The Rule of Thumb: Size of government

I'm sorry, what am I missing... 20% would be 1/5th of the total US population. Or, 1 out of every 5 people, not 15,000.

Am I wrong here?

If the US has lets say 310million people, to keep it simple... 20% would be 62,000,000 million of that 310,000,000 million working for Government.

Last edited:
We have 2 million workers to manage the affairs of a country of over 300 million. That is less than 1% of the population is federal government.

We also have a Department of Defense that is larger than the combined expenditures of the next 20 countries combined. We need a workforce to manage the affairs of that huge military force

We also have Social Security and Medicare for people who have paid their whole life for that benefit. Do we want to force them to wait longer to receive their benefits? Do we want to slow down the processing of claims and requests for information?

Do we want to scale down our prison system?

Food inspections, FBI, Border Security,Air traffic control...where do we want to cut?

We have 2 million workers to manage the affairs of a country of over 300 million. That is less than 1% of the population is federal government.

We also have a Department of Defense that is larger than the combined expenditures of the next 20 countries combined. We need a workforce to manage the affairs of that huge military force

We also have Social Security and Medicare for people who have paid their whole life for that benefit. Do we want to force them to wait longer to receive their benefits? Do we want to slow down the processing of claims and requests for information?

Do we want to scale down our prison system?

Food inspections, FBI, Border Security,Air traffic control...where do we want to cut?

Maybe you can call up Obama and get a list of areas he wants to cut... Maybe Obama is going to cut the Wars, defense, FBI, Homeland security, secret prisons and boarder security... Ops, nope he expanded them LOL!

Ohhhh…. But RW, if I direct you to Rand or Ron Paul’s bills on cuts you shit a brick about how they don’t care about the peeon’s. You do realize Rand Paul has a proposal to cut 500 billion and talks OPENLY about wanting to cut military spending right?

But If I like Rand or Ron then you can attack me for supporting a Republican and all good is Void… Nope, let’s keep spending until it all falls apart, then we can pray for all the peeon’s that will surely be starving in the streets, right RW?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only ratio that should be used is the federal government should not ever cost more than 20% of GDP. Spend it however you want just stay at 20% GDP total cost.

The only ratio that should be used is the federal government should not ever cost more than 20% of GDP. Spend it however you want just stay at 20% GDP total cost.

Money in = Money out= Balanced budget

Taxes= Money in
Spending= Money out

Taxes= Money in
Spending= Money out

I don't understand... What you said has nothing to do with what we are talking about. "Money in" is not taxes.

Borrow/Taxes = Money in
Sending = money out with huge deficit

This is our current system.

Last edited:

Taxes= Money in
Spending= Money out

The less government takes the more we have to keep for ourselves.

Your "logic" could be used to justify a 100% tax rate.

Forum List

Back