The Rule of Thumb: Size of government

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
As the population continues to grow, so does the size of government to meet the needs of the people. My question is, what should be the ratio of government employees to how many citizens? If we can agree on a ratio, a standard could be set to guide America.

I would think 20% would be sufficient to run federal government. That is about 1 worker to every 15,000 citizens. I think I hear figures of around 50%, but whatever, that is my estimate, 1 to 1,500 citizens should be the standard.

Better rule of thumb. No government official till a specific need is shown that cannot be satisfied by the private sector.

As the population continues to grow, so does the size of government to meet the needs of the people. My question is, what should be the ratio of government employees to how many citizens? If we can agree on a ratio, a standard could be set to guide America.

I would think 20% would be sufficient to run federal government. That is about 1 worker to every 15,000 citizens. I think I hear figures of around 50%, but whatever, that is my estimate, 1 to 1,500 citizens should be the standard.

Does this include our military personnel? I.e., Government employees?

As of 30 September 2010, 1,430,895 people are on active duty[13] in the military with an additional 848,000 people in the seven reserve components.[3] It is an all volunteer military, however, conscription through the Selective Service System can be enacted by the request of the President and the approval of Congress. All males, ages 18 through 25, who are living in the U.S. are required to register with the Selective Service for a potential future draft.

United States Armed Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hell, there's 7% right there....

Better rule of thumb. No government official till a specific need is shown that cannot be satisfied by the private sector.

That is a bad rule of thumb because the private sector cost us more than having government do it themselves. ie Haliburton discretions.

So back to looking for a reasonable standard.

I think it should. In nam the ratio was five support people to one combat troop with feet on the ground. The ME is much higher, because private contractors have taken over many military positions. mess halls, fuel, cargo, protection, etc.

Here's the rule of thumb: government should continuously seek to improve productivity and to reduce its burden upon taxpayers.

I think it should. In nam the ratio was five support people to one combat troop with feet on the ground. The ME is much higher, because private contractors have taken over many military positions. mess halls, fuel, cargo, protection, etc.

And yet we still need over 2M men and women as actual soldiers???? Really? For defense?

Including water, the United States is 3,618,780 square miles. Do we REALLY need over 2 million people to defend this?

Last edited:

"The Obama administration says the government will grow to 2.15 million employees this year, topping 2 million for the first time since President Clinton declared that “the era of big government is over” and joined forces with a Republican-led Congress in the 1990s to pare back the federal work force.

Most of the increases are on the civilian side, which will grow by 153,000 workers, to 1.43 million people, in fiscal 2010.

The expansion could provide more ammunition to those arguing that the government is trying to do too much under President Obama."

Largest-ever federal payroll to hit 2.15 million - Washington Times

That would be about a 12% increase in federal (civilian) employees.

"As the population continues to grow, so does the size of government ..."

By your calculations, the population of the United States is about 350 millon, huh?

"The Obama administration says the government will grow to 2.15 million employees this year, topping 2 million for the first time since President Clinton declared that “the era of big government is over” and joined forces with a Republican-led Congress in the 1990s to pare back the federal work force.

Most of the increases are on the civilian side, which will grow by 153,000 workers, to 1.43 million people, in fiscal 2010.

The expansion could provide more ammunition to those arguing that the government is trying to do too much under President Obama."

By your calculations, the population of the United States is about 350 millon, huh?

Actually, as of September 2010, is was slightly over 305 Billion.

It would be interesting to compare the Government size/population under Reagan compared to Obama

Actually, as of September 2010, is was slightly over 305 Billion.
(I'm sure you mean 305 million...too much Obama news)

And, of course, that was the point I was making with respect to the OP...no relationship between federal employment and population of the nation.

No, the increase is due to the nature of the administration, i.e., Progressives.

Woodrow Wilson explained the progressive agenda, more and more unelected government administrators, more and more regulations, more and more agencies.

Last edited:
How does the size of the US Govt compare to the size of other industrialized nations?

Here's the rule of thumb: government should continuously seek to improve productivity and to reduce its burden upon taxpayers.

Ok, that sounds good, but you will never know when the burden has been increased or be able to look at the standard and look at the situation and decide if a government increase is valid. The GAO currently looks at situations, but as you can see, your cup of tea is another's cup of coffee. We need a standard measurement to constantly shoot for, which could lower taxes or help keep them at the same rate.

And yet we still need over 2M men and women as actual soldiers???? Really? For defense?

Including water, the United States is 3,618,780 square miles. Do we REALLY need over 2 million people to defend this?

I am not sure, but someone might have an answer beside the fox guarding the hen house pentagon. I could never get a replug to make a likely scenario for an attack on America. But it seems to me the only border we should worry about is the Southern land portion. Canada has or back, and a sizable enemy force could never use the ocean or air.

Last edited:

I usually say 300 million, but you are probably closer

Forum List

Back