The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

From the crazy libertarian types over at right wing mises institute ...

Even Ford and Carter did a better job at cutting government. Their combined presidential terms account for an increase of 1.4%—compared with Reagan's 3%—in the government's take of "national income." And in nominal terms, there has been a 60% increase in government spending, thanks mainly to Reagan's requested budgets, which were only marginally smaller than the spending Congress voted. - The Free Market: The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan

The hell with Grover Norquist and his pathetic Reagan Legacy Project - How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan - Bill Clinton - Salon.com

Monday, Feb 2, 2009 05:28 ET
How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan
With the Gipper's reputation flagging after Clinton, neoconservatives launched a stealthy campaign to remake him as a "great" president.

natldebtchartb.jpg

Increases in the National Debt Chart

Last edited:
It is also true that out of the top five big spenders of the 20th century, 4 were Republicans. There is a huge gap between rhetoric and policy, which is unfortunate. As a Republican, that is what I am hoping to change within the party.

Last edited:

From the crazy libertarian types over at right wing mises institute ...

Even Ford and Carter did a better job at cutting government. Their combined presidential terms account for an increase of 1.4%—compared with Reagan's 3%—in the government's take of "national income." And in nominal terms, there has been a 60% increase in government spending, thanks mainly to Reagan's requested budgets, which were only marginally smaller than the spending Congress voted. - The Free Market: The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan

The hell with Grover Norquist and his pathetic Reagan Legacy Project - How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan - Bill Clinton - Salon.com

Monday, Feb 2, 2009 05:28 ET
How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan
With the Gipper's reputation flagging after Clinton, neoconservatives launched a stealthy campaign to remake him as a "great" president.

natldebtchartb.jpg

Increases in the National Debt Chart

puff puff give....

It is also true that out of the top five big spenders of the 20th century, 4 were Republicans. There is a huge gap between rhetoric and policy, which is unfortunate. As a Republican, that is what I am hoping to change within the party.

While I probably disagree with you philosophically, I must say I respect your dedication, insight, and honesty here.

:clap2:

Is it really possible that all the triumphant declarations that the Reagan tax cuts led to a revenue boom — declarations that you see in highly respectable places — are based on nothing but a failure to make the most elementary corrections for inflation and population growth? Yes, it is. I know we’re supposed to pretend that we’re having a serious discussion in this country; but the truth is that we aren’t. - Reagan and revenue - NYTimes.com

The OP is yet another idiot take on the Reagan era, which simply dumps out raw numbers without analyzing the horrendous foreign and domestic situations Reagan inherited from the disastrous Carter administration. Noithing to see here, folks, move along.

The OP is yet another idiot take on the Reagan era, which simply dumps out raw numbers without analyzing the horrendous foreign and domestic situations Reagan inherited from the disastrous Carter administration. Noithing to see here, folks, move along.

...dumps out raw numbers without analyzing the horrendous foreign and domestic situations Obama inherited from the disastrous George W. Bush administration

Not only that, but the horrendous implications of the disasterous economic policies of LBJ, Nixon & Ford, as well as Carter.

I'm waiting for him to post the sad legacy of Jimma Carter.

should we hold our breath.

some people just won't live in the here and now. And they damn sure don't want to talk the sad President we have in the White House now.

The article in the OP is not simply raw numbers. You are absolutely right on the disastrous foreign and domestic situations. But Reagan did not cut spending, lower taxes by any significant amount, or reduce the size of government. In fact, he did most the opposite. He truly was the Great Communicator, for he was able to have the widest policy-rhetoric gap of any politician in the history of the United States.

I am a Republican. It is important to face reality if you want to overcome big government. Reagan's legacy is sad because it offered hope for reducing government, but ultimately the opposite happened. We can't make the same mistake in 2012.

Last edited:
Um hello, anybody there? you look but do not see. The debt is not about politics. Yes many Reagen was a tool used by the men commiting treason against the states (purpose to bankrupt) but politics it is not and playing the blame game will only allow them to continue.
the reason why money was needed to be borrowed during the Reagen era was because they started to dismantle American industry then. the debt is money used to create a facade to hide the money lost by losing industry. By keeping the services still up and running without the industries wealth paying for them was a method to allow for your country to be treasonly sold out from under your nose. Oh ya the propaganda helped to. Remember how sorry you felt for all those over paid under worked union wrokers who lost their jobs? you were conditioned not to care just as you will be conditioned to hate your present government and hold it responsible for the economic collapes and not those involved. Allowing for those involved to ride their white horse into protect you while you endorse them into taking away all rights and liberties in exchange for protection and food.

At least Reagan LOVED his country.

I can't say I see that in the one we have NOW.

I'm waiting for him to post the sad legacy of Jimma Carter.

should we hold our breath.

some people just won't live in the here and now. And they damn sure don't want to talk the sad President we have in the White House now.
sorry to disappoint you my dear wingnut, but Carter?

Never voted for the man. Was with Birch Bayh in 1976 and Ted Kennedy in 1980.

Forum List

Back