The Shovel Ready lie.

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
We have heard a lot about so called shovel ready projects that will be in the stimulus.

Here are the facts.

First and foremost. The TOTAL of all Infrastructure spending in this bill is 50 Billion or only 12.5% of the total Bill.

Second Even if every project was ready to start tomorrow. They are all projects that will take months if not years to complete. The money is not spent up front but rather all along as the project progresses on Paying People, and buying materials, etc. The Average bridge or Highway Project takes from 1 to 4 years to complete. So this so called emergency Stimulus is really a multi year slow installment plan.

Third the very idea that most or even half of these projects are shovel ready is a blatant lie. As we will see as they begin to get rolling many of them will be held up with more studies, and court cases, and EPA findings.

The Vast majority of the rest of the stimulus, not spent on tax cuts, is spent on suring up Medicaid, and other non Stimulative endeavors.

I know I know it's over the Train has left the station, but That will not stop me from Pointing out over and over again, That the first thing Obama and the New Congress did was to Lie to us all, and enact the largest spending bill in our history, and try and pass it off as an emergency stimulus package. Using Fear mongering, and talking down the Economy to pass it.

Very poor start IMO.

Last edited:
No link for any of your assertions?

The government has a highly publicized website dedicated to reporting full transparency for all the costs, expenditures, and contracts. I wish we’d had something like that for Bush’s Iraq war contracts for halliburtion.

We’ll have to rely on the website for facts and figures, over some unlinked assertions by a random message board poster.

Recovery.gov

Now, what you’re arguing is the equivalent of saying Bush lied in naming his “No child left behind” law. Is there one single American that thought it literally meant not one single child, zero, nada, zilch, would be left behind? Or course they didn’t. You need to give Americans some credit. They’re not stupid. Americans know politicians use marketing language. Everyone knows, and it was made abundantly clear by the administration that this wasn’t just an infrastructure bill. The states are cratering. The federal government is the only entity on the planet that can step in and help them pay their bills so they don’t crash and burn.

Everyone knows bridges take years to build. I’m not sure why you went on a rant about that. Americans are adults. They know that 700 billion isn’t going to be spent in the first week on “shovel ready” projects. I think you’re allowing yourself to get upset for no reason.

I for one, prefer to not hear any complaints from voters who voted to enable one trillion American dollars to be spent on Iraq and on Iraqi “reconstruction”. They don’t belong in the debate, and their voting choices brought us to this collapse. I would much rather have one trillion dollars spent on Americans, on infrastructure, on state aid, and on unemployment benefits for Americans. Its not a perfect solution, but 50 million bush voters put us in this hole, and averting an economic collapse is a fundamental core responsibility of a government of any modern developed nation-state.

lol, spending on Medicaid is shovel ready spending. Medicaid exists, does it not?

Maybe you are unable to understand metaphor.

how many new jobs will increased spending on medicaid provide? I can't find the figure anywhere?

what does protect the vulnerable mean?

lol, spending on Medicaid is shovel ready spending. Medicaid exists, does it not?

Spending on Medicaid does not stimulate the economy or put people to work.

FOOL!

Shovel ready has only been used to describe the 50 Billion in infrastructure spending in the bill Ravi. Do you take anything seriously? Do you deny that Construction Projects take a long time to complete?

Man you people are just ridicules.

Shovel ready would be my school's desire to have an addition put on, for library and tech. Won't happen as a parochial school, but many a public school would want the same. We need a classroom for art, another for music. We need a library/tech center not in the eves of the church. The 8th graders hit their heads on the ceilings and for every new book brought in, one needs to be discarded. There are few appropriate for jr. high, due to the nature of lower grades needing books. No room for unabridged dictionaries, no room for speakers for computers.

I'm hoping that my local Head Start will see the funds to complete our new building. It's ready to go. Foundation already pored. Just don't have the funds to finish it. We started the project before I came on board over 3 years ago.

I can't help but feel sorry for those people that were laid off because of the huge increases in government spending, including the bailouts and the previous (dis)stimulus packages... and the more that will surely be laid off because of this disstimulus package. Think how many private jobs can be created with that $800B left in the economy? A lot more than the 3 million, which will be about $260k/job, that Obama hopes to create. We're rolling steadily towards fascism, sadly enough.

I can't help but feel sorry for those people that were laid off because of the huge increases in government spending, including the bailouts and the previous (dis)stimulus packages... and the more that will surely be laid off because of this disstimulus package. Think how many private jobs can be created with that $800B left in the economy? A lot more than the 3 million, which will be about $260k/job, that Obama hopes to create. We're rolling steadily towards fascism, sadly enough.
fyi mash
the $800 billion IS NOT being taken out of the private sector of our economy or out of our pockets, it is money that is being BORROWED from foreign countries such as Saudi Arabia, Japan and China....

The TRILLION plus given to the Banks was also borrowed money....none of this has come from us....it will come from our children and grand children and great grand children and great great grand children....they are the ones stuck with this debt...

care

fyi mash
the $800 billion IS NOT being taken out of the private sector of our economy or out of our pockets, it is money that is being BORROWED from foreign countries such as Saudi Arabia, Japan and China....

The TRILLION plus given to the Banks was also borrowed money....none of this has come from us....it will come from our children and grand children and great grand children and great great grand children....they are the ones stuck with this debt...

care

Care, not being facetious, was THAT supposed to be reassuring? Think about it.

FOOL!

Shovel ready has only been used to describe the 50 Billion in infrastructure spending in the bill Ravi. Do you take anything seriously? Do you deny that Construction Projects take a long time to complete?

I don't know if it will create any jobs, funneling money into medicare...there's a good possibility, though, since under the last regime medicare was cut. If it KEEPS people employed that is a good thing.

FOOL!

I don't know if it will create any jobs, funneling money into medicare...there's a good possibility, though, since under the last regime medicare was cut. If it KEEPS people employed that is a good thing.

You really haven't a clue, just want to cheerlead what side you glean is correct.

I'm not laying anyone off. Are you? I thought you were going to start selling things to China. :doubt:

FOOL!

You really haven't a clue, just want to cheerlead what side you glean is correct.
Yeah, America. Too bad you don't feel the same.

Yeah, America. Too bad you don't feel the same.

Unfortunately the quotes are all f'd up. I didn't say what the quote said.

Did you do that? OHHH I'm surprised. Liars are liars.

fyi mash

care

hahahahahahahaha! I NEVER said that was suppose to be REASSURING! :lol:

Juat that no jobs were taken out of the private sector or money was used of the private sector to do these bail outs, as was stated.

fyi mash

care

Juat that no jobs were taken out of the private sector or money was used of the private sector to do these bail outs, as was stated.

Beats the hell out of me digging into my own pockets for that kind of cash. Kids need to quit school and get a damn job anyway.

Beats the hell out of me digging into my own pockets for that kind of cash. Kids need to quit school and get a damn job anyway.

Ya know what I know? Richie isn't going to spend anything not mandated. He's saving up for the Olympics, he's assuming Chicago will get. It's the Chicago way.

it'll get us through the back door, inflation.

Forum List

Back