The Scorage of Child Marriage in the United States

Grown Men Are Exploiting Loopholes In State Laws To Marry Children | HuffPost

This is appauling! In reading this, three questions come to mind. Perhapps people on this board will help to answer them

1. What the hell is wrong with a society that condones this?
2. What the hell is wrong with the parents who consent to it?
3. What the hell is wrong with the men who marry children

Yes some states are taking steps to curtail this, but it is still far to prevelant. We're supposed to be an advance, civilized society and a Constitutional Republic based on the rule of law. Yet both the social order and the law are failing these children.

It underage (18) marriage is to be allowed at all, it should be under the narrwest of circumstances and severely restricted as follows:

1.All cases should be revied by a family court judge who must require clear and convincing evidence of the necessity for it. ( Although I'm having trouble immagining what that would be)
2.Under no circumstances should the justification be religious beliefs or practices
3. All wouldbe "child brides" should be evaluated by a psychologist or psychiatrist to determine -to the extent posible- that they are participating voluntarily and not under duress.
4. The men (or adult) involved should likewise be assessed to determin that they are stable, responsible and non violent
5. Child brides (or grooms) should be no younger than 16.
6. The age difference should be limited to no more that 5-7 years. Here is a related article on that issue http://nypost.com/2014/11/11/the-bigger-the-age-gap-the-shorter-the-marriage/
7. All children, upon marriage should be legally emancipated as adults with all of the rights and responsibilities of adulthood

Even these measures are not fool proof by any means but it would go a long way twords protecting vulnerable children short of outright banning marriage under 18, which I would prefer.
Read the article and see what you think

Child molesting is legal in Mexico

3rd world people = 3rd world problems

I remember reading about a 38 year old man driving from Illinois to Maryland to marry a 12 year old girl, with her parents permission.

In 1964.

How do you propose to get all states to change their laws to fit your standards?

(btw, I agree with you, on most of it)

as far as the 5-7 year difference?

My mom was 9 years younger than dad when they got married,
(she was 17, he was 26)

I remember reading about a 38 year old man driving from Illinois to Maryland to marry a 12 year old girl, with her parents permission.

In 1964.

How do you propose to get all states to change their laws to fit your standards?

(she was 17, he was 26)
I have no idea how to get all of the states on board with this. I'm just saying what should be. Perhaps your mom and dad had a successful marriage. However, statistically the odds of that deteriorate with increased age difference. Thanks for your input

This is appauling! In reading this, three questions come to mind. Perhapps people on this board will help to answer them

Yes some states are taking steps to curtail this, but it is still far to prevelant. We're supposed to be an advance, civilized society and a Constitutional Republic based on the rule of law. Yet both the social order and the law are failing these children.

It underage (18) marriage is to be allowed at all, it should be under the narrwest of circumstances and severely restricted as follows:

1.All cases should be revied by a family court judge who must require clear and convincing evidence of the necessity for it. ( Although I'm having trouble immagining what that would be)
2.Under no circumstances should the justification be religious beliefs or practices
3. All wouldbe "child brides" should be evaluated by a psychologist or psychiatrist to determine -to the extent posible- that they are participating voluntarily and not under duress.
4. The men (or adult) involved should likewise be assessed to determin that they are stable, responsible and non violent
6. The age difference should be limited to no more that 5-7 years. Here is a related article on that issue http://nypost.com/2014/11/11/the-bigger-the-age-gap-the-shorter-the-marriage/
7. All children, upon marriage should be legally emancipated as adults with all of the rights and responsibilities of adulthood

Even these measures are not fool proof by any means but it would go a long way twords protecting vulnerable children short of outright banning marriage under 18, which I would prefer.

Well, if it's good for Mohammad..................

How many followers does he have again?

This is not about Mexico and I don't know what is legal there. You might have noticed that my post is about this country. Now, do you have anything to contribute to the topic?
Just that you should see a lot less of this in America with President Trump getting rid of muslims and hispanics

In 1964.

(she was 17, he was 26)
I have no idea how to get all of the states on board with this. I'm just saying what should be. Perhaps your mom and dad had a successful marriage. However, statistically the odds of that deteriorate with increased age difference. Thanks for your input
They married in 1944, and stayed married until 1990, when dad died.

as far as mom was concerned, she was still married to dad when she died in 2015

This is not about Mexico and I don't know what is legal there. You might have noticed that my post is about this country. Now, do you have anything to contribute to the topic?
Just that you should see a lot less of this in America with President Trump getting rid of muslims and hispanics
I knew that it would not take long for someone to try to make this about Muslims. Now all that you have to do to keep from looking foolish is to show that Muslims are these ones responsible for the problem IN THIS COUNTRY.

I knew that it would not take long for someone to try to make this about Muslims. Now all that you have to do to keep from looking foolish is to show that Muslims are these ones responsible for the problem IN THIS COUNTRY.
Look, The whole child bride thing is very popular with muslims, so if you don't like pedafiles you are not going to like muslims or their customs.

That's one reason that President Trump want's to get rid of them

Child brides are a little-known, but very real, problem in America today

Last edited:
The age difference is what matters. I know a guy whose parents married him when he was 16 to a girl who was 14 and they have been happily married ever since.
He says she is super cool and she says she loves him, so I see no problem with child marriages as long as the age difference is small.

Being able to marry someone under the age of 18 has been around since the founding of this country and has nothing to do with Muslims or Hispanics!

FLDS member were practicing this in the early to mid-2000's and you can bet those Mormons had no Muslims or any Hispanics...

Last edited:

It is a great article- and bringing attention to something most of us were not aware of- in most states a 50 year old man can legally marry a 14 year old girl.

Some states are changing their laws- the rest should follow suit.

In 1964.

(she was 17, he was 26)

The article provides some suggestions- but frankly the best way is for all of us to pressure our states to change our laws- I am going to do so for California.

How will Trump 'getting rid of Muslims and hispanics(neither of which Trump has said he will do)" change the state laws that allow men to marry 14 year old girls?

Look, The whole child bride thing is very popular with muslims, so if you don't like pedafiles you are not going to like muslims or their customs.

That's one reason that President Trump want's to get rid of them

Child brides are a little-known, but very real, problem in America today

Fascinating- Tank only cares about the issue of 'child brides'- when it comes to Muslims.

Even though that is not the issue.

How will Trump 'getting rid of Muslims and hispanics(neither of which Trump has said he will do)" change the state laws that allow men to marry 14 year old girls?
Hispanics and Muslims would like it to be a lot lower, if Trump raised the age limit, liberals would say he is racist

Child molesting is legal in Mexico

3rd world people = 3rd world problems

Just as legal as child molesting is legal here.
Errr What now?? You are either very misinformed or have some alt-definition of what child molestation is. I had a career in investigating child abuse including sexual abuse and I am here to tell you molestation is not legal. Please explain yourself

The age difference is what matters. I know a guy whose parents married him when he was 16 to a girl who was 14 and they have been happily married ever since.
He says she is super cool and she says she loves him, so I see no problem with child marriages as long as the age difference is small.

And I am sure we can find examples of happy marriages of a 30 year old to a 14 year old- but if you read the article- there is a huge problem with 14 year old's getting married- most do get divorced. And they are too young to be legally emancipated- if their husband is abusive they don't even have the legal right to hire a lawyer on their own.

We don't allow 14 year olds to drive on the highway- we don't need to have them marrying.

Forum List

Back