The Singularity

Now I know why I have never really liked science fiction: the worlds the authors create are invariably unappealing to me. I read this linked article in the NY Times and my whole body just shuddered.

In the Singularity Movement, Humans Are So Yesterday - NYTimes.com

What say you? Is any of this likely? Which part?

Of course it will happen. It's happening now. I predict in a couple hundred years that robotic bodies will be available to replace human bodies for those who want them.

• Banned
For those who want and can afford them, you mean. I find the prospect of a world full to overflowing with the likes of Donald Trump so repulsive I can barely speak.

Tell me something...when people can live forever, will they still be able to reproduce?

• Banned
That linked article wasn't especially helpful to me, dilloduck. What say you on the reproductive powers of wealthy people with greatly extended lifespans?

For those who want and can afford them, you mean. I find the prospect of a world full to overflowing with the likes of Donald Trump so repulsive I can barely speak.

Tell me something...when people can live forever, will they still be able to reproduce?

Of course. As long as they have DNA, they'll find a way.

Now I know why I have never really liked science fiction: the worlds the authors create are invariably unappealing to me. I read this linked article in the NY Times and my whole body just shuddered.

Some may choose to go that way,

but my money's on Stem Cells, Cloning and Genetic Engineering,

since a major amount of the Beauty of Life are the Sensations of Life,

and you just can't make metal feel.

And, I agree ~ it will only be available to the UBER rich, once it's out of R&D.

Last edited:

Some may choose to go that way,

but my money's on Stem Cells, Cloning and Genetic Engineering,

since a major amount of the Beauty of Life are the Sensations of Life,

and you just can't make metal feel.

And, I agree ~ it will only be available to the UBER rich, once it's out of R&D.

Certainly is possible and metal does not have to feel per say. There is the real possibility that hybrid bodies would be the way to go but the article was not on this at all. It was about transcendence, basically evolving to a collective. Why do you think that it would only be available to the uber rich? Economics would still prevail and the demand for such an item would invariable force its supply to increase. Everyone would want one and I believe that everyone would have the chance excepting the super poor.

No worries, the Sun will explode in something like 4 or 5 billion years and even Trump will bite the dust.

"Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia." Kurt Vonnegut

Check out Nick Bostrom, another serious person concerned with immortality.

Nick Bostrom's Home Page

Forum List

Back