The school for gifted White students - Orientation

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
My kids are (again) enrolled in a Summer program for high-ability students. The orientation was at 6:00 p.m. There were about 300 people there. Of those 300 people, there was the usual mixture of Asians and Indians. I also counted about 10 black people, one of which was a black father, and no Hispanics.

Where the school is located, the black population is greater than 75%. Here are some of the requirements:

• Scores at or above the 80th percentile in a major area of an achievement test
  • Recommendation of a teacher for student to participate in a program for high ability students
  • Score of 120 or above on an IQ test

They even provide scholarships to students who demonstrate both financial need and academic merit.

In Little Rock, blacks make up about 42% of the population, Hispanics account for 4.7%.

So what seems to be the problem with the Blacks and Hispanics??? The other minorities were well represented.

(Please feel free to comment. That includes the closet racists of USMB. I'd really like to know what the problem is and what can be done about it.)

My kids are (again) enrolled in a Summer program for high-ability students. The orientation was at 6:00 p.m. There were about 300 people there. Of those 300 people, there was the usual mixture of Asians and Indians. I also counted about 10 black people, one of which was a black father, and no Hispanics.

Where the school is located, the black population is greater than 75%. Here are some of the requirements:

• Recommendation of a teacher for student to participate in a program for high ability students

They even provide scholarships to students who demonstrate both financial need and academic merit.

In Little Rock, blacks make up about 42% of the population, Hispanics account for 4.7%.

So what seems to be the problem with the Blacks and Hispanics??? The other minorities were well represented.

(Please feel free to comment. That includes the closet racists of USMB. I'd really like to know what the problem is and what can be done about it.)

Is it a "Bible School"?

So are you saying that the blacks and hispanics didnt make the minimum requirements? Or that the parents didnt enroll their children?

So are you saying that the blacks and hispanics didnt make the minimum requirements? Or that the parents didnt enroll their children?

I have no idea. There were about 10 out of 300 blacks there tonight. That's about 3.3%. The black population in Little Rock is 42% and where the school is it's greater than 75%. After thinking about it, the Hispanics might have a reason since most of them live on the other side of town. I'm just trying to figure it out. :eusa_think:

Im not seeing as racial then. If all students had to do was make the grade, AND have their parents enroll them, I don't see it as being a gifted "white" issue.

I see it as more of a education problem in general.

( and yes, i know just about where you are talking about)

Im not seeing as racial then. If all students had to do was make the grade, AND have their parents enroll them, I don't see it as being a gifted "white" issue.

Education problem? I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Obviously, I posted this as the 'The school for gifted White students' because they're the only ones who decided to participate (except for Asians, Indians and a very small percentage of blacks). I was shocked. It baffles the mind.

Obviously, I posted this as the 'The school for gifted White students' because they're the only ones who decided to participate (except for Asians, Indians and a very small percentage of blacks). I was shocked. It baffles the mind.

Alright, it sounded as if you were saying from the OP that only whites were allowed into the program. It gave it more of a racial tone when you called out the "racists" to comment.

I dont know why more blacks and hyspanics didn't enroll. It could be that they just didnt make the grades to get in. And if that is the case, it is an education problem.

Alright, it sounded as if you were saying from the OP that only whites were allowed into the program. It gave it more of a racial tone when you called out the "racists" to comment.

I dont know why more blacks and hyspanics didn't enroll. It could be that they just didnt make the grades to get in. And if that is the case, it is an education problem.

No. Everyone can participate. And 'closet racists' is a term I coined. I started a thread about it some time ago. The minorities are participating. Just not the blacks.

No. Everyone can participate. And 'closet racists' is a term I coined. I started a thread about it some time ago. The minorities are participating. Just not the blacks.

Then the only thing holding them back is themselves.

Parental involvment?
Comfort level in their economic standing?
No Desire to better themselves?
Gang or drug involvement?
Lazy?

Take your pick.

My father is a national board certified Dentist meaning he can open a practice in all 50 states (or 57 states).

A few years ago he went to a National Board Certified Dental Convention and said he was the only White guy there. Everyone else was Asian or Indian.

The "problem" is that some cultures value education more than others.

My father is a national board certified Dentist meaning he can open a practice in all 50 states (or 57 states).

A few years ago he went to a National Board Certified Dental Convention and said he was the only White guy there. Everyone else was Asian or Indian.

The "problem" is that some cultures value education more than others.

Agreed.

The "problem" is a helluva lot more complex. How many students in this program are impoverished? How many of the blacks in Little Rock live below the poverty line? Even just the transport of a child to a summer program can be a barrier.

Not to mention: lead paint poisoning, socialization, poor nutrition, behavioral problems, crappy public schools, crappy teachers, low self image, biased IQ tests, biased IQ testers, etc.

The wonder is not that so few blacks participated; the wonder is that anyone poor, black and urban ever escapes that circle of hell.

So......

You're saying there's people in Arkansas with IQ's above 120?

People that are FROM Arkansas????:eek:

***Wow, I have to admit I'm astonished.***

So......

No, Arkansas is full of idiots., it stinks here, we all look to fuck you in your ass, and we never wear shoes. Please NEVER visit................

So......

No, Arkansas is full of idiots., it stinks here, we all look to fuck you in your ass, and we never wear shoes. Please NEVER visit................

See, this seems much more credible.

Forum List

Back