The SCotUS has cleared the way for Legalized Polygamy.

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
As I have predicted in the past, I will now say that the ruling this morning to legalize Gay Marriages as a "Right" will now be used to erode the reasons used to keep Polygamy illegal.

As I have predicted in the past, I will now say that the ruling this morning to legalize Gay Marriages as a "Right" will now be used to erode the reasons used to keep Polygamy illegal.

I don't see that happening for several reasons. The legal contract of marriage has become a legal way to sort though many issues. Polygamy could create chaos in terms of probate and healthcare decisions. I also don't see insurance companies or taxing governments extending marriage benefits to an infinite number of people.

A dogmatic child may try to argue that "they have no grounds left to deny it."

But an adult can pretty easily draw distinctions based on the legitimate concerns of society.

I don't see that happening for several reasons. The legal contract of marriage has become a legal way to sort though many issues. Polygamy could create chaos in terms of probate and healthcare decisions. I also don't see insurance companies or taxing governments extending marriage benefits to an infinite number of people.

But an adult can pretty easily draw distinctions based on the legitimate concerns of society.

Really?? short sighted,if its a right for 2 guys or girls,then its just as much a right for 2 girls and a guy too marry,just because there would be more names on court documents doesn't change anything.

The lid is off,its that simple.

Really?? short sighted,if its a right for 2 guys or girls,then its just as much a right for 2 girls and a guy too marry,just because there would be more names on court documents doesn't change anything.

That is a very simplistic point of view.

Tell you what, answer this question and I'll reconsider.

What legitimate concerns does society address by banning gay marriage and what legitimate concerns does society address by banning polygamy?

Not only polygamy, but beastiality and pedophilia as well. In reality, all perversions will be legalized. Not only legalized, but forced into public acceptance.

What legitimate concerns does society address by banning gay marriage and what legitimate concerns does society address by banning polygamy?

They are both slow erosions of the basic glue that holds societies together. As has been proved over and over again. Normalization of same sex relationships has never been successful, but has been a symptom of terminal social disease in every culture that adopted it.

Well according to the court,there are not any legitimate concerns.
And it is a simple concept.

They are both slow erosions of the basic glue that holds societies together. As has been proved over and over again. Normalization of same sex relationships has never been successful, but has been a symptom of terminal social disease in every culture that adopted it.

So what - specifically - does society protect itself from by banning gay marriage?
And what does society protect itself from by banning polgamy, beastiality, child rape, etc ... ?

Polygamy actually had a historical point to make and was necessary. That's why ancient cultures had polygamy but not polyandry.

the simple fact of the matter is that there is no good reason why polygamy shouldnt be treated the same as homosexuality before the law (assuming always we are talking about the choices of consenting adults). None whatsoever. There should be no more restriction on the ability of adults to marry as many people as they want as there should be on gays. Simple as that.

Dealing with one nagging wife is hard enough. Why would any sane man want two or more of them?:eusa_angel:

Not only polygamy, but beastiality and pedophilia as well. In reality, all perversions will be legalized. Not only legalized, but forced into public acceptance.

Ridiculous.

Personally, I don't care who marries who or how many wives/husbands one has.

What I do care about is the government conferring certain rights and tax advantages to people they deem legally married. One's personal relationships shouldn't be the government's business, IMO (with the possible exception of immigration and military).

Marriage has been around a lot longer than any government we have today. The institution doesn't need government support nor does it need to be defined by government. That should be up to the consenting adults involved in the relationship.

Marriage is a contract and any contract can be written to the satisfaction of the consenting adults involved. All we need government for is to provide the court systems should there be a dispute about that contract.

My two cents...

Just as gay marriage does not effect me personally, polygamy would not either. There is no way in Hell that I could deal with more than one wife at a time.

Forum List

Back