The Sound of Settled Science

NatGeo;

Stone tools found in the Philippines predate the arrival of modern humans to the islands by roughly 600,000 years—but researchers aren’t sure who made them.

The eye-popping artifacts, unveiled on Wednesday in Nature, were abandoned on a river floodplain on the island of Luzon beside the butchered carcass of a rhinoceros. The ancient toolmakers were clearly angling for a meal. Two of the rhino’s limb bones are smashed in, as if someone was trying to harvest and eat the marrow inside. Cut marks left behind by stone blades crisscross the rhino’s ribs and ankle, a clear sign that someone used tools to strip the carcass of meat.

But the age of the remains makes them especially remarkable: The carved bones are most likely between 631,000 and 777,000 years old, with researchers’ best estimate coming in around 709,000 years old. The research—partially funded by the National Geographic Society—pushes back occupation of the Philippines to before the known origin of our species, Homo sapiens.

Bonus:

…it’s an open question how these hominins crossed open ocean.

Every “fact” you learn about the history of mankind is just a wild guess waiting for evidence to prove it wrong.
No, it's not a "wild guess," but they should be saying "the earliest (human, civilization, tool) we have found so far" The more awesome archeological tools and exploration becomes, the more we are discovering.
I have always felt that humans have a much richer history than we know, and that many cycles of civilization have existed and blown away.
I have also always questioned that humans only evolved in Africa. I believe that is the only place we've found them, but anywhere and everywhere simultaneously makes as much sense to me.
Proving yet again when one doesn't believe in God, one will believe anything.
It can be argued that believing in god is "believing in anything"
Here’s my theory.
Man was created with high intelligence, quickly learned to build boats and thus you have your answer to this supposed mystery.
LOL At best, Homo Sap is only about 300,000 years old. But Homo Erectus was around much earlier and was also a tool user. Most likely a site where Homo Erectus was butchering an animal.

NatGeo;

Stone tools found in the Philippines predate the arrival of modern humans to the islands by roughly 600,000 years—but researchers aren’t sure who made them.

The eye-popping artifacts, unveiled on Wednesday in Nature, were abandoned on a river floodplain on the island of Luzon beside the butchered carcass of a rhinoceros. The ancient toolmakers were clearly angling for a meal. Two of the rhino’s limb bones are smashed in, as if someone was trying to harvest and eat the marrow inside. Cut marks left behind by stone blades crisscross the rhino’s ribs and ankle, a clear sign that someone used tools to strip the carcass of meat.

But the age of the remains makes them especially remarkable: The carved bones are most likely between 631,000 and 777,000 years old, with researchers’ best estimate coming in around 709,000 years old. The research—partially funded by the National Geographic Society—pushes back occupation of the Philippines to before the known origin of our species, Homo sapiens.

Bonus:

…it’s an open question how these hominins crossed open ocean.

Every “fact” you learn about the history of mankind is just a wild guess waiting for evidence to prove it wrong.
No, it's not a "wild guess," but they should be saying "the earliest (human, civilization, tool) we have found so far" The more awesome archeological tools and exploration becomes, the more we are discovering.
I have always felt that humans have a much richer history than we know, and that many cycles of civilization have existed and blown away.
I have also always questioned that humans only evolved in Africa. I believe that is the only place we've found them, but anywhere and everywhere simultaneously makes as much sense to me.
Proving yet again when one doesn't believe in God, one will believe anything.
It can be argued that believing in god is "believing in anything"
Here’s my theory.
Man was created with high intelligence, quickly learned to build boats and thus you have your answer to this supposed mystery.
LOL At best, Homo Sap is only about 300,000 years old. But Homo Erectus was around much earlier and was also a tool user. Most likely a site where Homo Erectus was butchering an animal.
Did they fly there or ?

I too wonder how they crossed the ocean, if they did.
They say our ancestors that came to america 13K years ago either crossed the land bridge or used a raft of some sort.
The earliest water travel we have found is only, what, 6K years or so? Cant remember exactly.
The more we find out, the closer we get. However we will never actually "get there" IMO
Unless the aliens that created us come back and explain :)

Negatory. They crossed to America by inflating tire tubes and drifting over open ocean to get away from Catro's great, great, great, great, great, grandpa.

Forum List

Back