The Sad End Game of Bobby Fischer

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
What a sad end game for the greatest chess genius of all time. He was an anti Semite, even though his mother was Jewish, and he hated the US for trying to punish him for playing chess in Yugoslavia when it was under sanctions. In 1956, at the age of 13, Fischer played what some believe to be the most brilliant game of chess ever played. At a minimum it was the greatest game of the 20th Century.

1956_newjersey_simul.jpg

The game involved a queen sacrifice to a former US Open Champion chess player on move 17. Playing Black, Fischer inexorably crushed his opponent.

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.d4 0-0 5.Bf4 d5 6.Qb3 dxc4 7.Qxc4 c6 8.e4 Nbd7 9.Rd1 Nb6 10.Qc5 Bg4 11.Bg5 Na4 12.Qa3 Nxc3 13.bxc3 Nxe4 14.Bxe7 Qb6 15.Bc4 Nxc3 16.Bc5 Rfe8+ 17.Kf1 Be6!! 18.Bxb6 Bxc4+ 19.Kg1 Ne2+ 20.Kf1 Nxd4+ 21.Kg1 Ne2+ 22.Kf1 Nc3+ 23.Kg1 axb6 24.Qb4 Ra4 25.Qxb6 Nxd1 26.h3 Rxa2 27.Kh2 Nxf2 28.Re1 Rxe1 29.Qd8+ Bf8 30.Nxe1 Bd5 31.Nf3 Ne4 32.Qb8 b5 33.h4 h5 34.Ne5 Kg7 35.Kg1 Bc5+ 36.Kf1 Ng3+ 37.Ke1 Bb4+ 38.Kd1 Bb3+ 39.Kc1 Ne2+ 40.Kb1 Nc3+ 41.Kc1 Rc2+ 0-1

In 1972, at the height of the Cold War, Fischer defeated Boris Spassky, the reigning World Champion to reach the pinnacle of the game. Fischer never returned to America after the early 90s, dying of kidney failure in Iceland on 17 January at the age of 64.

bobby-fischer-life-nov-12-1971.jpg

In 1956, at the age of 13, Fischer played what some believe to be the most brilliant game of chess ever played. At a minimum it was the greatest game of the 20th Century.

1956_newjersey_simul.jpg

The game involved a queen sacrifice to a former US Open Champion chess player on move 17. Playing Black, Fischer inexorably crushed his opponent.

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.d4 0-0 5.Bf4 d5 6.Qb3 dxc4 7.Qxc4 c6 8.e4 Nbd7 9.Rd1 Nb6 10.Qc5 Bg4 11.Bg5 Na4 12.Qa3 Nxc3 13.bxc3 Nxe4 14.Bxe7 Qb6 15.Bc4 Nxc3 16.Bc5 Rfe8+ 17.Kf1 Be6!! 18.Bxb6 Bxc4+ 19.Kg1 Ne2+ 20.Kf1 Nxd4+ 21.Kg1 Ne2+ 22.Kf1 Nc3+ 23.Kg1 axb6 24.Qb4 Ra4 25.Qxb6 Nxd1 26.h3 Rxa2 27.Kh2 Nxf2 28.Re1 Rxe1 29.Qd8+ Bf8 30.Nxe1 Bd5 31.Nf3 Ne4 32.Qb8 b5 33.h4 h5 34.Ne5 Kg7 35.Kg1 Bc5+ 36.Kf1 Ng3+ 37.Ke1 Bb4+ 38.Kd1 Bb3+ 39.Kc1 Ne2+ 40.Kb1 Nc3+ 41.Kc1 Rc2+ 0-1

I first saw this game on an old Chessmaster software program I once had. It is simply amazing.

He was an anti semite. He spewed it whenever he got a chance..along with saying things like 9-1-1 was a great day and it was time for the US to be wiped off the face of the earth.

Just more evidence that a person can be highly intelligent and still be a complete ass, social reject, and incapable of wiping your own ass.

By the way, where is Larkinn??

He was an anti semite. He spewed it whenever he got a chance..along with saying things like 9-1-1 was a great day and it was time for the US to be wiped off the face of the earth.

Just more evidence that a person can be highly intelligent and still be a complete ass, social reject, and incapable of wiping your own ass.

By the way, where is Larkinn??

In what context was he saying these things.

Have no idea where Larkinn is. Never had much to do with him/her...

He was saying them in straight up context on the radio and on television, whenever anybody gave him a microphone. It was all he DID say or wanted to say. He belonged to some loony cult for a while, and went downhill from there.

I think it's pretty much a given that he was mentally ill, though maybe not enough to hospitalize. There's a lot of that going around.

In what context was he saying these things.

Have no idea where Larkinn is. Never had much to do with him/her...
Doctor, even when he was young, Fischer walked the line between brilliance and madness. He was so eccentric that people found it very difficult to be around him. When he would go off the edge, which was often, his main symptom was deep paranoia. He frequently thought people were out to get him and to steal from him. And this was mostly not the case. He had tax problems and thought he was being persecuted by the state. He thought, like WJ, that Jews were in control of the government and that they were out to personally get him. He thought these crazy things even though his mother was Jewish. There is not much question that on some level Bobby Fisher was mentally ill, and it just seemed to get worse as he grew older. In 1972, he lost the first two games of the World Chess Championship to the Russian, Boris Spassky. After the two game spot, Fischer crushed Spassky (from what I have read, it was not close at all, Fischer was on another level than everyone else) to win the World Championship. He was stripped of his title a few years later, and that deepened his paranoia. Needing money he played a reunion match with Spassky in 1992 in the former Yugoslavia. It was forbidden to travel there for economic gain if you were an American because of sanctions, but Fischer went anyway. As a result he would have been arrested if he went back to the US, but never did. He hated the government for that and said horrible things about 911 and more. He died a citizen of Iceland where he had played his famous match against Spassky in 1972. I have looked at Fischer games and they have an intensity of aggression and brilliance that is truly startling; different, deeper than other players. That queen sacrifice at the age of 13 was almost science fiction. No one had ever seen anything that deep into a chess board.

Sorry bout that,

1. But I knew Bobby Fischer, on yahoo chess.
2. His id was bobyreal, and I diligently saved over 100 of his games.
3. He and I were *Great Buds*, on yahoo, and I was just about the only one he ever talked too.
4. We used to chat for hours on a locked table, while he showed me some chess moves.
5. The heat got on him so he left.
6. But not before I met him and saved all those games.
7. Here's a half game free sample:

Title: Yahoo! Chess Game
;White: bobyreal
;Black: sherezo2003
;Date: Sat Feb 14 04:05:23 GMT 2004

1. e2-e4 e7-e5
2. g1-f3 b8-c6
3. f1-b5 a7-a6
4. b5xc6 d7xc6
5. b2-b3 g8-e7
6. c1-b2 f7-f6
7. d1-e2 e7-g6
8. g2-g3 c8-e6
9. d2-d4 e6-h3
10. b1-d2 f8-d6

"

8. Anyone who knows chess at a GM level will be able to see the *PURE GENIUS* of these moves.
9. I will never forget the night he bashed his computer after losing to a GrandMaster, man was he pissed, didn't come back for a week.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. I still have these games, I wonder what they are worth?
2. They are amazing games, they would blow your mind if you knew how to play.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sounds like a sick genius. I am not old enough to remember the game and the man at the height of his brilliance. He must have been magnificent.
Sadly, he turned into one of those brilliant people who for whatever reason rejected society and the world. I bet he may have had late stage schizophrenia; it befalls people early to mid-life. The exasperating thing is why is it so often entwined with genius?
I think people like him are just operating on a different level.
Is there any type of biography on him that can be read?

From what I have known he wasn't a nice human being, he was a brilliant asshole. Gee, this sounds SO familiar :D

Here's a quote from 'Mr. bobby, nice guy':
From, The Atlantic:
'This radio broadcast was Fischer's seventeenth in the Philippines. The bizarre karaoke interlude was a departure of sorts, but otherwise the broadcast was no different from the previous sixteen. Fischer's talking points never vary'

The Jews are a "filthy, lying bastard people" bent on world domination through such insidious schemes as the Holocaust ("a money-making invention"), the mass murder of Christian children ("their blood is used for black-magic ceremonies"), and junk food (William Rosenberg, the founder of Dunkin' Donuts, is singled out as a culprit).

Bobby Fischer’s Pathetic Endgame - Magazine - The Atlantic

Genius doesn't bestow niceness.

Bobby was a hell of a chess player.

He was also obviously a very unhappy person.

RIP

Genius doesn't bestow niceness.

Bobby was a hell of a chess player.

He was also obviously a very unhappy person.

RIP

I have to somewhat agree, I have known a few over my lifetime and some were 'tolerable', you know the type, annoying at times, only because they 'live' on another plane, but a couple were just plain nasty. and one I can recall was actually very nice and communicated well on all levels, but loved his privacy.

He also invented a type of chess where the major pieces are arrayed at random on the back row. This took people "out of the book" and made them think anew from move 1.

New Topics

Forum List

Back