The sleazy advocacy of a leading "liberal hawk"

QUENTIN

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2008
Texas
The sleazy advocacy of a leading "liberal hawk"

Peter Galbraith's vast, undisclosed financial interests in the policies he spent years advocating as an "expert."

The New York Times today details the unbelievably sleazy story of Peter Galbraith, one of the Democratic Party's leading so-called "liberal hawks" and a generally revered Wise Man of America's Foreign Policy Community. He was Ambassador to Croatia under the Clinton administration in the mid-1990s and, in March, 2009, the Obama administration (specifically, Richard Holbrooke, Galbraith's mentor) successfully pressured the U.N. to name Galbraith as the second-in-command in Afghanistan. The NYT does a good job today of adding some important details to the story, but it was actually uncovered by Norwegian investigative journalists and reported at length a month ago in pieces such as this one by Helena Cobban. In essence, this highly Serious man has corruptly concealed vast financial stakes in the very policies and positions he has spent years advocating while pretending to be an independent expert.

Galbraith was one of the most vocal Democratic supporters of the attack on Iraq, having signed a March 19, 2003 public letter (.pdf) -- along with the standard cast of neocon war-lovers such as Bill Kristol, Max Boot, Danielle Pletka, and Robert Kagan -- stating that "we all join in supporting the military intervention in Iraq" and "it is now time to act to remove Saddam Hussein and his regime from power." As intended, that letter was then praised by outlets such as The Washington Post Editorial Page, gushing that "it is both significant and encouraging that a bipartisan group of influential foreign policy thinkers, veterans of both Democratic and Republican administrations, has signed on to a statement of policy on Iraq that makes sense on the war." Throughout 2002 and 2003, Galbraith appeared in numerous outlets -- including repeatedly on Fox News and with Bill O'Reilly -- presenting himself as a loyal Democrat firmly behind the invasion of Iraq. In 2002, he was an adviser to Paul Wolfowitz on Kurdistan.

Rules of fair use prohibit posting entire pieces.

~Dude

Nothing at all like Cheny and Haliburton, no bid contracts, etc?

Or how big wheels from finiancial companies become finiancial leaders in our government?

Yeah it sucks but that seems to be what politics has degraded to. And it is not a partisan thing either.
Or how ex senators and reps get jobs after leaving office in the businesses they regulated and bought from with our money?

Last edited:
Huh? I'm not putting a partisan spin on it. Jeez. Where do you see me saying it's any different than Cheney's even worse interests in the war?

I criticize Bush and his invasion and occupations and illegal domestic activities and the community here condemns me as a partisan democrat. I condemn a leading war-proponent in the democratic party who has serious financial ties to every important policy he's had a hand in and the community here condemns me as a partisan republican.

Can't you just think the invasions and occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan are inhumane, illegal bullshit and oppose all the politicians who made them happen? I'm a progressive who doesn't like either national party. Not a partisan of anything. You folks need to discuss more ideas and policy and less about parties and sides.

Last edited:
Rep. Conyers Issues Report Identifying 26 Laws Broken by Bush Admin | BuzzFlash.org

•Deception of Congress and the American Public
◦Committing a Fraud Against the United States (18 U.S.C. § 371)
◦Making False Statements Against the United States (18 U.S.C. § 1001)

◦War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93-148)
◦Misuse of Government Funds (31 U.S.C. § 1301)
•Improper Detention, Torture, and Other Inhumane Treatment
◦Anti-Torture Statute (18 U.S.C. § 2340-40A)
◦The War Crimes Act (18 U.S.C. § 2441)
◦The Geneva Conventions and Hague Convention: International Laws Governing the Treatment of Detainees
◦United Nations Convention Against Torture, and Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment: International Laws Governing the Treatment of Detainees
◦Command Responsibility (for known illegal acts of subordinates in the military)
◦Detainment of Material Witnesses (18 U.S.C. § 3144)
•Retaliating against Witnesses and Other Individuals
◦Obstruction Congress (18 U.S.C. § 1505)
◦Whistleblower Protection (5 U.S.C. § 2302)
◦The Lloyd-LaFollette Act, or "anti-gag rule" (5 U.S.C. § 7211)
◦Retaliating against Witnesses (18 U.S.C. § 1513)
•Leaking and other Misuse of Intelligence and other Government Information
◦Revealing Classified Information in Contravention of Federal Regulations (Executive Order 12958/Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement)
◦Statutory Prohibitions on Leaking Information (18 U.S.C. § 641, etc.)
•Laws Governing Electronic Surveillance
◦Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (50 U.S.C. § 1801, et seq.)
◦National Security Act of 1947 (50 U.S.C. chapter 15)
◦Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. § 222)
◦Stored Communications Act of 1986 (18 U.S.C. § 2702)
◦Pen Registers or Trap and Trace Devices (18 U.S.C. § 3121)
•Laws and Guidelines Prohibiting Conflicts of Interest (28 U.S.C. § 528, etc.)

thumbes up US you called BS where Bs needed to be called

Cutting an pasting an article without commenting on it, is not - to an educated person - calling bullshit. It is copy and pasting an article.

I call idiot. On this, I am correct - because you are one. See how that works? I read the OP, then I read your comment and, on the evidence provided by you, I suggest you're an idiot.

Rep. Conyers Issues Report Identifying 26 Laws Broken by Bush Admin | BuzzFlash.org

•Deception of Congress and the American Public
◦Committing a Fraud Against the United States (18 U.S.C. § 371)
◦Making False Statements Against the United States (18 U.S.C. § 1001)

◦War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93-148)
◦Misuse of Government Funds (31 U.S.C. § 1301)
•Improper Detention, Torture, and Other Inhumane Treatment
◦Anti-Torture Statute (18 U.S.C. § 2340-40A)
◦The War Crimes Act (18 U.S.C. § 2441)
◦The Geneva Conventions and Hague Convention: International Laws Governing the Treatment of Detainees
◦United Nations Convention Against Torture, and Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment: International Laws Governing the Treatment of Detainees
◦Command Responsibility (for known illegal acts of subordinates in the military)
◦Detainment of Material Witnesses (18 U.S.C. § 3144)
•Retaliating against Witnesses and Other Individuals
◦Obstruction Congress (18 U.S.C. § 1505)
◦Whistleblower Protection (5 U.S.C. § 2302)
◦The Lloyd-LaFollette Act, or "anti-gag rule" (5 U.S.C. § 7211)
◦Retaliating against Witnesses (18 U.S.C. § 1513)
•Leaking and other Misuse of Intelligence and other Government Information
◦Revealing Classified Information in Contravention of Federal Regulations (Executive Order 12958/Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement)
◦Statutory Prohibitions on Leaking Information (18 U.S.C. § 641, etc.)
•Laws Governing Electronic Surveillance
◦Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (50 U.S.C. § 1801, et seq.)
◦National Security Act of 1947 (50 U.S.C. chapter 15)
◦Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. § 222)
◦Stored Communications Act of 1986 (18 U.S.C. § 2702)
◦Pen Registers or Trap and Trace Devices (18 U.S.C. § 3121)
•Laws and Guidelines Prohibiting Conflicts of Interest (28 U.S.C. § 528, etc.)

FAIL!!!!!!!
Soccer%20Fail.jpg

And he wanted to make Russel Crowe from LA Confidential CIA director, he thought he would be perfect as he is a Kiwi pretending to be an Aussie and an actor.

Forum List

Back