The Santorum Strategy

I have been thinking about this a lot the last week or so. How have Santorum's religious views become so dominant in political discourse lately? The conservatives blame the press for asking the questions and attempting to focus the conversation, but on the other hand Santorum is stupid enough to get caught in the trap. If these social issues are truly "non-issues" then why bother to talk about them? Why not simply say "I have my own personal beliefs but let's discuss the economy"? I have concluded that a) he is as stupid as a post and can't keep his mouth shut or b) facing a critical primary tomorrow in Michigan (he can forget about Arizona, Romney has that one locked up) and with Super Tuesday a mere week away (a situation where he cannot possibly hope to contend financially with Romney) he is doubling down with the strategy that his comments will focus the national dialogue on him (thereby giving him free publicity in states where he doesn't have the money to campaign) and the religious right will bail him out. I personally think it's more B than A but......

Questions

1) If A and he is simply too stupid to avoid media traps shouldn't we be concerned about his intellectual capacity as POTUS?

2) If B and he is engaging in a political strategy will it work?

3) If B and it does work will he be able to convincingly move back to center if he gets the nomination (which is vital in order to to gain support from moderates and Independents)?

I'm thinking A. All he has to do is say I have my religious beliefs and leave it at that......but he just can't shut up

He is already the current anybody but Romney, he doesn't have to provide excuses to scare people away

I'm also wondering why a Catholic candidate (Santorum) would say that a Catholic president (JFK) makes him "sick"?

By dismissing the 1960 campaign speech by the only Roman Catholic president to keep his faith out of politics, Mr Santorum appealed to the party's fervently religious base. It represented a further lurch to the Right in the battle to find a Republican candidate to face President Barack Obama in November.

"The first substantive line in the 1/8Kennedy 3/8 speech says, 'I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute'," Mr Santorum, a Roman Catholic, told ABC News. "You bet that makes you throw up."

His remarks came on the eve of today's (Tuesday's) crucial primary in Michigan where Mr Santorum is hoping to upset Mitt Romney, the front-runner, who finds himself scrambling to win his "home state". An aggregate of polls by Real Clear Politics has put Mr Romney two points ahead in the state, which senior Republicans have said he must win if his claim to be the man only who can beat Mr Obama is to retain credibility.

Read more: JFK's religion and politics speech makes me sick, says Santorum

He wants to focus on social issues for two reasons:

1. the Repub Base eats that stuff up
2. It will detract from the issue of him being a lobbyist.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...antorums-lobbyist-past-in-michigan-robo-call/
Trump dismisses the former Pennsylvania senator as a “career politician” who has “never had a job in the private sector.” He accuses Santorum of working as a lobbyist before and after serving in Washington.
“Rick Santorum is completely entrenched in the Washington culture and he has been for decades,” Trump says.
(Santorum worked for a law firm that lobbied on behalf of the World Wrestling Federation in the 1980′s and worked as a consultant to several companies after he lost his re-election bid to the U.S. Senate in 2006.)

Santorums views on contraception or his views on state rights pertaining to contraception? :eusa_whistle:

The SCOTUS has already ruled on that issue several times so while I defend his right to have his opinion, his opinion seems to be unconstitutional.

Several times? Try once in a fundamentally flawed case that doesn't follow the Constitution.

No actually there have been several. Griwold v. Connecticut, Eisenstadt v. Baird regarding the Massachusetts "crimes against chastity laws", several SCOTUS decisions about the Comstock Laws. It's been plenty more than just one.

I have been thinking about this a lot the last week or so. How have Santorum's religious views become so dominant in political discourse lately? The conservatives blame the press for asking the questions and attempting to focus the conversation, but on the other hand Santorum is stupid enough to get caught in the trap. If these social issues are truly "non-issues" then why bother to talk about them? Why not simply say "I have my own personal beliefs but let's discuss the economy"? I have concluded that a) he is as stupid as a post and can't keep his mouth shut or b) facing a critical primary tomorrow in Michigan (he can forget about Arizona, Romney has that one locked up) and with Super Tuesday a mere week away (a situation where he cannot possibly hope to contend financially with Romney) he is doubling down with the strategy that his comments will focus the national dialogue on him (thereby giving him free publicity in states where he doesn't have the money to campaign) and the religious right will bail him out. I personally think it's more B than A but......

Questions

What's the difference between him and Santorum on faith.

1) If A and he is simply too stupid to avoid media traps shouldn't we be concerned about his intellectual capacity as POTUS?

3) If B and it does work will he be able to convincingly move back to center if he gets the nomination (which is vital in order to to gain support from moderates and Independents)?

I'm thinking A. All he has to do is say I have my religious beliefs and leave it at that......but he just can't shut up

He is already the current anybody but Romney, he doesn't have to provide excuses to scare people away

Obama has just stated that his economic policies are based on his faith, the bible and his commitment to Christianity.

What's the difference between him and Santorum on faith?

Questions

What's the difference between him and Santorum on faith.

Obama has just stated that his economic policies are based on his faith, the bible and his commitment to Christianity.

The difference is Santorum has been stereotyped by the media as a religious fanatic and that will be the reason why he will not win.

Well if you looked at those comments in a vacuum, not much. But I do think there is some validity to the argument that a conservative who discusses faith will be stereotyped as an extremist religious nut while if a liberal does it it's viewed more as blowing smoke up the collective ass of the public.

On the other hand Obama rarely discusses his religious views (frankly I doubt he has many) while Santorum seems more than happy to jump right in and discuss it. As a Romney supporter I am sitting here thinking "just keep talking Santorum". No need to try to destroy the guy when it appears he is perfectly willing to do it all by himself.

Well if you looked at those comments in a vacuum, not much. But I do think there is some validity to the argument that a conservative who discusses faith will be stereotyped as an extremist religious nut while if a liberal does it it's viewed more as blowing smoke up the collective ass of the public.

On the other hand Obama rarely discusses his religious views (frankly I doubt he has many) while Santorum seems more than happy to jump right in and discuss it. As a Romney supporter I am sitting here thinking "just keep talking Santorum". No need to try to destroy the guy when it appears he is perfectly willing to do it all by himself.

Oh really?

Messiah College Professor:

Santorum is Opus Dei....

Rick Santorum sent two of his sons to a Washington, D.C. all-boys school affiliated with Opus Dei, the Catholic group whose members were portrayed as sinisterly weird in the sensationalistic Da Vinci Code but in reality only engage in some mild self-mutilation, "nothing traumatic," as the group's website says. Santorum went to Rome in 2002 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Opus Dei's founding, and he belongs to the St. Catherine of Siena Parish, a favorite of Opus Dei.

How Opus Dei Influenced Rick Santorum - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

He is talking about freedom of religion. As any candidate would be, and as they are, when the President tries to force a Church to act contrary to their beliefs.

And it's actually the cultural problems we face that are leading to our current economic problems. Unless we fix our culture, our time as a dominant economic power is over.

He is talking about "freedom of religion" the same way that the pols that pandered to segregationists "talked about" "states rights."
:ssex:

Sadly, as we have seen, batshit is all too often a winning strategy, especially in the US, where the average attention span allows the gop to launder the results of their collossal fuck ups through just ONE dem term in office (barely a rinse cycle, really) and point, with a totally straight face, to say, "look what THEY'VE done."

:eusa_doh:

This really boils down to government getting out of the business of sending tax payer dollars to "faith based initiatives" and the church getting out of business altogether. Religious organizations should not be running for profit shops. They should not have payrolls.

Santorum is appealing to Christian fanatics who have a taste for authoritarianist societies based on a rather primative and ignorant form of Christianity.

That is who he is, and that is what he thinks this nation ought to be.

It's about that simple, really.

Questions

Your entire premise is that the GOP needs to play down the social issues to win.

Which is a falacy.

GOP Candidates who've worn their social conservativism on their sleeves - namely Nixon, Reagan and George W. Bush - won decisively.

Ones who've downplayed it, Namely Ford, Dole and McCain, lost and lost badly.

If the GOP just ran on economic issues, where their policy seems to be, "the Rich can't afford enough polo ponies because some of you guys are still making middle class salaries", they'd lose.

Forum List

Back