The school for gifted White students - Orientation

So......

You're saying there's people in Arkansas with IQ's above 120?

People that are FROM Arkansas????:eek:

***Wow, I have to admit I'm astonished.***

No, Arkansas is full of idiots., it stinks here, we all look to fuck you in your ass, and we never wear shoes. Please NEVER visit................

See, this seems much more credible.

It is, I tell everyone I meet how much Arkansas sucks, we don't even have indoor plumbing, dont come visit

I'm going to try to Google this, if anyone wants to insist on a citation,

but I seem to remember some studies that were conducted regarding mental abilities, according to race,

as well as studies regarding physical abilities, according to race.

Sorry, because it IS, by it's very nature, Racist,

but without it, I don't believe we'd know that certain populations are more prone to certain diseases/disabilities/etc., nor that the tests being given were in any way biased toward or against any one race.

Perhaps it IS possible to divide us into:

Kingdom; Phylum; Class; Order; Family; Genus; and Species,

where species = exact race, as in Taxonomy.

The Organization of Living Things: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species
~> Link provided for information purposes

Last edited:
I would need more information before hazarding a guess, perhaps all the gifted black students are in a program for students with IQs above 150 across town that they didn't tell you about.

I would need more information before hazarding a guess, perhaps all the gifted black students are in a program for students with IQs above 150 across town that they didn't tell you about.

I would almost bet that there are no black students within 50 miles of Little Rock with IQs over 150. Probably very white ones either.

I would almost bet that there are no black students within 50 miles of Little Rock with IQs over 150. Probably very white ones either.

Come on, Arkansas ain't that bad. I spend about half my time about 100 miles east of Little Rock and I know a lot of smart people around there.

guess what? if you looked at only the whites admitted to gifted programs you would find that children from affluent, intact, and involved families over-represented. its not rocket science to know that smart and competent parents tend to produce smart and competent children.

the education system spends a pittance (less than 1%) on gifted children, so what is wrong with chosing the participants on merit rather than skin colour? how do we choose elite sports teams, ability or dogma?

ConHog is right about the scarcity of IQ150 blacks. every year there are less than one thousand black students that get over 700 on their math and verbal portions of the SAT, an IQ150 would translate close to a perfect score.

It's the nature/nurture argument. But as to xsisted's point, I highly doubt the kids qualified and just didn't sign up. Maybe a couple, but any decent teacher should have been able to convince the parent to take advantage of this. A black child in a gifted program is money in the bank. He or she will have their pick of free colleges.

The sad fact is there were probably few who qualified.

Given that only about 1 out of every thousand people have IQs over 145, I'd say that's a good guess.

Cultural norms.

parental participation.

Dads.
Yes, there is a lot of evidence that points to the parents' education level affecting how well the children perform in school.

That said, my children have always been way ahead of the curve but I wouldn't force them to go to a high achievement summer school. They need to be kids once in a while.

Funny little x is sending his kids to a public school...he has always claimed they are in private school and that public school sucks.

:confused:

Come on, Arkansas ain't that bad. I spend about half my time about 100 miles east of Little Rock and I know a lot of smart people around there.

Dammit, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I've spent my entire adult life telling people how much Arkansas sucks and how NO ONE should ever visit much less move here, and you undid all my good work just like that...............................

It's the nature/nurture argument. But as to xsited's point, I highly doubt the kids qualified and just didn't sign up. Maybe a couple, but any decent teacher should have been able to convince the parent to take advantage of this. A black child in a gifted program is money in the bank. He or she will have their pick of free colleges.

I believe you are correct. Every school, both public and private, advertised this Summer program for gifted students. And from what I have heard, the teachers and administrators really pushed it. Since scholarships were readily available, money was not a factor.

It's the nature/nurture argument. But as to xsited's point, I highly doubt the kids qualified and just didn't sign up. Maybe a couple, but any decent teacher should have been able to convince the parent to take advantage of this. A black child in a gifted program is money in the bank. He or she will have their pick of free colleges.

I believe you are correct. Every school, both public and private, advertised this Summer program for gifted students. And from what I have heard, the teachers and administrators really pushed it. Since scholarships were readily available, money was not a factor.

We both know why. I'm hazarding a guess that you're referring to Central in LR? Look at the area most of the black kids in that district come from now compare it to the area where the white kids come from. Pretty apparent differences in environment, and yes a lot of that is the blacks own fault, but I honestly feel that a lot of it is also the fault of forced integration. When that happened many whites just moved out of the area and with them went the people who made Central the best school it could be so that the parents of todays black kids down there who went to Central themselves didn't receive a quality education and don't expect their kids to do any more.

We both know why. I'm hazarding a guess that you're referring to Central in LR? Look at the area most of the black kids in that district come from now compare it to the area where the white kids come from. Pretty apparent differences in environment, and yes a lot of that is the blacks own fault, but I honestly feel that a lot of it is also the fault of forced integration. When that happened many whites just moved out of the area and with them went the people who made Central the best school it could be so that the parents of todays black kids down there who went to Central themselves didn't receive a quality education and don't expect their kids to do any more.

Close. It's being held at Dunbar this year which is just a few blocks away from Central. Here's the link:

SLUFY | University of Arkansas at Little Rock

I graduated from Central. Then and now, it is like two schools. There's one school for blacks and another for everyone else.

Close. It's being held at Dunbar this year which is just a few blocks away from Central. Here's the link:

I graduated from Central. Then and now, it is like two schools. There's one school for blacks and another for everyone else.

Well, that doesn't make sense. Isn't Dunbar a school FOR gifted and talented, meaning unless you have shown the ability and drive you aren't going there? At least that's the impression I was under.

Well, that doesn't make sense. Isn't Dunbar a school FOR gifted and talented, meaning unless you have shown the ability and drive you aren't going there? At least that's the impression I was under.

Dunbar is just where it's being held this year. It changes each year. Next year it might be held at Central. I honestly don't know much about Dunbar. SLUFY is a U of A program.

Dunbar is just where it's being held this year. It changes each year. Next year it might be held at Central. I honestly don't know much about Dunbar. SLUFY is a U of A program.

Oh, yes I see now, you're talking about a conglomeration of students from ALL the high schools in LR. Same issues I imagine. Forced integration really fucked LR schools up, of course a lot of that can be blamed on stupid white people who bailed on the area rather than join the real word and integrate, but not all of it.

of course a lot of that can be blamed on stupid white people who bailed on the area rather than join the real word and integrate

usinteracial025sq.gif

I was at this orientation and I do think the OP has the number of blacks there correct. However, a couple things to keep in mind about this meeting was that it was optional. Also, not every kid there was attending the program.

I do not have my own kid in the program, but I'm taking my neighbor's (white) kid because she's a single mom who can't get the child there. We brought her little sister who is too young to attend. So just looking at kids skin color might not give you an accurate picture of who's attending.

The other point I want to make is the little girl I'm taking has a friend from her grade at her school who is in GT with her. This friend is also attending SLUFY for the SECOND year. At the meeting, I asked her if she could see the friend in the crowd. She looked hard but couldn't. Oh, the race of this missing girl? Black.

I'm not doubting that whites will be over-represented relative to their attendance in Little Rock. But also consider that this program draws from the entire state. A quick google search will find blog entires of people from the edge of the state bringing their kids. So just point to LRSD race stats isn't really on point.

I don't mean this as a slam. I'm just giving some context and antecdotal information about this program.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back