The Second Presidential Debate Oct 16

If the Biden spectacle is anything to judge by, Obama will be agressive and condescending depending on trying to get gotcha moments on Romney rather than using his time to answer questions with substance. It will be "fact check time.

Look for him to deflect from questions and go on his own tirade.

I would imagine Romney will be waiting for this and have a quip ready for him, letting go with "Are you going to answer the question, or give a speech on what you wanted the question to be, Mr. President?"

Crowley had better cut each off if they try to give stump speeches instead of answering the questions.

I think this one will be nasty and the president will come off nasty. But I hope it isn't the case.

Bain shouldn't come up. It's neither foreign affairs,nor domestic policy.

Well if, and that is a HUGE IF, the Obama camp is not pre-informed what questions will be asked so Obama can memorize his answers, I expect him to use a long rambling discourse to cover the fact that he really can't adequately explain much of anything substantive and he will be allowed a lot of time to do that. I expect Romney to be as well prepared and able to fully explain the substance, but I also expect that if he gets too good at it, he will be cut off before he can complete the explanation.

I expect this because it so often is the trend when you have a moderator who emotionally or philosophically supports one side over the other and cannot fully pull back from that.

But do you honestly think Sandy Crowley wouldn't allow a Bain Capital question (or something similar) if a citizen had a real zinger to ask? In my previous post, Bain was just a rhetorical example of how one side can be skewered.

Again I hope it is fair and impartial. I won't have any confidence in that before it is over. Most especially after watching that CNN Crowley interview I posted up there. But Crowley is already going over all the pre-selected questions with a fine tooth comb. There will be nothing really spontaneous or town hall format in this debate. It has all already been decided. And I expect Obama to have every advantage and Romney to really need to be on his game. But Ronney is usually on his game.

Last edited:
I find it disturbing that Crowley will be cherry picking the questions. Given that she is on record as calling Romney's pick of Ryan as some sort of ticket death wish, she'd be far more likely to give Obama a heads up on the questions than keep them to herself until the debate. If Obama answers an off beat question with a well thought out, well rehearsed line, we'll know he was tipped off.

Well I hope a lot of us will be watching for that Willie. We know that Obama doesn't handle spontaneity well at all. So good point.

President Obama and Mitt Romney have found a strong area of agreement. Neither want Sandy Crowley to participate in the second presidential debate of this campaign season. The rules they agreed to specifically limit the moderator to time keeping and calling on citizens from the gathering to ask questions.

Candy Crowley Draws Complaints From Obama And Romney Campaigns Before Debate

However I was hearing on the morning news that even if Crowley, who WANTS to ask follow up questions, is backed down from doing that, she is still pre-screening the questions that will be asked from the citizens. In other words these will be neither spontaneous nor random and will be likely specifically engineered to be Crowley's blueprint for the debate.

Are you comfortable with this. Is this what you expected?

Then we'll follow up after the debate.
best sign of good moderator is those who are less heard. i hope she does not try to dominate and lets the debate flow.

Tom Brokaw, who has moderated this debate format, said Candy Crowley will need to wear body armor.
he right. she going to have to walk fine line in terms of how she let the debate flow. i hope she does not try to interupt too much and lets it flow

If the Biden spectacle is anything to judge by, Obama will be agressive and condescending depending on trying to get gotcha moments on Romney rather than using his time to answer questions with substance. It will be "fact check time.

I would imagine Romney will be waiting for this and have a quip ready for him, letting go with "Are you going to answer the question, or give a speech on what you wanted the question to be, Mr. President?"

Crowley had better cut each off if they try to give stump speeches instead of answering the questions.

I think this one will be nasty and the president will come off nasty. But I hope it isn't the case.

Well if, and that is a HUGE IF, the Obama camp is not pre-informed what questions will be asked so Obama can memorize his answers, I expect him to use a long rambling discourse to cover the fact that he really can't adequately explain much of anything substantive and he will be allowed a lot of time to do that. I expect Romney to be as well prepared and able to fully explain the substance, but I also expect that if he gets too good at it, he will be cut off before he can complete the explanation.

I expect this because it so often is the trend when you have a moderator who emotionally or philosophically supports one side over the other and cannot fully pull back from that.

But do you honestly think Sandy Crowley wouldn't allow a Bain Capital question (or something similar) if a citizen had a real zinger to ask? In my previous post, Bain was just a rhetorical example of how one side can be skewered.

Again I hope it is fair and impartial. I won't have any confidence in that before it is over. Most especially after watching that CNN Crowley interview I posted up there. But Crowley is already going over all the pre-selected questions with a fine tooth comb. There will be nothing really spontaneous or town hall format in this debate. It has all already been decided. And I expect Obama to have every advantage and Romney to really need to be on his game. But Ronney is usually on his game.
conservatives should not worry about romney . he is very good debater and even though i politically disagree with him he better at this then obama is.

I think obama needs to keep his point far shorter. if he waffles he lose the audience. romney was very personable in first debate and that came across well.

I find it disturbing that Crowley will be cherry picking the questions. Given that she is on record as calling Romney's pick of Ryan as some sort of ticket death wish, she'd be far more likely to give Obama a heads up on the questions than keep them to herself until the debate. If Obama answers an off beat question with a well thought out, well rehearsed line, we'll know he was tipped off.

Well I hope a lot of us will be watching for that Willie. We know that Obama doesn't handle spontaneity well at all. So good point.
it true romney very good on his feet. obama going to need to be ready for that

President Obama and Mitt Romney have found a strong area of agreement. Neither want Sandy Crowley to participate in the second presidential debate of this campaign season. The rules they agreed to specifically limit the moderator to time keeping and calling on citizens from the gathering to ask questions.

However I was hearing on the morning news that even if Crowley, who WANTS to ask follow up questions, is backed down from doing that, she is still pre-screening the questions that will be asked from the citizens. In other words these will be neither spontaneous nor random and will be likely specifically engineered to be Crowley's blueprint for the debate.

best sign of good moderator is those who are less heard. i hope she does not try to dominate and lets the debate flow.

That would be wonderful Decker. But I've been watching Crowley for quite a few years now. And I've never seen her take a back seat or not dominate anything she has ever done. Maybe she'll change my mind about that this time. I hope she does. But the fact that she is cherry picking the questions that will be asked and the people who will ask them does frustrate me.

The main argument against Crowley isn't so much that she will be screening the questions, but that the candidates have agreed to certain things and Crowley insists that she isn't bound by anything that was agreed to. That's why they are both objecting.

Well there is that, but I don't want her screening the questions. I wish I could say I trust her to be fair and equitable in choosing what questions to allow and who will be called on to ask them, but I don't. She has been so openly pro-Obama and anti-Romney, do you trust her not to sort of slip the Obama campaign the questions that will be 'likely' asked?

Interesting interview with Crowley re her debate prep. She says it 'isn't about her' but then everything she said later was that it IS about her and she fully expects to participate with follow up questions. And the follow up commentary in the clip is about her going over all the questions with a fine tooth comb.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
I personally think if it townhall debate questions should not be pre screnned. means candiates have to be more on their feet. if pre screened moderator can remove those to be seen to intresting or forceful.

That would be wonderful Decker. But I've been watching Crowley for quite a few years now. And I've never seen her take a back seat or not dominate anything she has ever done. Maybe she'll change my mind about that this time. I hope she does. But the fact that she is cherry picking the questions that will be asked and the people who will ask them does frustrate me.
it does me. i hate moderators who loved to hear their voice to much. In the uk aliastar strewart during uk election debate was very annoying.. He kept interputing the candidates saying mr brown or mr cameron even when someone not finished speaking. annoyed me and showed he was seen to much.

the following debates were far better as candidates were allowed to debate each other without interuption.

moderator needs not to forget. it voter that counts here and not them

i doubt she be biased but i think she should ensure that she does not get to involved in back and forth between the two.

I would rather hear the campaigners go at it. Not the moderator. Get rid of her ass. I CAN'T wait for the debate. I think its gonna keep me glued more than the V.P. debates. Godfather pizza, corona, good company and these guys going at it. Priceless. Just hope my company keeps their mouths shut lol
only thing moderator should be their for is saying here this person question and here this person question. no more then that. let them go at it.

I will be watching and hope it is a good, spirited, and substantive exchange.

However, as I commented on another thread, when you have a liberal Democrat doing the moderation,my concern is that it will be be engineered for Obama to get all the 'boxers or briefs?' questions and Romney to get the "How do you live with firing all those people while you were making yourself a multi-millionaire at Bain Capital?" questions.

I hope I'm wrong.

If it is a typicla GOP audience they will ask why Obama is a Moooslim
i hope we don,t get hate filled questions like that to either man.

Boxer briefs foxfyre ... it's the sexiest way to roll. :lol:

Kidding aside, I think Ms. Crowley will end up getting into the thick of things ... instead of being the moderator both campaigns want ... she'll start asking follow up questions. I hope not though. I just want to hear Obama and Romney, thank you very much.

My expectations for tomorrow night are ... Obama comes on strong. Perhaps too strong. He'll be on the offensive, condescending, insulting and authoritative and will use every opportunity to ridicule. He'll also use the same two hand gestures that he always uses. The first, palms in, thumbs up and fingers facing each other. The other ... making a ball with his hands. I'm thinking the left hand on top, the right below.

I expect Romney to be on the defensive at times, but for the most part, stay on the offensive. I do however see Romeny getting flustered and angry at times.

I also expect to be tired after a long day of work.
i doubt romney will get angry. he very good debater and does not use it cool. as a liberal i wished he did on our side but he too calm and good a debater for that. obama needs to be more passionate but not ruder.

conservatives should not worry about romney . he is very good debater and even though i politically disagree with him he better at this then obama is.

I think obama needs to keep his point far shorter. if he waffles he lose the audience. romney was very personable in first debate and that came across well.

Impossible. I agree it's the way to go and I believe it would serve him well, but I just can't see him doing it. Mr. Obama is long-winded and drones on and on.

Yes he does, Masquerade. And he is a master at filibustering and blowing as much smoke as is produced by a forest fire when he doesn't really have an argument to offer. He knows how to steal time from his opponent so his opponent won't have it to use. If the moderator allows it, and he gets a difficult question, we will will see that.

Impossible. I agree it's the way to go and I believe it would serve him well, but I just can't see him doing it. Mr. Obama is long-winded and drones on and on.
Yep it would serve him well but sadly he never cut that bad habit of waffling and i doubt he will improve that on tuesday sadly.

Yes he does, Masquerade. And he is a master at filibustering and blowing as much smoke as is produced by a forest fire when he doesn't really have an argument to offer. He knows how to steal time from his opponent so his opponent won't have it to use. If the moderator allows it, and he gets a difficult question, we will will see that.
I don,t think romney will allow him to do that and he too strong a debater to allow it.

So many times I've seen him start to answer a question and then he goes off ..... way out somewhere and starts talking about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the question that was asked of him. I sit there ... waiting for him to come full circle and finally answer the question. Needless to say ... I'm left sitting there.

"Crowley is a vegetarian and practices transcendental meditation." :ack-1:

Candy Crowley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

story.crowley.cnn.jpg

You've got Jim Lehrer, Martha Raddatz, Candy Crowley and Bob Scheiffer as moderators...all of which lean heavily to the left. Then you've got a Main Stream Media reporting on the debates...which once again will lean heavily to the left. The truth of the matter is that for a conservative to win under those circumstances is remarkable and a testament to how bad Barack Obama's performance really was.

Forum List

Back