the shrimp problem

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i love shrimp....i have since since i was a small child electing to make shrimp a major part of my diet...

i live in the mountains....yea not the best idea but really no problem until...lowes foods went to thailand farm raised shrimp...they have lost the majority of my business...to harris teeter..they still have wild caught shrimp...

so for a couple of weeks there has been a roadside 'shrimp stand' a guy with scales...a truck and a lot of coolers...i have not stopped...thinking seafood should not be gotten from a roadside stand unless you are within 10 miles of the coast.

i am thinking of trying to go there today...the roadside shrimp stand and try it...

i love shrimp....i have since since i was a small child electing to make shrimp a major part of my diet...

i live in the mountains....yea not the best idea but really no problem until...lowes foods went to thailand farm raised shrimp...they have lost the majority of my business...to harris teeter..they still have wild caught shrimp...

so for a couple of weeks there has been a roadside 'shrimp stand' a guy with scales...a truck and a lot of coolers...i have not stopped...thinking seafood should not be gotten from a roadside stand unless you are within 10 miles of the coast.

i am thinking of trying to go there today...the roadside shrimp stand and try it...

I don't know Strollingbones, I think you should stick with your initial thought. Seafood should definitely not be bought on the roadside off the back of a truck!!

We have those stands here but I'm in Louisiana, still a couple hundred miles north of the coast but I've never had a problem and have heard of no one having a problem. I say go for it, live on the edge:tongue:

Go for it . if they are firm upon thawing they aught to be ok and frozen once, mushy frozen and thawed to much.

whooooaaaa...you just said...shrimp !!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-NBLvWl6yc&feature=related]YouTube - Repo Man - Miller Waxes Philosophical[/ame]

Buy locally if at all possible. Shrimp are one of the easier foods to check for freshness. If they smell good then they are good. Bad shrimp or even ones that are just not fresh smell bad. They should smell sweet..bad ones smell like sewer. It is impossible to mask it.

So go and talk to the guy...ask him about his shrimp.Try a few and see how they are.

But smell them... bad shrimp smell BAD BAD BAD.

Buy locally if at all possible. Shrimp are one of the easier foods to check for freshness. If they smell good then they are good. Bad shrimp or even ones that are just not fresh smell bad. They should smell sweet..bad ones smell like sewer. It is impossible to mask it.

Yeah... I worked a boat years ago, and we sold them from a truck in front of the house.
If they look fresh, smell good, and the color looks like a normal shrimp, I say give em a try. You might be missing out on a real treat.

Forum List

Back