The Ryan Medicare Plan...Not what Democrats claim

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Democrats are still hammering an old, and since replaced, GOP proposal, claiming it would “end Medicare,” and cost seniors $6,000 more a year for their health care. The newest Republican budget, proposed by Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, keeps traditional Medicare — unlike his plan from 2011 — and the increased cost claim is no longer applicable to it.

Here’s a quick rundown of the latest Ryan plan:

For seniors who are now in Medicare, nothing changes. They can stay with the traditional program as it is.

Beginning in 2023, 65-year-olds would have their choice of insurance plans — private and traditional — on a new Medicare exchange. A premium-support payment, like a subsidy, would be sent to the plan of their choice.

If the chosen plan costs more than the premium-support, the senior would pay the difference.

The Medicare eligibility age would be slowly raised to 67 by 2034.

All plans on the Medicare exchange would offer a base level of benefits, and they would be regulated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

The premium-support payments would be tied to the second-cheapest plan, which can’t grow more than gross domestic product plus 0.5 percentage points. If the cost does grow faster, Congress would be required to step in and take some action to keep costs down

FactCheck.org : No End to ‘End Medicare’ Claim

Republicans and Democrats alike agree that something has to be done about the spiraling costs of Medicare. The Ryan plan above is the most responsible action plan the Congress has had. I think many of you will agree.

Are you stupid? Apparently you have not seen this actual footage or Paul Ryan throwing his G-ma off a cliff!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnE83A1Z4U]The Agenda Project: Granny Off the Cliff - YouTube[/ame]

Democrats are still hammering an old, and since replaced, GOP proposal, claiming it would “end Medicare,” and cost seniors $6,000 more a year for their health care. The newest Republican budget, proposed by Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, keeps traditional Medicare — unlike his plan from 2011 — and the increased cost claim is no longer applicable to it.

For seniors who are now in Medicare, nothing changes. They can stay with the traditional program as it is.

Beginning in 2023, 65-year-olds would have their choice of insurance plans — private and traditional — on a new Medicare exchange. A premium-support payment, like a subsidy, would be sent to the plan of their choice.

If the chosen plan costs more than the premium-support, the senior would pay the difference.

All plans on the Medicare exchange would offer a base level of benefits, and they would be regulated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

The premium-support payments would be tied to the second-cheapest plan, which can’t grow more than gross domestic product plus 0.5 percentage points. If the cost does grow faster, Congress would be required to step in and take some action to keep costs down

Republicans and Democrats alike agree that something has to be done about the spiraling costs of Medicare. The Ryan plan above is the most responsible action plan the Congress has had. I think many of you will agree.
Not to mention that a lot of what his plan entails is choice, much like the choice that Congress enjoys.

This is not what passed in his budget is it?

Anyhow, if it's a choice, and people can just stay in the current Medicare as is, where do you save money?

Anyhow, if it's a choice, and people can just stay in the current Medicare as is, where do you save money?

His budget never made it to the Senate floor. Reid said they didn't need any ol' budget. Read the entire post.

Last edited:

His budget never made it to the Senate floor. Reid said they didn't need any ol' budget. Read the entire post.

What did the House pass?

Wow. I remember when wingnuts spent all of 2011 (and the first few months of 2012) denying that Ryan was straight up ending Medicare.

Then he dialed it back in an election year, opting to slowly strangle it instead of swiftly pulling the plug, and the right's response is: "Well, yeah, he did propose to end it but that's outdated! Why are you looking at what virtually every elected Republican voted for last year! That was eons ago!"

You people must be out of your fucking minds.

Wow. I remember when wingnuts spent all of 2011 (and the first few months of 2012) denying that Ryan was straight up ending Medicare.

Then he dialed it back in an election year, opting to slowly strangle it instead of swiftly pulling the plug, and the right's response is: "Well, yeah, he did propose to end it but that's outdated! Why are you looking at what virtually every elected Republican voted for last year! That was eons ago!"

:lol:I love it when a drones mask slips....whats a matter? they counting paper clips at that boiler room you working at? gonna shut it down since CLASS went belly up?

the question for you, is; why is Ryan a villain and obama isn't?

obama plans on cutting huge $$$$ from medicare, if Ryan is too, why aren't you savaging Obama too?

here let me help- because you lack one key character ingredient- integrity.

a sheep, nothing more. you haven't thought for yourself since you shit your pants as an infant....

His proposal is not strangling it all. Read it.

His proposal is not strangling it all. Read it.

I have read it. And I read the fantasy version they put forth last year when they weren't thinking about the election. They're both shitty but I suspect that in the doomsday scenario of an all-R government we can expect their idealized Tea Party version, not the "oh shit, we have to face the voters this year" version.

Either way, Medicare is on the way out if Ryan gets his way. Although it's not clear why, as the ostensible goal of his proposal (meeting specific per enrollee Medicare spending growth targets) has already been achieved by President Obama.

Last edited:

Yeah, he made the mistake of an opening bid which was open to modification. Unlike Obama who never made a firm commitment on anything substantive and just let others half hazardly write a bill which was never open to any input by anyone but a chosen few. What a bunch of out their fucking mind crazies.

Yeah, he made the mistake of an opening bid which was open to modification.

He got excited. First year in power as chairman and he lets the cat out of the bag as to what their game is.

Rookie mistake, but he's young. But the damage is done. This "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" shit isn't going to undo it.

If you read the plan, you'll even see there is a time when Congress can interdept oif the expense for the consumer gets too high. Did Obama do that? Does he have any plans for the future? (That he plans on keeping)

The cost benefits of Obamacare will solve Medicare problems, along with some tweaks. Ryan would destroy Medicare as we know it, and leave seniors in the lurch.Ideological idiocy. The GOP is TOAST.

:lol:I love it when a drones mask slips....whats a matter? they counting paper clips at that boiler room you working at? gonna shut it down since CLASS went belly up?

obama plans on cutting huge $$$$ from medicare, if Ryan is too, why aren't you savaging Obama too?

a sheep, nothing more. you haven't thought for yourself since you shit your pants as an infant....

:clap2::clap2: HEAR HEAR..........

They will ignore that fact, it is selective outrage, the hypocrites on the left will also ignore your post.

Forum List

Back