The shabbiest U.S. president ever is an inexpressibly sad specimen

Denizen

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2018
This article is by right-wing political commentator George F Will. It reflects the tide turning against Donald Trump.

There is so much smoke coming out of the Trump administration there is either a raging fire or Donald Trump has hired Cheech and Chong to lift the spirits of administration workers.

The worst aspect of the corruption of the GOP is the burgeoning budget deficit and the spiraling government debt which Donald Trump has addressed by stating he won't be here when the day of reckoning comes for the public debt. The GOP doesn't even care about Trump's negligence.

How much dirt can the Trump base bear?

Opinion | The shabbiest U.S. president ever is an inexpressibly sad specimen

By George F. Will
Columnist
January 18 at 5:09 PM

Half or a quarter of the way through this interesting experiment with an incessantly splenetic presidency, much of the nation has become accustomed to daily mortifications. Or has lost its capacity for embarrassment, which is even worse.

If the country’s condition is calibrated simply by economic data — if, that is, the United States is nothing but an economy — then the state of the union is good. Except that after two years of unified government under the party that formerly claimed to care about fiscal facts and rectitude, the nation faces a $1 trillion deficit during brisk growth and full employment. Unless the president has forever banished business cycles — if he has, his modesty would not have prevented him from mentioning it — the next recession will begin with gargantuan deficits, which will be instructive.

The president has kept his promise not to address the unsustainable trajectory of the entitlement state (about the coming unpleasant reckoning, he said: “Yeah, but I won’t be here”), and his party’s congressional caucuses have elevated subservience to him into a political philosophy. The Republican-controlled Senate — the world’s most overrated deliberative body — will not deliberate about, much less pass, legislation the president does not favor. The evident theory is that it would be lèse-majesté for the Senate to express independent judgments.

Dislike of him should be tempered by this consideration: He is an almost inexpressibly sad specimen. It must be misery to awaken to another day of being Donald Trump. He seems to have as many friends as his pluperfect self-centeredness allows, and as he has earned in an entirely transactional life. His historical ignorance deprives him of the satisfaction of working in a house where much magnificent history has been made. His childlike ignorance — preserved by a lifetime of single-minded self-promotion — concerning governance and economics guarantees that whenever he must interact with experienced and accomplished people, he is as bewildered as a kindergartener at a seminar on string theory.
Which is why this fountain of self-refuting boasts (“I have a very good brain”) lies so much. He does so less to deceive anyone than to reassure himself. And as balm for his base, which remains oblivious to his likely contempt for them as sheep who can be effortlessly gulled by preposterous fictions. The tungsten strength of his supporters’ loyalty is as impressive as his indifference to expanding their numbers.
Either the electorate, bored with a menu of faintly variant servings of boorishness, or the 22nd Amendment will end this, our shabbiest but not our first shabby presidency. As Mark Twain and fellow novelist William Dean Howells stepped outside together one morning, a downpour began and Howells asked, “Do you think it will stop?” Twain replied, “It always has.”

As long as he selects conservative judges, Republicans don’t care what he does

Hillary's husband was caught with his pants down in the Oval Office playing hide the cigar with an intern barely older than his daughter and the crazy angry left thinks President Trump is "shabby"? WTF?

Hillary's husband was caught with his pants down in the Oval Office playing hide the cigar with an intern barely older than his daughter and the crazy angry left thinks President Trump is "shabby"? WTF?
Can a Pussy Grabber ever really be shabby?

f6a226036c0a3f1c22cd6de5e2ab57d5.jpg

This article is by right-wing political commentator George F Will. It reflects the tide turning against Donald Trump.

There is so much smoke coming out of the Trump administration there is either a raging fire or Donald Trump has hired Cheech and Chong to lift the spirits of administration workers.

The worst aspect of the corruption of the GOP is the burgeoning budget deficit and the spiraling government debt which Donald Trump has addressed by stating he won't be here when the day of reckoning comes for the public debt. The GOP doesn't even care about Trump's negligence.

By George F. Will
Columnist

Half or a quarter of the way through this interesting experiment with an incessantly splenetic presidency, much of the nation has become accustomed to daily mortifications. Or has lost its capacity for embarrassment, which is even worse.

If the country’s condition is calibrated simply by economic data — if, that is, the United States is nothing but an economy — then the state of the union is good. Except that after two years of unified government under the party that formerly claimed to care about fiscal facts and rectitude, the nation faces a $1 trillion deficit during brisk growth and full employment. Unless the president has forever banished business cycles — if he has, his modesty would not have prevented him from mentioning it — the next recession will begin with gargantuan deficits, which will be instructive.

The president has kept his promise not to address the unsustainable trajectory of the entitlement state (about the coming unpleasant reckoning, he said: “Yeah, but I won’t be here”), and his party’s congressional caucuses have elevated subservience to him into a political philosophy. The Republican-controlled Senate — the world’s most overrated deliberative body — will not deliberate about, much less pass, legislation the president does not favor. The evident theory is that it would be lèse-majesté for the Senate to express independent judgments.

Dislike of him should be tempered by this consideration: He is an almost inexpressibly sad specimen. It must be misery to awaken to another day of being Donald Trump. He seems to have as many friends as his pluperfect self-centeredness allows, and as he has earned in an entirely transactional life. His historical ignorance deprives him of the satisfaction of working in a house where much magnificent history has been made. His childlike ignorance — preserved by a lifetime of single-minded self-promotion — concerning governance and economics guarantees that whenever he must interact with experienced and accomplished people, he is as bewildered as a kindergartener at a seminar on string theory.
Which is why this fountain of self-refuting boasts (“I have a very good brain”) lies so much. He does so less to deceive anyone than to reassure himself. And as balm for his base, which remains oblivious to his likely contempt for them as sheep who can be effortlessly gulled by preposterous fictions. The tungsten strength of his supporters’ loyalty is as impressive as his indifference to expanding their numbers.
Either the electorate, bored with a menu of faintly variant servings of boorishness, or the 22nd Amendment will end this, our shabbiest but not our first shabby presidency. As Mark Twain and fellow novelist William Dean Howells stepped outside together one morning, a downpour began and Howells asked, “Do you think it will stop?” Twain replied, “It always has.”

Dang, is "shabbiest" the new and improved liberal word for the day?

you know that Trump's wife is just barely older than that intern...right?

Can a Pussy Grabber ever really be shabby?
Wasn't Bill Clinton worse than a "pussy grabber"? How about JFK? It depends on how many blogs and tabloids and foreign propaganda sites the crazy left can come up with to reinforce their anger over the results of the election.

This is particularly spot on:

His historical ignorance deprives him of the satisfaction of working in a house where much magnificent history has been made. His childlike ignorance — preserved by a lifetime of single-minded self-promotion — concerning governance and economics guarantees that whenever he must interact with experienced and accomplished people, he is as bewildered as a kindergartener at a seminar on string theory.

Which is why this fountain of self-refuting boasts (“I have a very good brain”) lies so much. He does so less to deceive anyone than to reassure himself.

Sad indeed – Trump is as much a victim of his own ignorance and incompetence as is the rest of the Nation.

Some things George mentioned have merit, many others I dismiss with justifiable prejudice. (imo)
But I’m uninspired to rehash the differences here and now.

What strikes me from the article is this: “Mr. Conservative” Will I do not recall ever waging such invective on any liberal dignitary or extreme liberal opponent so savagely as has on both Donald Trump’s policies and Donald Trump’s character. Which says to me “this is personal.” George Will’s ego has been bruised in the recent past and as a result he has chosen to abandon integrity and fairness for the sake of revenge. Sad.

Last edited:

By George F. Will
Columnist

The ONLY THING WE NEED TO REMEMBER: Republicans would rather be Russian than to be American

Some things George mentioned have merit, many others I dismiss with justifiable prejudice. (imo)

What strikes me from the article is this: “Mr. Conservative” Will I do not recall ever waging such invective on any liberal dignitary or extreme liberal opponent so savagely as has on both Donald Trump’s policies and Donald Trump’s character. Which says to me “this is personal.” George Will’s ego has been bruised in the recent past and as a result he has chosen to abandon integrity and fairness for the sake of revenge. Sad.

No; that is NOT the case.

The fact is, Mr. Will recognizes sewage when he smells it.

By George F. Will
Columnist

The ONLY THING WE NEED TO REMEMBER: Republicans would rather be Russian than to be American
yea they say the same thing about you guys.....you party people are more alike than you care to admit....

No; that is NOT the case.

The fact is, Mr. Will recognizes sewage when he smells it.

Well I guess you are the arbiter of truth.... or spin.
George Will who writes so eloquently is not a wise man at all. He is an atheist... his judgements are based on a grave error and, hence, greatly maligned. (imo)

Forum List

Back