The Scale of the Universe

The Universe is Super-Being!

dune.jpg

It just directed me to the 4chan page. I've seen this before and loved it the first time I saw it. I think our concept of size is often very wrong, or rudimentary at best. It's incredibly hard to try and encompass the two extremes of size and just how large or small some things are.

Here's another link :

It just directed me to the 4chan page. I've seen this before and loved it the first time I saw it. I think our concept of size is often very wrong, or rudimentary at best. It's incredibly hard to try and encompass the two extremes of size and just how large or small some things are.

Here's another link :
Thanks for that link. The one I posted is a little sketchy for some reason.

Here's another link :

Thank you. The first link would not work, that one did. Now you add the fourth dimension, time, and the history of just what has happened on this planet in the last 4.5 billion years, and we get a true measure of the present universe we inhabit.

Like the last lines in this song. Time to start the measure of the universe, and that of man;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ryd_p20XEU]Fire in the sky - music clip - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another link :

Thank you. The first link would not work, that one did. Now you add the fourth dimension, time, and the history of just what has happened on this planet in the last 4.5 billion years, and we get a true measure of the present universe we inhabit.
That would be another cool thing for someone to put together. I took a survey course in geologic history as an undergrad and I found it somewhat difficult to wrap my mind around the scale of time they were talking about. It seemed strange to talk about things like the K-T extinction 66 million years ago like it happened last week. It makes our 200,000 year time here seem like a split second.

Yes, 65 or 66 million years measured against 4.5 billion does seem small, then measure a million years against the lifespan of even the longest lived human, and the mind boggles. And then you have the activity of the continental plates, which in our lifespan seem so solid and immovable. Here is the movement in less than 1/4 of our planets lifespan;

Plate tectonics animation

Forum List

Back