The seeds of innovation has been our own federal government

R

rdean

Looking Into the Eyes of a Dinosaur | Product Design and Development

The common thread over the past 70 years has been the federal government; for everything from the incentivizing and funding of technical education, to the winning of WWII, to the space race, to the domination of the Soviet Union through our technical prowess, to the residual economic strength in our manufacturing after WWII, to the explosive growth of the defense industry in terms of capability and innovation, to the seeding of innovation through DARPA, NASA, and NIH. Like it or not, the infrastructure that provided the fertile ground for the seeds of innovation to be planted has been our own federal government’s investment in us.

Globally, when you examine the rise of Germany, Korea, Japan, China, and other dominant economies, you find central governments pouring money into research, subsidizing industry, and otherwise providing the impetus for industry to innovate and create jobs.

Take for example the German domination of precision engineering and manufacturing, their domination of the machine tools industry, including lasers, and until recently their domination of solar cell development and manufacturing (China has now seized top spot in solar cell innovation and production due to their government intervention). These things did not come about because their federal government sat idly by and waited for a VC to create the industry.

In Korea, the Daewoo Group did not come to dominate the world of shipbuilding and other heavy manufacturing, nor did LG become a major player, without the active participation of the Korean government.

How much of Japan’s technological strength comes from MITI, their Ministry of Industry and Technology? They came to dominate television production, consumer electronics, and a host of other industries, including automobiles, through the direct intervention of the Japanese government.

The economic policies of the Chinese government, by suppressing internal demand and emphasizing exports, have built the largest creditor nation in history. Meanwhile, government investment in innovation, education, and manufacturing are making China the greatest economic threat we have ever faced.

Mike Rainone is the co-founder of PCDworks, a technology development firm specializing in breakthrough product innovation.

Its been and will be the people,the Gov.is just a tool,and lately not that useful.

Because

Mike Rainone is the co-founder of PCDworks, a technology development firm specializing in breakthrough product innovation.

is wrong,

but

Chickenwing, who never desigened anything and might only have a GED

is correct?

Its been and will be the people,the Gov.is just a tool,and lately not that useful.

Because

is wrong,

but

is correct?

Funny, the right wing would never listen to an "expert". Mike Rainone is an "expert". His article is so one the money. Instead, they have "gut feeling" and "common sense". If it doesn't fit in their ideology, it must be a lie. No wonder they live in fear.

We cannot stick to the ridiculous notion that VCs and the free market alone can power our economic growth and survival. Right wing ideologues stick to the preposterous notion that government has no role in the economic life of this country, as if we have learned nothing from Enron, AIG, Bear Stearns and the current mess that laissez faire capitalism has brought upon us.

Today, the mantra of trickledown economics, which George H.W. Bush appropriately called “Voodoo Economics,” and it’s corollary that all government involvement is bad and hampers growth, has become de facto truth — as if repeating a lie over and over again will make it true. Please note that I believe whole heartedly in capitalism; heck, I run two companies. I am a capitalist, but I do not believe that unchecked greed is the best way to run an economy.

--------------

Now this is common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Because

is wrong,

but

is correct?

Funny, the right wing would never listen to an "expert". Mike Rainone is an "expert". His article is so one the money. Instead, they have "gut feeling" and "common sense". If it doesn't fit in their ideology, it must be a lie. No wonder they live in fear.

A limp-wristed liberal quoting his own post to keep his lame thread alive. Imagine that.

We cannot stick to the ridiculous notion that VCs and the free market alone can power our economic growth and survival. Right wing ideologues stick to the preposterous notion that government has no role in the economic life of this country, as if we have learned nothing from Enron, AIG, Bear Stearns and the current mess that laissez faire capitalism has brought upon us.

Today, the mantra of trickledown economics, which George H.W. Bush appropriately called “Voodoo Economics,” and it’s corollary that all government involvement is bad and hampers growth, has become de facto truth — as if repeating a lie over and over again will make it true. Please note that I believe whole heartedly in capitalism; heck, I run two companies. I am a capitalist, but I do not believe that unchecked greed is the best way to run an economy.

--------------

Now ... isn't that exactly what government is? Unchecked greed?

Because

is wrong,

but

is correct?

A limp-wristed liberal quoting his own post to keep his lame thread alive. Imagine that.

I really wanted some right wing opinion on this. Your is the best of the best. Pretty sad.

I really wanted some right wing opinion on this. Your is the best of the best. Pretty sad.

You want some right wing opinion?
Sure.

You're an idiot.

How's that?

Over the past 70 years the Federal government has grown like the Blob and now generates millions of pages of rules and regulations annually and controls every conceivable American economic interaction and activity.

Over the past 70 years the Federal government has grown like the Blob and now generates millions of pages of rules and regulations annually and controls every conceivable American economic interaction and activity.

Then you admit the Republicans caused the economic meltdown on purpose. With all that control and all.

Looking Into the Eyes of a Dinosaur | Product Design and Development

The common thread over the past 70 years has been the federal government; for everything from the incentivizing and funding of technical education, to the winning of WWII, to the space race, to the domination of the Soviet Union through our technical prowess, to the residual economic strength in our manufacturing after WWII, to the explosive growth of the defense industry in terms of capability and innovation, to the seeding of innovation through DARPA, NASA, and NIH. Like it or not, the infrastructure that provided the fertile ground for the seeds of innovation to be planted has been our own federal government’s investment in us.

Globally, when you examine the rise of Germany, Korea, Japan, China, and other dominant economies, you find central governments pouring money into research, subsidizing industry, and otherwise providing the impetus for industry to innovate and create jobs.

Take for example the German domination of precision engineering and manufacturing, their domination of the machine tools industry, including lasers, and until recently their domination of solar cell development and manufacturing (China has now seized top spot in solar cell innovation and production due to their government intervention). These things did not come about because their federal government sat idly by and waited for a VC to create the industry.

In Korea, the Daewoo Group did not come to dominate the world of shipbuilding and other heavy manufacturing, nor did LG become a major player, without the active participation of the Korean government.

How much of Japan’s technological strength comes from MITI, their Ministry of Industry and Technology? They came to dominate television production, consumer electronics, and a host of other industries, including automobiles, through the direct intervention of the Japanese government.

The economic policies of the Chinese government, by suppressing internal demand and emphasizing exports, have built the largest creditor nation in history. Meanwhile, government investment in innovation, education, and manufacturing are making China the greatest economic threat we have ever faced.

Marry that liberal bitch to Fair Taxes and a Budget Balanced by Law and the stars are within reach.

:beer: Your little bastards are gettin' close, Mom!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTqCTZX3qnc]‪Mother earth‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

--------------

That's true. The one business We, The People should shut down is Government - then we should use the assets to open up a government.

--------------

Now ... isn't that exactly what government is? Unchecked greed?

Bingo!

"Garcon! Two gold stars and a cookie for Leweman! And step on it!"

Simple taxes = Fair taxes

Fair taxes, budget balanced by law.

Then build a government to invest in and maintain the resources.

Not entirely true. The bureaucracy is still salvageable, it just needs leadership that focuses on something besides sucking lobbyist cock for campaign money and winning the next election as a group.

Then you admit the Republicans caused the economic meltdown on purpose. With all that control and all.

Do we really care? Let's just say it was 'those guys'.

The future starts with Fair Taxes and a Budget Balanced by Law.

Mom deserves it. Mom rocks.

earth.png

Forum List

Back