The Senate, rather than being based on random lines drawn on a map should be based on

The make up of the senate actually gives smaller states more representation than they would receive based on population. That's the role of the senate as the smaller, more rural sates wanted some protection from having urban areas call all the shots.

I think it works out fine.

well thats the rhetoric of justification anyway.....actually small non-rural states like New Jersey, Delaware, Rhode Island, Connecticut get power that isnt justified, based mostly on religious differences of 200 years ago. While the large state of Texas, quite rural in most of it, gets robbed as does California.

Small as in physical size? (what difference does that make ????) Some states have more senators than representatives. THOSE are the rural states that get over representation in the Senate. But the Senate is not - and was never designed to be directly proportional - we have the House to suit that need.
I can accept representation based on population...as in the house

I can accept representation according to some rational measure of economic potential.....renewable resource base for example.

But our Senate makes no rational sense by any measure. RI =California=Wyoming=Alaska no, that is wrong by any measure

The make up of the senate actually gives smaller states more representation than they would receive based on population. That's the role of the senate as the smaller, more rural sates wanted some protection from having urban areas call all the shots.

well thats the rhetoric of justification anyway.....actually small non-rural states like New Jersey, Delaware, Rhode Island, Connecticut get power that isnt justified, based mostly on religious differences of 200 years ago. While the large state of Texas, quite rural in most of it, gets robbed as does California.

Small as in physical size? (what difference does that make ????) Some states have more senators than representatives. THOSE are the rural states that get over representation in the Senate. But the Senate is not - and was never designed to be directly proportional - we have the House to suit that need.

I can accept representation according to some rational measure of economic potential.....renewable resource base for example.

But our Senate makes no rational sense by any measure. RI =California=Wyoming=Alaska no, that is wrong by any measure

It makes perfect sense in a checks and balances system.
I have no problem with it.
I have a BIG problem allocating representation based on renewable resources.

Especially when "renewable" is such a highly subjective term. Technically, all resources are renewable. Some are just not as renewable as others. Given enough time and/or enough reduction in usage, coal and oil become renewable resources. Meanwhile, we're losing forests and trees at an alarming rate, not adequately compensated for by planting efforts. Electricity is actually renewable because it's something we create and can keep creating it indefinitely. Should building more power plants lead to increased Congressional representation?

why do you have a problem with that?....when you have no problem with R Island = California? if you read through entire thread you'd see that the small eastern seaboard states were separate partly because of religious differences ...that makes good sense to you on which to base a Senate in a country presumably with separation of church and state?.....THat makes sense to you...but a rational split based on resource base does not......hmmmm

"Checks and balances" is largely bunk...Patrick Henry ridiculed it at the Virgina ratification convention. I think there is a picture in my Gallery showing his take on it. something like
"specious imaginary checks and contrivances"

Last edited:

Especially when "renewable" is such a highly subjective term. Technically, all resources are renewable. Some are just not as renewable as others. Given enough time and/or enough reduction in usage, coal and oil become renewable resources. Meanwhile, we're losing forests and trees at an alarming rate, not adequately compensated for by planting efforts. Electricity is actually renewable because it's something we create and can keep creating it indefinitely. Should building more power plants lead to increased Congressional representation?

That would be a hell of a lot of time I would think.....lol..

farming fishing and forestry is what I envision.....but I suppose certain long term mining industries could be given a value that a panel of economists/mathematicians could agree on might be fair.

why do you have a problem with that?....when you have no problem with R Island = California? if you read through entire thread you'd see that the small eastern seaboard states were separate partly because of religious differences ...that makes good sense to you on which to base a Senate in a country presumably with separation of church and state?.....THat makes sense to you...but a rational split based on resource base does not......hmmmm

"Checks and balances" is largely bunk...Patrick Henry ridiculed it at the Virgina ratification convention. I think there is a picture in my Gallery showing his take on it. something like

I have read through the entire thread. My opposition is not based on a lack of understanding your position - it is based on my disagreeing with it. I find your method of allocating representation even more arbitrary.
Our system of checks and balances have served us well up to now. I see no reason to dicker with this aspect.

I have read through the entire thread. My opposition is not based on a lack of understanding your position - it is based on my disagreeing with it. I find your method of allocating representation even more arbitrary.
Our system of checks and balances have served us well up to now. I see no reason to dicker with this aspect.

Well, I havent seen your reasoning as to finding my proposal even more arbitrary. Regardless any old arbitrarily composed Senate would provide a "balance", so my "arbitrary" proposal would be just as good as the existing on that count.

it should be taught in our schools how irrational the make-up of the Senate is......

how in the east it is based on states that were mainly separate merely for religious differences ...and that some of those small states were ruled together with larger states by the same governor.

Then maybe we could get some people interested in making our system a little more fair and a lot more rational

The voting power of Each Senator, rather than being based
on random lines drawn on a map, should be based on the renewable natural resource production of each
state, using a type of Economic base analysis.
:lol:
Funniest thing I'll read/hear/see today.
why?

You do realize that each State gets two Senators, that aren't any "lines" marking their "District".....

absolutely,, and it gets at the absurdity of the way the sates were drawn up originally...based in the east largely on religious differences.....which are largely defunct now and shouldnt have an impact anyway.

The voting power of Each Senator, rather than being based
on random lines drawn on a map, should be based on the renewable natural resource production of each
state, using a type of Economic base analysis.
Funniest thing I'll read/hear/see today.
why?

You do realize that each State gets two Senators, that aren't any "lines" marking their "District".....

absolutely,, and it gets at the absurdity of the way the sates were drawn up originally...based in the east largely on religious differences.....which are largely defunct now and shouldnt have an impact anyway.

Remember that the Senate as currently composed is an irrational body. It represents nothing......so its votes are really a kind of contempt of the people of the nation.

the recent overcoming of "procedural difficulties" in the Senate is yet another farce on the nation. the Senate is a joke. As Paine might say the remains of aristocratical tyranny.

The sickening joke that is the Senate has apparently passed Fast Track Authority......showing themselves yet again as being corporate whores.

This irrational government body needs to be reformed or eliminated.

Forum List

Back