The San FranFreakShow Mindset

Ninja

Dec 30, 2006
Glorious People's Republic of California
"The rules do not apply to me and my far-Left Democrat ilk - only to YOU."

State senator rear-ends Vallejo woman while talking on cell phone
Medianews Group report

Article Launched: 05/19/2007 08:46:15 AM PDT

Migden: Voted last year to impose a $20 fine for talking on cell phones while driving. :rolleyes:

A Vallejo woman reportedly suffered minor injuries Friday when her car was rear-ended by an SUV driven by a state senator talking on a cell phone while driving through Solano County.

State Sen. Carole Migden, D-San Francisco, was driving her new state-issued 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV at 10:40 a.m. on eastbound Highway 12 at Beck Avenue when she rear-ended Ellen Butawan, 31, of Vallejo, California Highway Patrol Officer Marvin Williford said.

Butawan's 2005 Honda sedan was slowing behind a 2003 GMC Savana van that had stopped at a red light, Williford said. The impact forced Butawan's car into the rear of the van, driven by Bob Jordan, 57, of Turlock.

Butawan complained of pain after the three-vehicle smashup and went to NorthBay Medical Center in Fairfield after the crash as a precautionary measure, Williford said.

Migden, 58, accepted blame Friday for the accident.

The collision remains under investigation, but it appears Migden took the wrong exit, inadvertently going on the eastbound I-80 connector onto eastbound Highway 12, Williford said. She was looking for a way to get back onto the freeway when she crashed into Butawan's vehicle, he said.

Migden's sobriety was verified by officers using a hand-held
Advertisement

breath-testing unit, even though there was nothing to indicate she had been drinking, Williford said.

"It was just a precaution," he said.

Her SUV, which she recently swapped for her taxpayer-funded 2005 Cadillac STS, sustained a dented front grill that kept the hood from closing properly. It was towed to the Fairfield CHP office, where officers used a coat hanger and duct-tape to secure it, before Migden drove it away to a meeting in Marin County.

Migden last year voted for a new law that takes effect in July 2008 that will impose a minimum fine of $20 for anyone caught using a cell phone while driving without a headset, ear bud or other technology that frees both hands.

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_5937218

Wow what a scoop!

This make the Cunningham thing look like nothing.

It burries the Wolfowitz giving his girlfreind a swwet job and the WB dime while his wife stayed home.

It pales the Congressional pages getting hit on for sex by Follie.

It Makes Neys perp walk look like a prom picture.

Man you have cracked it!

the case that will make everyone forget how corrupt the Rs are.

:clap2:

Actually, it will.

The average American doesn't give a fuck about tax evasion, bribes etc, because it doesn't affect them... Most just write it off as "politics as usual."

The only people who really give a fuck are the DUmmies and the MoveOn.org'ers. And it's fake outrage at that.

Sen Midgen's little peccadillo has much more relevance to the everyday man/woman because it would make them instantly in violation of the law. Gems like this make great propaganda pieces for my side.

Oh and by the way - Cunningham/Ney aren't really applicable here because they never voted for legislation that would have outlawed behavior they themselves would later partake in.

What a high opinion you have of your fellow Americans.

Yeah your right they will be so much more interested in this than their kids getting felt up by a congressman, their money being wasted on someones girlfriend,people profiteering off the deaths of our soldiers or there voting rights being stripped by con men.

I guess this is why the Rs are set to win the 08 election?

Wow what a scoop!

This make the Cunningham thing look like nothing.

It burries the Wolfowitz giving his girlfreind a swwet job and the WB dime while his wife stayed home.

It pales the Congressional pages getting hit on for sex by Follie.

It Makes Neys perp walk look like a prom picture.

Man you have cracked it!

:clap2:

Wow ... what a rebuttal. Nothing but deflections that don't address the issue.

Is Migden refusing to pay the fine? The article doesn't say whether she was using an earbud or hands-free device either.

I will add "throw the book at her"

Charge for everything she should be charged with.

Then I hope the lady sues her for all the damage.

This guy is trying to equate a car crash caused from the neglect of a distracted driver with some major malfeasance.

It was pretty silly so I got silly on him.

I will add "throw the book at her"

Charge for everything she should be charged with.

Then I hope the lady sues her for all the damage.

This guy is trying to equate a car crash caused from the neglect of a distracted driver with some major malfeasance.

It was pretty silly so I got silly on him.

Actually, YOU are the one trying to equate it to other matters. He just posted an an article about the vehicle incident. YOU immediately tried to downplay.

No, the world isn't going to stop turning over it. It's just a perfect example of elitist snobbery and hypocrisy. "Do as I say, not as I do."

There's room on the board for this and whatever issues you deem more important, so don't get your panties all in a knot over it.

maybe you missed this part of his post?

And that has what to do with equating Midgen's actions to those of Cunningham and Ney (who are both in prison and neither of whom ever voted for legislation that would harshen penalties for actions they both would later partake in)?

Well, the "do as I say not as I do" is rather obvious in this case, don't you think? She voted to outlaw talking on the phone while driving for some reason(s) that apparently she thinks apply to everyone but her.

It's rather hard to argue otherwise.

Um, herloooo? She's only being a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do elitist if she wasn't using a hands-free dealy or is refusing to pay the $20. Otherwise, she's following the same rules her constituents are.

Maybe I should have just stuck with "The rules do not apply to me - only to YOU."

I threw in the "far-Left Democrat ilk" to make it a tad bit more inflammatory and to ensure that I'd get at least a few more responses. The nature of what I said still stands though - she clearly thinks that she shouldn't have to abide by the same set of rules that we're expected to abide by.

I haven't done any digging on this, but my understanding is that - according to the general opinion of law enforcement - the level of impairment suffered by a driver talking on a cell phone is similar to his being legally drunk. And, the "hands-free" aspect is largely immaterial; DISTRACTION is the issue.

The thing is your just talking to someone ,should we band talking to your passenger?

Forum List

Back