The shit hits the fan...

Considering Strauss' philosophy and Gilbert's is it surprising that Gilbert would present his version of Strauss in what he deemed the worst light possible? Of course, Strauss was dead, but what the heh.

While Gilbert certainly is credentialed, he's not in the same league as was Strauss as far as influential on other academics.

I am an American born and raised

ok dude thanx for answering....

Yep... the answer displays sufficient evidence to provide for treason charges...

This idiot is no less a traitorous subversive than the Islam-convert that shot the American Service men at the recruiting center.
Look here dick weed

I am also a Vietnam Vet

I have EARNED the right to state any veiws I want

I am a law abiding, tax paying, patriotic America

So STFU jackass :evil:

Last edited:
ok dude thanx for answering....

Yep... the answer displays sufficient evidence to provide for treason charges...

This idiot is no less a traitorous subversive than the Islam-convert that shot the American Service men at the recruiting center.
Look here dick weed

I am also a Vietnam Vet

I have earned the right to state any veiws I want

I am a law abiding, tax paying, patriotic America

So STFU jackass :evil:
Even though I disagree with nearly all you say and spin, I do agree with the above-even if you hadn't served in Vietnam.

Considering Strauss' philosophy and Gilbert's is it surprising that Gilbert would present his version of Strauss in what he deemed the worst light possible? Of course, Strauss was dead, but what the heh.

While Gilbert certainly is credentialed, he's not in the same league as was Strauss as far as influential on other academics.

The direct influence on our current situation is from the neocons. They cherry pick from anyone or anything that fits their aggressive military agenda...they are NOT intellectuals

I heard Richard "Prince of Darkness" Perle describe how he was energized as a young man by the soaring rhetoric of John Kennedy's Inaugural address:

"Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans--born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage--and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

What Perle ignored was the real message and the real Jack Kennedy...

"...remember that, in the past, those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.

Finally, to those nations who would make themselves our adversary, we offer not a pledge but a request: that both sides begin anew the quest for peace, before the dark powers of destruction unleashed by science engulf all humanity in planned or accidental self-destruction.

We dare not tempt them with weakness. For only when our arms are sufficient beyond doubt can we be certain beyond doubt that they will never be employed.

But neither can two great and powerful groups of nations take comfort from our present course--both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the hand of mankind's final war.

So let us begin anew--remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.

Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring those problems which divide us.

Let both sides, for the first time, formulate serious and precise proposals for the inspection and control of arms--and bring the absolute power to destroy other nations under the absolute control of all nations.

Let both sides seek to invoke the wonders of science instead of its terrors. Together let us explore the stars, conquer the deserts, eradicate disease, tap the ocean depths and encourage the arts and commerce.

Let both sides unite to heed in all corners of the earth the command of Isaiah--to "undo the heavy burdens . . . (and) let the oppressed go free."

And if a beachhead of cooperation may push back the jungle of suspicion, let both sides join in creating a new endeavor, not a new balance of power, but a new world of law, where the strong are just and the weak secure and the peace preserved.

All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it be finished in the first one thousand days, nor in the life of this Administration, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. ... But let us begin."

The direct influence on our current situation is from the neocons. They cherry pick from anyone or anything that fits their aggressive military agenda...they are NOT intellectuals

I heard Richard "Prince of Darkness" Perle describe how he was energized as a young man by the soaring rhetoric of John Kennedy's Inaugural address:

"Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans--born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage--and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

I read your 'history' quotes and interpretations across two boards. Two boards where the more intellectual roll their eyes at your posts. Why? You really don't know WTF you are posting about.

Now that can happen to anyone occasionally, they read something too fast-focusing on what they want to see. However, it's been like that for you since opening days. The Gladstone quote in your signature-you'd no clue to what he stood for or what it meant. I quietly pm'd you to let you know, with a link. Any response? No. Been watching ever since, you have a penchant for doing the same, over and over again. You don't know history, but seem to think if you state something, it's believed. Many laugh.

I read your 'history' quotes and interpretations across two boards. Two boards where the more intellectual roll their eyes at your posts. Why? You really don't know WTF you are posting about.

Now that can happen to anyone occasionally, they read something too fast-focusing on what they want to see. However, it's been like that for you since opening days. The Gladstone quote in your signature-you'd no clue to what he stood for or what it meant. I quietly pm'd you to let you know, with a link. Any response? No. Been watching ever since, you have a penchant for doing the same, over and over again. You don't know history, but seem to think if you state something, it's believed. Many laugh.

This may be the 'meanest' post I've ever written, but considering the condescension the poster has shown others, even upon reflection I think I'll leave it.

"...remember that, in the past, those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.

Finally, to those nations who would make themselves our adversary, we offer not a pledge but a request: that both sides begin anew the quest for peace, before the dark powers of destruction unleashed by science engulf all humanity in planned or accidental self-destruction.

We dare not tempt them with weakness. For only when our arms are sufficient beyond doubt can we be certain beyond doubt that they will never be employed.

But neither can two great and powerful groups of nations take comfort from our present course--both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the hand of mankind's final war.

So let us begin anew--remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.

Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring those problems which divide us.

Let both sides, for the first time, formulate serious and precise proposals for the inspection and control of arms--and bring the absolute power to destroy other nations under the absolute control of all nations.

Let both sides seek to invoke the wonders of science instead of its terrors. Together let us explore the stars, conquer the deserts, eradicate disease, tap the ocean depths and encourage the arts and commerce.

Let both sides unite to heed in all corners of the earth the command of Isaiah--to "undo the heavy burdens . . . (and) let the oppressed go free."

And if a beachhead of cooperation may push back the jungle of suspicion, let both sides join in creating a new endeavor, not a new balance of power, but a new world of law, where the strong are just and the weak secure and the peace preserved.

All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it be finished in the first one thousand days, nor in the life of this Administration, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. ... But let us begin."

Kennedy was a neocon.

His Sec. of Defense oversaw the most disastrously drawn out police action in the history of the United States premised on the Domino Theory.

Get past the myth created by assassination and you are left with the truth - JFK was neocon 101...

Nonsense deleated.
Didn't I tell you many times before NOT to post bullshit history to me?

Xenophon has NOTHING to do with being a 'Neocon'.

Also, although born in Athens, he was Spartan in alligence.

His writings concern the ancient world.:

With a number of extant writings, Xenophon is noted for his accounts of life in Greece, both in ancient times and during the 4th and 3rd centuries BCE. Formally a young student of Socrates, he would later record a number of Socratic dialogues as well as personal accounts of Socrates, whom he admired greatly. As a young adult, Xenophon informally served in the army under the Persian prince Cyrus the Younger, helping to lead his contingent over land back to the Black Sea after Cyrus' death in battle. His account of this journey, recorded in his Anabasis, is read in academia today, though more for its language than its testimony. Later joining the Spartan army, Xenophon, not at all a nationalist, was exiled from Athens after fighting against them in their war with Sparta. Eventually settling in Scillus in southern Greece, Xenophon began a long trajectory of writing--historical tracts, generalized works of instruction (specifically on training and rearing animals), essays on the military, politics and economics, as well as the aforementioned Socratic works. These latter works were both a recording of some of Socrates' dialogues, as well as a general history of Socrates' methods of teaching. Though Xenophon's Socratic tracts are largely disregarded, Xenophon's Memorabilia is often referenced as an account of Socrates' religious views.

Xenophon [Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

The main tentant of 'Neocons' is nationalism, once again, you don't have clue one what you are talking about, you throw shit and hopes it sticks to the wall.

It will never wash here.

This may be the 'meanest' post I've ever written, but considering the condescension the poster has shown others, even upon reflection I think I'll leave it.
It's not cruel Annie, its accurate.

The worst thing partisans do is try to distort history in the hopes of proving or proping up some theory, or to try and under cut someone else.

Exibit A from him is the nonsense that an historical figure was a 'neocon' in an attempt to try and say I am as well, which is propably the stupiest assertion yet made at me(and that is saying alot with sillybozo on this board).

neocon

"Neoconservatism is the first variant of American conservatism in the past century that is in the 'American grain.' It is hopeful, not lugubrious; forward-looking, not nostalgic; and its general tone is cheerful, not grim or dyspeptic. Its 20th-century heroes tend to be FDR, and Ronald Reagan. Such Republican and conservative worthies as Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Dwight Eisenhower, and Barry Goldwater are politely overlooked." [Irving Kristol, "The Neoconservative Persuasion," in "The Weekly Standard," Aug. 25, 2003]

That is from the man who coined the term.

It has NOTHING to do with non Americans or past historical times, yet we see this fool try a spurilous linkage.

You cannot be to harsh with such nonsense as he posted.

Arrests of Rafsanjani kin show Iran clerics split

TEHRAN, Iran – Iran's government said Sunday it arrested the daughter and four other relatives of former President Hashemi Rafsanjani, one of the country's most powerful men, in a move that exposed a rift among the ruling Islamic clerics over the disputed presidential election.

State media also reported at least 10 more deaths, bringing the official toll for a week of confrontations to at least 17. State television inside Iran said 10 were killed and 100 injured in clashes Saturday between demonstrators contesting the result of the June 12 election and black-clad police wielding truncheons, tear gas and water cannons.

Police and members of the Basij militia took up positions in the afternoon on major streets and squares, including the site of Saturday's clashes. There was no word on any new clashes Sunday, although after dark many people in Tehran went to their rooftops to shout "Death to the dictator" and Allahu akbar," a common form of defiance in recent days.

State-run Press TV reported that Rafsanjani's eldest daughter, Faezeh Hashemi, and four other unidentified family members were arrested late Saturday. On Sunday evening, it said the four others had been released but that Hashemi remained in detention. However, Iran's ambassador to France Seyed Mehdi Miraboutalebi said on France's RFI radio that Hashemi had been released.

Last week, state television showed images of Hashemi, 46, speaking to hundreds of supporters of opposition candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi. He alleges fraud in the June 12 election, which the government said President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won.

Rest of story here:
Arrests of Rafsanjani kin show Iran clerics split - Yahoo! News

The state is now taking hostages to silence critics, a move of desperation.

Well Annie, I must say, this doesn't surprise me...I guess my exposing that you're a pea brain has not garnered gratitude. I just have a few questions and comments...

You said:

Unless you sit at a PC at an Ivy League school; sharing posts on this board to gauge the reactions to my posts, then the intellectual you refer to that rolls his/her eyes would be YOU...how modest of you Annie...I didn't know Pea Brain U. was Ivy League...

You said:
The Gladstone quote in your signature-you'd no clue to what he stood for or what it meant. I quietly pm'd you to let you know, with a link.

I just checked my private messages...none from you...

Joseph Stalin said: "The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do." That is a true statement, so what Stalin stood for is not relevant.

Gladstone's quote: Liberalism is trust of the people, tempered by prudence; conservatism, distrust of people, tempered by fear.

I know what it means and I am sure it is a true statement, so whatever you feelI needed to know is irrelevant. There are numerous psychological studies that verify Gladstone's insight into human nature...

Annie, I want you to have laughs, it relieves angst; so here's what you do...instead of building up all that angst and then sending off a half-cocked self righteous critique, when you see something that your intellectual pea believes is in error, you must challenge me at that moment...

Then I will hand you your pea on a platter, just for laughs...OK?

Well Annie, I must say, this doesn't surprise me...I guess my exposing that you're a pea brain has not garnered gratitude. I just have a few questions and comments...

You said:

Unless you sit at a PC at an Ivy League school; sharing posts on this board to gauge the reactions to my posts, then the intellectual you refer to that rolls his/her eyes would be YOU...how modest of you Annie...I didn't know Pea Brain U. was Ivy League...

You said:
The Gladstone quote in your signature-you'd no clue to what he stood for or what it meant. I quietly pm'd you to let you know, with a link.

Joseph Stalin said: "The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do." That is a true statement, so what Stalin stood for is not relevant.

Gladstone's quote: Liberalism is trust of the people, tempered by prudence; conservatism, distrust of people, tempered by fear.

I know what it means and I am sure it is a true statement, so whatever you feelI needed to know is irrelevant. There are numerous psychological studies that verify Gladstone's insight into human nature...

Annie, I want you to have laughs, it relieves angst; so here's what you do...instead of building up all that angst and then sending off a half-cocked self righteous critique, when you see something that your intellectual pea believes is in error, you must challenge me at that moment...

a peabrain, or more correct, braindead moron, like you calling someone a peabrain is the hight of hypocrisy

You people are borderline silly over the Iranian protesters.

In 1989 there were massive protests at Tiananmen Square in China.

It went on for a couple of weeks and involved huge numbers of Chineese citizens.

The news media intensely covered the story and experts predicted the fall of the communist Chineese government.

Wrong!!!

The protesters were violently stopped and the ring leaders arrested and given long prison sentences.

The incident faded into history and the Chinese government continued on with business as usual.

The Iran situation will also follow this same scenario and become a non event :eusa_angel:

Sunni is right. Whole world was talking about Tiananman Squeare for about a week and after that would mention it once a year in a news. Today, most of us hardly remember what happen there. It would be the same with Iran.

But you are wrong, China changed radically after that.

Only thing that changed in China is that they hold huge chunk of our national debt. Who knows, maybe we'll start borrowing from Iran too in exchange to be quiet. It wouldn't surprise me at all...

As if Gladstones consevatives have anything at all in common with the people we call conservatives in the US today. And as if Gladstone would have found anything at all appealing about what now passes for modern day liberalism.

What we call liberals this day and age in the US have more in common with Mussolini than with Gladstone.

What you Bfgrn don't know about history and politics could and likely has filled several volumes of history books and political science modifiers.

As if Gladstones consevatives have anything at all in common with the people we call conservatives in the US today. And as if Gladstone would have found anything at all appealing about what now passes for modern day liberalism.

What we call liberals this day and age in the US have more in common with Mussolini than with Gladstone.

What you Bfgrn don't know about history and politics could and likely has filled several volumes of history books and political science modifiers.

Really, then teach me... I 'm always open to gaining more knowledge, and it seems I found in you the mother lode...

I'll start...Gladstone conservatives are scarce... he was a liberal...

Your turn...

You said:

You said:

a peabrain, or more correct, braindead moron, like you calling someone a peabrain is the hight of hypocrisy

Oh my, I seriously feel slapped about. You sir, are a failure. As a man, historian, and effective political influencer. Failed, big time.

Well said... The member to which you're responding is an imbecile of the first order and a troll of the lowest order...

She's here for no other purpose than to see herself post.

I quickly found her intellectual means prevented any means to learn and placed her on ignore... you'd be surprised how little ya miss her...

You said:

You said:

Oh my, I seriously feel slapped about. You sir, are a failure. As a man, historian, and effective political influencer. Failed, big time.
um, i think you quoted the wrong post ;)

Well said... The member to which you're responding is an imbecile of the first order and a troll of the lowest order...

She's here for no other purpose than to see herself post.

I quickly found her intellectual means prevented any means to learn and placed her on ignore... you'd be surprised how little ya miss her...
please stop calling moronic males "she"
it is insulting to women that are not morons

Forum List

Back