The "Secure America" Pledge

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Secure America
By Frank Gaffney, Center for Security Policy
April 10, 2006

Despite the political pressure to grant a far-reaching amnesty to immense numbers of illegal aliens (perhaps as many as 20 million according to a recent Bear Stearns study) being exercised by those taking to the streets, the American people have an opportunity over the next two weeks to reverse this dynamic that entails real national security, as well as socio-economic, risks. One way to do so would be by challenging elected officials (and wannabes) to endorse the "Secure America" pledge.

This pledge has been endorsed by more than 30 organizations active in the public policy debate about immigration matters. It offers ten common sense principles that should govern our policies in these areas. Politicians who want our votes should be asked to confirm that they support the following principles:

1. The purpose of U.S. immigration policy is to benefit the citizens of the United States.

2. Since immigration policy can profoundly shape a country, it should be set by deliberate actions, not by accident or acquiescence, with careful consideration to ensure that it does not adversely affect the quality of life of American citizens and their communities.

3. Immigration policy should be based on and adhere to the rule of law. Immigration laws must be enforced consistently and uniformly throughout the United States.

4. Non-citizens enter the United States as guests and must obey the rules governing their entry. The U.S. government must track the entry, stay, and departure of all visa-holders to ensure that they comply fully with the terms of their visas, or to remove them if they fail to comply.

5. The borders of the United States must be physically secured at the earliest possible time. An effective barrier to the illegal entry of both aliens and contraband is vital to U.S. security.

6. Those responsible for facilitating illegal immigration shall be sought, arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law and shall forfeit any profits from such activity. This applies to smugglers and traffickers of people, as well as to those involved in the production, procurement, distribution, or use of fraudulent or counterfeit documents.

7. U.S. employers shall be given a simple and streamlined process to determine whether employees are legally eligible to work. Employers who obey the law shall be protected both from liability and from unfair competition by those who violate immigration law. The violators shall be subject to fines and taxes in excess of what they would have paid to employ U.S. citizens and legal residents for the same work.

8. Those who enter or remain in the United States in violation of the law shall be detained and removed expeditiously. Illegal aliens shall not accrue any benefit, including U.S. citizenship, as a result of their illegal entry or presence in the United States.

9. No federal, state or local entity shall reward individuals for violating immigration laws by granting public benefits or services, or by issuing or accepting any form of identification, or by providing any other assistance that facilitates unlawful presence or employment in this country. All federal and law enforcement agencies shall cooperate fully with federal immigration authorities, and shall report to such authorities any information they receive indicating that an individual may have violated immigration laws.

10. Illegal aliens currently in the United States may be afforded a one-time opportunity to leave the United States without penalty and seek permission to reenter legally if they qualify under existing law. Those who do not take advantage of this opportunity will be removed and permanently barred from returning.

There is no time to lose in securing America. Make sure over the next two weeks that your representative - or those who wish to represent you - pledge to do so.

for full article:
http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/index.jsp?section=papers&code=06-D_19

nibor said:
I agree with the concept....................BUT WHAT REPRESENTATION WOULD THAT BE EXACTLY,in case I'm missing something???? :bs1:

Your Congressman, your Senator, President Bush, all of whom have been elected to take care of your interests in Washington. For good measure, also make sure the Director of Homeland Security, chairmen of the RNC and the DNC--anyone in Washington who may be connected to this problem and could exercise some influence on the process--hear what you have to say on this topic. The latter are not elected to represent you directly, but they do have access to the President and to members of the House and Senate.

Well AA I guess I'm not missing anything,HOWEVER I don't see representation IN ANY of your suggested sources,and I don't think Thomas Jefferson would have seen it either..........today!!!

And I honestly believe he'd be advising something completely different!!!!! :banned:

A beautiful 10-Point fantasy that Mr. Bush’s "Base" (The CEO’s and billionaires of America) would never allow to become reality. Pretty declarations like this sound wonderful - but exposing the corporate greed that allows the illegal aliens to exist within our borders would be much more productive.

Darwins Friend said:
A beautiful 10-Point fantasy that Mr. Bush’s "Base" (The CEO’s and billionaires of America) would never allow to become reality. Pretty declarations like this sound wonderful - but exposing the corporate greed that allows the illegal aliens to exist within our borders would be much more productive.

If the "CEO and billionaire base" really wrote this, they wouldn't have included provision 7, which penalizes businesses for hiring illegals, which are a source of cheap labor for businesses.

gop_jeff said:
If the "CEO and billionaire base" really wrote this, they wouldn't have included provision 7, which penalizes businesses for hiring illegals, which are a source of cheap labor for businesses.

Having a rule and enforcing it - by law - are two different things. Otherwise - with laws already on the books - we wouldn’t even have this problem, less cash deals made on the corner.

gop_jeff said:
I agree, enforcement of current immigration laws sucks. That's why so many people want to build a 30 foot wall.

A thirty foot wall built by 'illegals' after all the construction contractors would not have to transport the workers...they could just come to the project!

The only real answer is to severly fine those hiring illegals and cut off all benefits to non citizens..they would go home with no cost to the taxpayers!

I actually worked the Mexican border and can honestly say a wall has no effect whatsoever! :cof:

gop_jeff said:
I agree, enforcement of current immigration laws sucks. That's why so many people want to build a 30 foot wall.

What? Illegals can't throw a rope and climb over? They can swim the Rio Grande. I'm sure they could climb a 30 foot wall.

onthefence said:
I'm sure they could climb a 30 foot wall.

Or dig tunnels to go under it. "Where there's a will, there's a way" would certainly apply in the case of these illegals.

nibor said:
Well AA I guess I'm not missing anything,HOWEVER I don't see representation IN ANY of your suggested sources...

Welcome to the board, Nibor. I take it we don't see eye-to-eye on this issue.

The people I listed in my post have been authorized through the election process to solve our national problems. If you think they are the wrong people, then tell us who you think are the right people. If you don’t like the actions proposed, then let’s hear your ideas on the matter.

Well for one thing AA,since our kids are fighting in and around the desert they should BE TRAINING THEM THERE,ON THE BOARDER,and should have been for the last five years!!!!!!!!! :flameth:

I had a kid living in my home,just back from Afghanistan WHO WAS TRAINED IN THE SWAMPS OF LOUISIANNA to fight at 9400 feet in Afghanistan,pretty ridiculous if you ask me?????? :duh3:

As far as our pampered, protected,elitest leadership goes,they've got a hold on the real pulse of the country and the world like BOZO has on neurology! :duh3:

Adam's Apple said:
Welcome to the board, Nibor. I take it we don't see eye-to-eye on this issue.

The people I listed in my post have been authorized through the election process to solve our national problems. If you think they are the wrong people, then tell us who you think are the right people. If you don’t like the actions proposed, then let’s hear your ideas on the matter.

I think it's true that our representatives are *supposed* to represent us. The problem arises where voters were pretty close to split 50/50 and the guys who won by a nose decide that they don't have to cut deals or address the concerns of the other party. That's when reaching out to those representatives becomes like shouting into the wind. Ya know?

jillian said:
I think it's true that our representatives are *supposed* to represent us. The problem arises where voters were pretty close to split 50/50 and the guys who won by a nose decide that they don't have to cut deals or address the concerns of the other party. That's when reaching out to those representatives becomes like shouting into the wind. Ya know?

The parties take turns running the show--it all works out in the wash. The actions of the minority party are what interest me.There are so many checks balances and just plain snafus that I've never seen the minority "deprived" for any period of time. As a minority do you attack your opponents or spend more time luring supporters? Is your parties' interest more important than that of the country as a whole?

nibor said:
As far as our pampered, protected,elitest leadership goes,they've got a hold on the real pulse of the country and the world like BOZO has on neurology! :duh3:

Well, since you didn't tell us who the right people are or what actions, in your opinion, you think we should be taking, I'll assume you're just another wacko who has joined the board and will pass on any of your posts in the future.

Forum List

Back