"The Senate Bill Saves Families Money"

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Emma, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Emma

Emma Evil Liberal Leftist™

Thanks Received:
    On the street, acting all loud and tumultuous and
    Ratings:
    +757
    The Senate Bill Saves Families Money - Kaiser Health News

Health care reform looks like it’s finally ready to pass the Senate, now that the Democrats have 60 votes in hand. But here on the left, not all of us are jumping for joy. Some think the Senate bill is just barely better than nothing. Others think it’s worse than even that.

As this argument goes, health care reform won’t do all that much to help people who need it. Insurance will still be expensive and even people who have coverage will discover they owe significant out-of-pocket expenses once they get sick. A public insurance option might have made this tolerable, since it would have provided better, cheaper coverage. Without it, many of us are arguing, reform is just a big giveaway to the insurance industry--one that produces little social progress.

It’s certainly true that, under the terms of the Senate bill, insurance would cost more and cover less than many of us would prefer. But would it really produce little social progress? Is it really worse than nothing?

One way to answer this question is by comparing how a typical family would fare with reform and without. At my request, MIT economist Jonathan Gruber produced a set of figures, based on official Congressional Budget Office estimates. The results tell a pretty compelling story, particularly when put in human terms.

[​IMG]

We'll see...

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Lower price lower benefits.
    Healthcare rationed the old fashioned way. Money.

3. obama2ndterm

obama2ndterm BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    moron, health care is currently rationed.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yep and I figure all this bill does is ration out a little more to the lower middle classes.
    At the expense of tax dollars with no ofsetting savings from the healthcare industry.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Does anyone know if you still have to buy it or go to jail?

does not matter to me as I have private ins and will soon be moving to medicare.

6. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Actually, the actuarial value of the policies is higher.

7. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,147

Well--something has to give. Just like today in private insurance--if you want a lower premium you have to go to a very high deductible out of pocket expense.

What I don't think the left is going to like--is having to pay for it. Let's face it--many who voted for Obama & all these democrats believed they were going to get "free" health care paid for by others. WRONG.