The Sons of Confederate Veterans in South Carolina Celebrate Secession - have "Ball"

Members of South Carolina’s NAACP will march in protest of a “secession ball” in Charleston later this month which will commemorate the 150th anniversary of South Carolina’s secession from the Union.

State NAACP leaders held two press conferences Friday, spreading the word they will protest the ball and any other sesquicentennial events that they deem disrespectful.

“We are not opposed to observances,” said Lonnie Randolph, state president of the NAACP. “We are opposed to disrespect.”

South Carolina Celebrates Secession | FrumForum

Confederate.jpg

Can you celebrate secession without celebrating slavery? That question seems to be the core tension surrounding the upcoming celebrations of the American Civil War’s 150-year anniversary. The New York Times recently reported on a series of events over the next four years that commemorate the sesquicentennial, including a “Secession Ball,” a candlelight memorial at Antietam, a parade in Montgomery, Alabama, and a mock swearing-in of the Confederacy’s would-be president, Jefferson Davis.

But the failure to recognize the role of slavery at all has left several others aghast. Lonnie Randolph, the president of the South Carolina chapter of the NAACP told the New York Times that promoting the Confederacy’s idea of “states’ rights” really refers to “their idea of one right — to buy and sell human beings.”

Can you celebrate secession without celebrating slavery? | Need to Know

"I am a veteran," Meeks said. "I respect all veterans - even those in the Civil War that fought on the wrong side of slavery.
"I don't agree with what the South had them fighting for. But this is America. I am an American. They have the freedom of speech. Freedom of expression."
Melvin Poole, another veteran who happens to be president of the Rock Hill branch of the NAACP, will be in Charleston marching against the ball that will celebrate those who fought to preserve slavery.
This in a state where the Confederate flag still flies in front of the Statehouse, reminding every black and white person of this state's slave past - and its inability to put that past behind it.
"What this group is doing is offensive," Poole said. "They can do it. That doesn't mean they should do it."

YORK COUNTY | Black veterans: We fought for right to celebrate secession - wrong or right | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

And what Governor of Arkansas made the Saturday before Easter "Confederate Flag Day"?
The Arkansas Code, Section 1-5-107. Confederate Flag Day.
(a) The Saturday immediately preceding Easter Sunday of each year is designated as "Confederate Flag Day" in this state.
No person, firm, or corporation shall display any Confederate flag or replica thereof in connection with any advertisement of any commercial enterprise, or in any manner for any purpose except to honor the Confederate States of America.
Any person, firm, or corporation violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000).

"In April 1985, Governor Bill Clinton signed Act 985 into law...'
Mark R. Levin on Trent Lott & Moral Outrage on National Review Online

100 evil things are accomplished. Republicans do 99 of those 100 evil things. But it's OK, because they found a "Democrat" who also did "1" evil thing.

And so it goes. The Republicans never rise higher than the lowest bar.

You have to hand it to Democrats, when one of their members, whether it's Rangle or whoever, they punish them. But Republicans? Boehner passing out bribes on the House floor just before a vote, Gingrich, Vitter getting a standing ovation after returning from whoring in two states. The only time Republicans don't rally around their own is when it involves something gay. Was there a single Republican who criticized the apology to BP? Imagine if Democrats did that. Or if one of Obama's daughters became pregnant (if she were a little older).

It's as if people expect Democrats to have a higher standard. I say "good". Democrats should have a higher standard. I never expect anything from Republicans, not anything worthwhile. Why should I? What have the done that anyone would be proud of?

100 evil things are accomplished. Republicans do 99 of those 100 evil things. But it's OK, because they found a "Democrat" who also did "1" evil thing.

You have to hand it to Democrats, when one of their members, whether it's Rangle or whoever, they punish them.
This is pure partisan bigotry - especially the last part.

Members of South Carolina’s NAACP will march in protest of a “secession ball” in Charleston later this month which will commemorate the 150th anniversary of South Carolina’s secession from the Union.

State NAACP leaders held two press conferences Friday, spreading the word they will protest the ball and any other sesquicentennial events that they deem disrespectful.

“We are not opposed to observances,” said Lonnie Randolph, state president of the NAACP. “We are opposed to disrespect.”

South Carolina Celebrates Secession | FrumForum

Confederate.jpg

Can you celebrate secession without celebrating slavery? That question seems to be the core tension surrounding the upcoming celebrations of the American Civil War’s 150-year anniversary. The New York Times recently reported on a series of events over the next four years that commemorate the sesquicentennial, including a “Secession Ball,” a candlelight memorial at Antietam, a parade in Montgomery, Alabama, and a mock swearing-in of the Confederacy’s would-be president, Jefferson Davis.

But the failure to recognize the role of slavery at all has left several others aghast. Lonnie Randolph, the president of the South Carolina chapter of the NAACP told the New York Times that promoting the Confederacy’s idea of “states’ rights” really refers to “their idea of one right — to buy and sell human beings.”

Can you celebrate secession without celebrating slavery? | Need to Know

"I am a veteran," Meeks said. "I respect all veterans - even those in the Civil War that fought on the wrong side of slavery.
"I don't agree with what the South had them fighting for. But this is America. I am an American. They have the freedom of speech. Freedom of expression."
Melvin Poole, another veteran who happens to be president of the Rock Hill branch of the NAACP, will be in Charleston marching against the ball that will celebrate those who fought to preserve slavery.
This in a state where the Confederate flag still flies in front of the Statehouse, reminding every black and white person of this state's slave past - and its inability to put that past behind it.
"What this group is doing is offensive," Poole said. "They can do it. That doesn't mean they should do it."

YORK COUNTY | Black veterans: We fought for right to celebrate secession - wrong or right | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

And what Governor of Arkansas made the Saturday before Easter "Confederate Flag Day"?
(a) The Saturday immediately preceding Easter Sunday of each year is designated as "Confederate Flag Day" in this state.
No person, firm, or corporation shall display any Confederate flag or replica thereof in connection with any advertisement of any commercial enterprise, or in any manner for any purpose except to honor the Confederate States of America.
Any person, firm, or corporation violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000).

You have to hand it to Democrats, when one of their members, whether it's Rangle or whoever, they punish them. But Republicans? Boehner passing out bribes on the House floor just before a vote, Gingrich, Vitter getting a standing ovation after returning from whoring in two states. The only time Republicans don't rally around their own is when it involves something gay. Was there a single Republican who criticized the apology to BP? Imagine if Democrats did that. Or if one of Obama's daughters became pregnant (if she were a little older).

It's as if people expect Democrats to have a higher standard. I say "good". Democrats should have a higher standard. I never expect anything from Republicans, not anything worthwhile. Why should I? What have the done that anyone would be proud of?

Deanie, didn't you say that Republicans accomplish 6% of evil things???

If the membership of an organization is all Republicans, then it's a "Republican" organization. How could it not be?

One thing has nothing to do with the other. If it is not sanctioned by the Republican Party, it is not part of it. What is wrong with you, man? Are you so blinded by hate that reason has abandoned you? WTF! Grow up.

Do you really think they are democrats?

Provide evidence you sack of lying filth

Oh man, you are hilarious.

Here, you can check out notable members:

Sons of Confederate Veterans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now what's funny, there are SCVs in congress including Mitch McConnell and Joe Wilson. There were a number of notable Democrats, but they were before 1969 and most of them proclaim themselves as "strict segregationists". And one black.

Now this, about SCV Bob McDonnell is especially hilarious:

McDonnell's Confederate History Month proclamation irks civil rights leaders

RICHMOND -- Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, reviving a controversy that had been dormant for eight years, has declared that April will be Confederate History Month in Virginia, a move that angered civil rights leaders Tuesday but that political observers said would strengthen his position with his conservative base.

This is where is gets hilarious:

Sheila Johnson condemns Gov. McDonnell
This just in: Sheila Johnson, billionaire co-founder of Black Entertainment Television who endorsed Gov. Robert F. McDonnell (R-Va.) just sent me the following statement on "Confederate History Month."

PostPartisan - Sheila Johnson condemns Gov. McDonnell

You see, Sheila Johnson poured money into the campaign of Gov. McDonnell and the very first thing he did on his first day in office was to slap her face to ways to Sunday (metaphorically speaking).

If the membership of an organization is all Republicans, then it's a "Republican" organization. How could it not be? The membership of the Republican Log Cabin is all gays, so it is definitely a "gay group", but is it a "Republican" group? They think they are. But do other Republicans? Republicans will be much quicker to includes SCV members then they would "log cabin".

If the membership of an organization is all Republicans, then it's a "Republican" organization.
Is the membership all Republicans?
Does the same argument apply to NAMBLA?

Are you saying NAMBLA is all Republicans?

Are you saying you are the dumbest poster here?

rdean, I play racquetball every sunday afternoon with a group of guys.

We all happen to be regstered Republicans.

Does this make us a "Republican" organization. :cool:

You can't be a Republican, you're a Muslim. You must be a Democrat.... even if you are not aware of it.

You can't be a Republican, you're a Muslim. You must be a Democrat.... even if you are not aware of it.
So voting Republican almost all of my life.

And being a registered Republican don't count. :doubt:

So voting Republican almost all of my life.

And being a registered Republican don't count. :doubt:

Nope, you're a Democrat. Clearly you didn't get the meme.

There's a thing in this country called freedom of speech, freedom to gather and on and on and on. Sounds like the NAACP is just looking for some press time and ink in the paper. Most any time now you can look for Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton and the other cockroaches that come out of their holes when the air is ripe with stupidity. They need their face time with the camera too... If the NAACP really wanted to bring attention to this silly afair, they would simply ignore it. Except for the people that are actually going to go to the ball, nobody else really gives a shit about it.

There's a thing in this country called freedom of speech, freedom to gather and on and on and on. Sounds like the NAACP is just looking for some press time and ink in the paper. Most any time now you can look for Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton and the other cockroaches that come out of their holes when the air is ripe with stupidity. They need their face time with the camera too... If the NAACP really wanted to bring attention to this silly afair, they would simply ignore it. Except for the people that are actually going to go to the ball, nobody else really gives a shit about it.

And picketing people want to return to the good old days when blacks were slaves and there was no "black" guy in the "WHITE" House is just another way of expressing that "freedom" of speech. Remember, in the "Confederate South", they would have been either tortured, raped or lynched, and/or combinations of all three.

Deanie, didn't you say that Republicans accomplish 6% of evil things???

No, 6% of scientists are Republican. Keep up.

Forum List

Back