The Scarecrow of Hazard Mill.....Under the Black flag – Shenandoah Valley 1864

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
There has never been a more wretched hive of murder and villainy than existed in the vicinity of Front Royal in the fall of 1864.

Union Brig. General Wesley Merritt described the area as a “…paradise of bushwhackers and guerrillas.” Soldiers and civilians were murdered everywhere in cold blood while either traveling along the roads or in their homes.

From August through October of 1864 a host of demons descended upon the Front Royal community. Federal and Confederate Raiders roamed the countryside, essentially operating under the black flag of anarchy, giving no quarter. Each side executed prisoners and dragged them through the streets. Meanwhile, deserters and marauding bands of outlaws flourished in the mass disorder, and rape and looting went unchecked for months. Refugee women and children trudging northward from burning farms with all their belongings were easy prey for bushwhacking outlaws.

Hazard-Mill-1.png

More....

The Scarecrow of Hazard Mill

This was my town/area in 1864.....The opening sentence is not too far off the mark.......The town also had a well-known nickname by the 1790s, "Helltown," due to the many livestock wranglers and boatmen on the Shenandoah coming through the area, who came into town looking for alcohol.

My town used to be major cotton and lumber port and was filled with liquor joints and whorehouses. They have so sanitized this past for the sake of tourism that many locals have no idea.

My town used to be major cotton and lumber port and was filled with liquor joints and whorehouses. They have so sanitized this past for the sake of tourism that many locals have no idea.
LOL.....They tried a Helltown Festival 20+ years ago and I guess wires got crossed along the line and the Virginia chapter of the Outlaws biker gang showed-up.

It was all good since they sorta looked around, said WTF, and left but that was it for the Helltown Festival. :laughing0301:

The anarchy was mostly visited on innocent farmers in the Shenandoah by the Union Army. Union General Sheridan vowed to obey Grant's orders to "eat out Virginia free and clean" and that's what they did. Grant's pillagers would be tried as war criminals today but the winners write the history books.

Forum List

Back