The saga of 'Pizzagate': The fake story that shows how conspiracy theories spread

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Good article on this and the spread of conspiracy theories in general. Unfortunately, this one led to what could have been a tragedy when an armed gunman "fired a rifle inside a popular Washington, D.C., pizza place as he attempted to "self-investigate" a conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton was running a child sex ring from there"

The saga of 'Pizzagate': The fake story that shows how conspiracy theories spread - BBC News

No victim has come forward. There's no investigation. And physical evidence? That doesn't exist either.

But thousands of people are convinced that a paedophilia ring involving people at the highest levels of the Democratic Party is operating out of a Washington pizza restaurant.

The story riveted fringes of Twitter - nearly a million messages were sent last month using the term "pizzagate".

So how did this fake story take hold amongst alt-right Trump supporters and other Hillary Clinton opponents?

Let's start with the facts.

In early November, as Wikileaks steadily released piles of emails from Clinton's campaign chairman John Podesta, one contact caught the attention of prankster sites and people on the paranoid fringes.

James Alefantis is the owner of Comet Ping Pong, a pizza restaurant in Washington. He's also a big Democratic Party supporter and raised money for both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. He was once in a relationship with David Brock, an influential liberal operative.

Alefantis - who's never met Clinton - appeared in the Podesta emails in connection with the fundraisers.

And from these thin threads, an enormous trove of conspiracy fiction was spun.

What happened to all those women claiming Trump sexually assaulted them?

Unlike the OP - they did step up and issue complaints. So it wasn't a conspiracy theory - whether it actually happened is unproven at this time. According to this article, there are some 20 lawsuits out there from women against Trump and/or his companies.

Unlike the OP - they did step up and issue complaints. So it wasn't a conspiracy theory - whether it actually happened is unproven at this time. According to this article, there are some 20 lawsuits out there from women against Trump and/or his companies.

I'm not so sure Podesta isn't involved in something on the darkside.

If one is going to self investigate how does waving a rifle around help....isnt discretion high on the list of an investigator trying to slip into areas not allowed.......what you have here is fake........story makes no sense but you lap it up

I think he's being turned into a Bogeyman...that's the problem with these sorts of things.

If one is going to self investigate how does waving a rifle around help....isnt discretion high on the list of an investigator trying to slip into areas not allowed.......what you have here is fake........story makes no sense but you lap it up

I don't think "self-investigators" tend to think things through. Just a thought.

I think he's being turned into a Bogeyman...that's the problem with these sorts of things.

Well being on the left it's expected you'll defend him. People can give off bad vibes....Podesta is one of them

I don't think "self-investigators" tend to think things through. Just a thought.
riiiigghhhttttttt....convenient explanation fits with your bias' ............gee why did you lose

What happened to them? Huh, the guy that violated them got elected president that's what happened to them. Any clue what that's gotta feel like?

Obviously it's been very distressing to people like you...ya'll can't stop whining about it.

I never really bought into the women suddenly coming forward years after the supposed fact...and in the middle of an election no less. A tad tooooo convenient

Well being on the left it's expected you'll defend him. People can give off bad vibes....Podesta is one of them

I've never met him. Don't know anything about him. How can you get vibes? I don't think one way or the other about him.

riiiigghhhttttttt....convenient explanation fits with your bias' ............gee why did you lose

So you have evidence that this gunman is a fabrication. Please, bring it on...I'm sure we're all interested in seeing it :popcorn:

I've never met him. Don't know anything about him. How can you get vibes? I don't think one way or the other about him.

I've seen him on the tube, read some things about him...parents recognize these things.

While I'm sure the pizza gate thing is bullshit, there is a valid question about Clinton's little jaunts to pedophile Island with that sociopath bag man.

I wouldn't put any depravity past a democrook though. They wouldn't be in such pursuit of power and wealth without a serious pathological disturbance.

Flight logs show Bill Clinton flew on sex offender's jet much more than previously known

Former President Bill Clinton was a much more frequent flyer on a registered sex offender’s infamous jet than previously reported, with flight logs showing the former president taking at least 26 trips aboard the “Lolita Express” -- even apparently ditching his Secret Service detail for at least five of the flights, according to records obtained by FoxNews.com.

It baffles me how anyone can allow themselves to be represented by people like BJ and hitlary Clinton.

So you have evidence that this gunman is a fabrication. Please, bring it on...I'm sure we're all interested in seeing it :popcorn:
Didnt say there wasnt a gunman......said he wasnt there to investigate anything......that should be obvious,,,,,, now lets see if they throw the book at him or he gets some sort of deal..........

Forum List

Back