The Slave Dock.

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Here ya Go Usapride..I found two..I may have more..
The first is looking toward the river down the covered dock where the slaves were
unloaded for a short walk (as I recall) to the Market House.
14498_Capefear02.jpg

This one is looking down from the end of the dock to the water. There must have been a stairway. I don't know anything about the boat, it was just junked there. Both pics taken in 1975-76.
14505_CapeFear1.jpg

Wow!!! I don't think that dock's there anymore but that boat sure as hell is!!
This is really amazing!! :D

Editted to say Thank you!!!! How rude of me!

UsaPride said:
Wow!!! I don't think that dock's there anymore but that boat sure as hell is!!
This is really amazing!! :D

Editted to say Thank you!!!! How rude of me!
The dock is gone but the boat's there?
What a shame....Glad I have the pic.
And now, so do you..a bit of your towns history.

Thank you so much!!! I was trying to do some quick research and find something out about that dock but I can't. I'll keep looking though. There's bound to be something somewhere.
This really is awesome, thank you so much!!!!! :D

UsaPride said:
Thank you so much!!! I was trying to do some quick research and find something out about that dock but I can't. I'll keep looking though. There's bound to be something somewhere.
This really is awesome, thank you so much!!!!! :D
What's the official name of the dock???

Good gracious, Mr. P. I've looked up so much, I've learned more about this town in the past 4 hours then I already knew, LOL! Okay, not quite, but close!!
Still can't find anything on that dang dock though. Still looking.....

I wish I could tell you more. All I remember is seeing a sign or maybe being told about the dock when I took the pics. Something that day fit the dock with the Market House and the slave trade. I just don't remember what it was.
Maybe it's not true at all.

You know, all my life I've been told that they sold slaves at the Market House. A few years ago my mom heard that it was all a myth. Well, all day today, between looking for the dock, the Market House, and the history of Fayetteville and Cape Fear River, I couldn't find much about slaves and the Market House. I seen one site that said they sold slaves and one that said it was a myth, other than that, all the sites I read there was nothing about slaves being sold at the Market House.
I'll keep looking because I'm really interested in knowing now.
I showed my husband these pics when he got home. You should have seen his face when he seen that boat, LOL!! He just seen it for the first time a few years ago so that was kinda cool, LOL!

Forum List

Back