The Royal Opinion

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
In the wake of Charles's visit to the middleast this weekend, I have had some thoughts stir. I saw an interview with someone named Starky. They were discussing the whole institution of the royals and what they are today. He said we would never hear an opinion from the royals on WMD, motivations for war, whether the war was right or wrong, etc. It would be totally unacceptable, he said, for the Royals to get politically involved. I want to know what Charles' thinks about the war so bad. Why can't he say?

• Banned
I mean, come on. Every tom, dick, and harry has an opinion. But the king must be silent? Talk about golden handcuffs.

• Banned
I guess this thread really sucks. I guess I'm the only one who cares what Prince Charles thinks about the war. I'm so very, very special in my concern for the issues you laypeople find uninteresting.

I think the main reason the royals must refrain from expressing their opinions on matters like these is that, even though they're only figureheads, their words still carry a great deal of weight with the populace, which makes their expressing an opinion tantamount to interfering in the elected government.

• Banned
Originally posted by SinisterMotives
I think the main reason the royals must refrain from expressing their opinions on matters like these is that, even though they're only figureheads, their words still carry a great deal of weight with the populace, which makes their expressing an opinion tantamount to interfering in the elected government.

Yes. But they are still officially considered heads of state, but they cannot speak. The Prince of England does not have the right to free speech. It's just odd. I bet he was for the invasion.

Perhaps he'll write about it in his memoirs in 50 years when it's no longer relevant.

Forum List

Back