this day forward, for as long as I am your President," the soon to be ex-President intoned, "when Americans have any mission in Space, the World can expect to hear one word from us: 'TAXI!'."

oh....ok so Space On Line Today is some how a more reliable source than the Guardian Newspapers Science Section?......i would never have known.....by the way.....last week in Air & Space Magazine i believe it was.....they said much the same thing as what the Guardian writer said.....the Soyez is limited in its ability to get Crew and Equipment up there in case of a Major repair job.....so i guess its what ever you wanna believe........

quite probably, yes.

UK Guardian story...
Tom Parfitt
MA in politics at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies in London.

Space Online Today...
edited by
Anthony R. Curtis, Ph.D.

one of only twelve private Internet publications granted a link from NASA's hotlist page.
I served as an editor for Popular Mechanics magazine and then founded Modern Electronics magazine, creating a staff of editors, authors and artists.

Honors:

Apple Distinguished Educator, 2000-present
Educational Advisor to the American Radio Relay League, 2000-present
NASA Solar System Ambassador, 2000-present
Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 2000-present, nominated by students
Marquis Who's Who, 2004-present
Marquis International Who's Who, 2006-present
Faculty Senator, University of North Carolina at Pembroke, 2006-2012
Outstanding Academic Advisor Award, Salisbury State University
Distinguished Faculty Award, nominee, Salisbury State University
Excellence In Teaching Award, nominee, Mortar Board, Hood College
Outstanding Teaching Award, nominee, UNC-Pembroke.
Outstanding Newswriting, C.B. Lartz Award, Sharon Herald daily newspaper
Outstanding Program Award for radio and television production, College of Communication, Ohio University
Awards for public service communications work on behalf of communities in disasters
Web sites have received awards for design and content.

yeah... wtf does HE know, compared to a guy with an MA in politics at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies in London, right?

so its one guys opinion.....got it......ill take Air & Space Mags opinion over both writers......and they say that the Soyuz is limited in what it can do compared to the Shuttle.....

Astronauts Evacuate to Soyuz Spacecraft as Junk Nearly Hits International Space Station
Astronauts on board the International Space Station had to rush into two docked Soyuz spaceships as space debris nearly missed their homebase, passing just 250 meters (820 feet) from it. In space, that's a pretty close call.

It was difficult to do this with a shuttle, considering there was rarely a shuttle docked to the station. There is always a Soyuz docked.

you honestly think it's faster to prep and launch a shuttle for an emergency, than it is to enter an already attached soyuz capsule?

Really?

so its one guys opinion.....got it......ill take Air & Space Mags opinion over both writers......and they say that the Soyuz is limited in what it can do compared to the Shuttle.....

Of course it has limitations, some of which the shuttle did not have. No one is denying that.

The issue here isn't how much weight can the shuttle carry vs. the soyuz... or how big a piece or equipment can it carry (regardless of the shuttle or soyus taking scientific equipment up, it all has to fit though the same airlocks, remember?).

The issues are cost, safety, etc.

There are so many other areas of Obama's presidency to be truly pissed about... I just don't see his following yet another Bush era policy decision as one of them.

Until we somehow manage to restore enough of NASA's budget to replace the shuttle, or until the commercial industry gets off the ground (see what I did there?), hitching a ride with the Russians is the most cost effective, safest option.

I admit I haven't checked out a Soyuz lately, but the large crane arm of a space shuttle seems pretty helpful with large exterior projects and new attachments. I can't speak for anyone else, but the space program was inspirational in my interests in science.

I admit I haven't checked out a Soyuz lately, but the large crane arm of a space shuttle seems pretty helpful with large exterior projects and new attachments. I can't speak for anyone else, but the space program was inspirational in my interests in science.

The ISS has Canadarm2, big brother of the Canadar on the shuttle. It can go anywhere outside the ISS that it's needed to go.

NASA - The Canadian Crane
Canadarm has been such a success that it led to the bigger and better Canadarm2, which is a part of the ISS.

Besides lifting heavy payloads and moving parts of the ISS into place during construction, Canadarm2 assists with docking the Space Shuttle to the Space Station. While the Canadarm on the Shuttle can reach and move with flexibility, the ISS arm can also move end over end in an inchworm-like movement to reach many parts of the ISS. As the Station grows ever larger, this is a feature that will come in handy.

Canadarm2 receives its power from Power Data Grapple Fixtures (PDGF) on the ISS, which are much like electrical outlets spaced throughout homes on Earth. Canadarm2 can move anywhere that a PDGF is available. Because it uses the PDGF for power, the arm isn't permanently mounted to one particular spot on the Station. Latching End Effectors (LEEs) at each end of the arm provide power, data, and video signals to the arm when connected to the PDGF. Imagine someone running a vacuum cleaner in the house and unplugging it when moving from room to room. That's something like what happens with the Canadarm2 on the ISS.

As someone who grew up proud of America's achievements in space, this tears my heart out. Obama's kiss of death on our Space Shuttle Program means the end of Mission Control.

I can't wait until this Marxist motherfucker is booted out of the WH.

Clear Forecast for Final Shuttle Landing - weather.com

Just one more reason I'm thinking of voting against him come 2012. It's especially troubling as you're reading scientists get excited about the possibility of H3 being a powerful new source of clean energy.... and its on the Moon. Which we got to first. Which we no longer have a way to get to.

God Damn It.

Of course it has limitations, some of which the shuttle did not have. No one is denying that.

The issue here isn't how much weight can the shuttle carry vs. the soyuz... or how big a piece or equipment can it carry (regardless of the shuttle or soyus taking scientific equipment up, it all has to fit though the same airlocks, remember?).

There are so many other areas of Obama's presidency to be truly pissed about... I just don't see his following yet another Bush era policy decision as one of them.

Until we somehow manage to restore enough of NASA's budget to replace the shuttle, or until the commercial industry gets off the ground (see what I did there?), hitching a ride with the Russians is the most cost effective, safest option.

my thing with this is......i heard maybe 10 years ago that the Shuttles were getting old and will need to be replaced......today we should have new more advanced Shuttles working right now.....but then that is one big negative about Govt Programs......they just dont seem to look ahead and plan ......they wait for it to actually happen and then are stymied for a bunch of years because of their inaction....thats my take.....where i work the PO is just like that....

my thing with this is......i heard maybe 10 years ago that the Shuttles were getting old and will need to be replaced......today we should have new more advanced Shuttles working right now.....but then that is one big negative about Govt Programs......they just dont seem to look ahead and plan ......they wait for it to actually happen and then are stymied for a bunch of years because of their inaction....thats my take.....where i work the PO is just like that....

I have yet to hear truer words spoken.

Forum List

Back