The Sarc Mark will save all message boards!

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
The SarcMark: A new way to punctuate sarcasm? - THE WEEK

Sarcasm is hard to convey in emails and instant messaging, and many a relationship has gone awry due to an overly literal reading of a snarky electronic communication. Michigan-based Sarcasm Inc. (seriously) has proposed a solution: the SarcMark — an @-like symbol that goes at the end of sarcastic comments to indicate the writer's intent. Is the new punction mark — which can be downloaded at Sarcasm Inc's website for $2 — a good way to prevent misunderstandings, or does it just ruin the joke?

It sucks when sarcasm is incorrectly read as intent, however it (sarcasm) does not translate well into the written word. A brilliant idea for making money just not from me, because I can question the author for their intent should I be the least bit confused or care.

So it's for stupid and brain-damaged people?

By comparing healthy people and those with damage to different parts of the brain, they found the front of the brain was key to understanding sarcasm.
Damage to any of three different areas could render individuals unable to understand sarcastic comments.
BBC NEWS | Health | 'Sarcasm' brain areas discovered

The Anatomy of Sarcasm: Researchers Reveal How the Brain Handles This Complex Communication
What you may not have realized is that perceiving sarcasm, the smirking put-down that buries its barb by stating the opposite, requires a nifty mental trick that lies at the heart of social relations: figuring out what others are thinking. Those who lose the ability, whether through a head injury or the frontotemporal dementias afflicting the patients in Dr. Rankin’s study, just do not get it when someone says during a hurricane, “Nice weather we’re having.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/h...em&ex=1212638400&en=104a05b0bb21fa9c&ei=5087

What a great deal I think I'll go pay him 2 bucks for one right now. (sarcasm off)

In reality......
If you have to point out that it is sarcasm........it isn't

Forum List

Back