the small gd of Global Warming

Sep 12, 2008
I just finished an interesting book by Terry Pratchett called Small Gods. An interesting concept taken to logical extreme, as well as an interesting re working of Dostoyevsky's Grand Inquisitor.

Basic McGuffin is that gds exist and have power to the degree they are believed in. the gd Om is the official gd of the Omnian empire, which has a huge structure of deacons, priests, etc etc and a mighty empire full of citizens who make pilgrimages and do all the rote parts of religion. There is a huge and busy inquisition to make sure there is no heresy. But in all the empire, there is only one believer. Om and the believer have an interesting journey where Om learns a little, and the believer learns a lot.

Interesting parallel with the Global Warming deal. Large numbers of believers pushed their ideas on a recalcitrant public, and now, with the cap and trade deal, they have reached POWER. But examining the reality of cap and trade, there seems to be nothing left of belief anymore, just power. Heresy is jumped on, not because it endangers belief, of which there seems to be none anymore, but because in endangers power. Now the environmentalists who have pushed this have got the tool, but they have lost the goal

What we have is a policy to drive more businesses out of the country where they won't get taxed as what's coming down the pipeline. They will leave and take their money and business to other countries that have no cap and trade bill in the pipeline. They will be hiring and spending money in those countries. This will drive up the cost of those products that have been sent overseas. Just one way will be through higher tarriffs placed on the product, which will then be passed on to the consumer. There will be less employment which would equate to higher unemployment for this country. This would be just the tip of the iceberg.
Now the businesses that are left will have to pay larger fees, and taxes which would also make the consumer pay. Clothing, transportation, energy as in gas, and electric, etc.
Having said that, the poverty level at 150% will be getting a check in the mail or electronic deposit every month from the government. This is another tax the rest will have to pay.

Oh yeah....I just love this cap and trade idea, I can't imagine why other countries aren't jumping on board with us........their probably laughing at us.

Last edited:
Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is just the 2009 redux of pantheism. It's nothing new, it's just got a new name and set of bumper stickers.

The way they behave to anyone who questions them, they also have a Holy Office and an Index.

I don't believe they will burn at the stake yet. Not without carbon offset credits anyway.

The way they behave to anyone who questions them, they also have a Holy Office and an Index.

I don't believe they will burn at the stake yet. Not without carbon offset credits anyway.

Carbon Credits are nothing more than indulgences paid to the Holy Church of Al Gore's Global Warming Caused By Evil America.

Oh yeah....I just love this cap and trade idea, I can't imagine why other countries aren't jumping on board with us........their probably laughing at us.

Cap and trade is already a demonstrable failure in several European countries that have tried it.

Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is just the 2009 redux of pantheism. It's nothing new, it's just got a new name and set of bumper stickers.

Ya think?

Climate changes Europe's borders – and the world's - environment - 27 March 2009 - New Scientist

Italy and Switzerland are planning to redraw their shared alpine border, as global warming is melting the glaciers that originally guided the line. Although peaceful, the move raises fears of future conflicts over shifting borders and resources.

Imagine that. Somebody must be intentionally pouring something on the mountains to make the ice melt.

Ya think?

Climate changes Europe's borders – and the world's - environment - 27 March 2009 - New Scientist

Italy and Switzerland are planning to redraw their shared alpine border, as global warming is melting the glaciers that originally guided the line. Although peaceful, the move raises fears of future conflicts over shifting borders and resources.

Imagine that. Somebody must be intentionally pouring something on the mountains to make the ice melt.

So, what do you think is causing the ice to melt in those areas? :eusa_whistle:

Irrelevant. The average global temperature went down last year, and has been flat or down for the previous 10, despite higher than ever CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere. That means there is no correlation between CO2 and the average global temperature.

It's funny, but the giant flaming gas ball of white-hot nuclear fusion we call " the sun" has a more tangible and noticeable affect on global warming year to year than all the cars driving on this planet - which have none. Liberals, however, are only worried about SUVs and cow farts. Amazing.

You don't know how long those glaciers have been there, and therefore you don't know if their current recession is within the normal ebb and flow that takes place or not. For all you know, since you weren't alive 1000 years ago, and since nobody studied glaciers like we do now 1000 years ago, the glaciers are actually far too big and are covering up fertile farmland that could feed people in Africa. Or, they're just the right size, and the amount they've receded is within one standard deviation of the normal ebb and flow. Or, they're smaller than they've ever been because of 500 years of above-average solar sunspot activity.

Apparently history for you only started a couple hundred years ago (at best), and everything that took place prior to that didn't actually happen, and isn't relevant for current consideration. That's the only explanation I can find for why you have such a narrow view of history.

Forum List

Back