The Roots and Perils of Eduspeak

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I've noticed at bit at my daughter's school, but my daughter is only in gr.2. It's probably not a big deal, but it gets on my nerves just the same.

The Roots and Perils of Eduspeak—The Language of Pretense and Evasion
by Cynthia Rurak

A form of jargon called “Eduspeak” is creeping into classrooms across the country, intimidating parents and complicating learning, yet many teachers seem largely blind to it.

News media articles in Canada and the US report that the convoluted jargon of the professional educator is making its way into classrooms. But appeals from confused parents and outside professionals that teachers use plain language will have little effect until the ideas that have long been driving the jargon change.

It Can’t Happen Here … Can It?
Linda Perlstein, reporting on the proliferation of “educationese” in American schools for the Washington Post, says that since starting as an education writer six years ago, she has seen the jargon employed at the higher levels of the education system—in the schools of education and by the bureaucrats—permeate the classroom.

For Canadian students, Perlstein’s report foreshadows things to come, if not what is already here. Greg Gribbon, Director of the Ontario-based Organization for Quality Education, says “virtually every education fad that Ontario has experienced, and continues to experience, at least since the 1960s, comes from the US.” Like the canary in the coalmine, recent news stories in the Ottawa Citizen and the National Post suggesting that the spread of academic bafflegab into Canada’s schoolrooms has already begun bear Gribbon out.

At the Teepee Creek School in Alberta, for example, students who used to read now engage in “USSR—Uninterrupted Sustained Silent Reading.” Instead of comparing books, fifth and sixth graders at Grace Martin Elementary School in Edmonton make “text-to-text connections,” while high schoolers at the Don Mills Collegiate Institute in Toronto write “longer constructed responses” rather than the simpler essay. Misbehaving students from Emily Carr Middle School in British Columbia to Jockvale Elementary School in Ottawa no longer face detention—they go to a “Reflection Room” to talk, to sort out difficulties, and to, well, reflect.

When Jargon Is Not Really Jargon
To its critics, the practice of calling grades “outcomes,” tests “assessments,” and libraries “learning resource centres” is pretentious, designed to make educators look smart at the expense of clarity. While jargon has its functions, creating a kind of cohesiveness among group members, the use of professional “in-talk” with parents puts up a barrier to communication, says Malkin Dare, a mother of two university-aged children who is a member of the Organization for Quality Education.

Widener University education professor Edward Rozycki goes further, describing Eduspeak as “a language of hypocrisy … of indecision, of hesitation, of reluctance, of prissiness and of indirection—all those things that undermine the formation of courage, steadfastness, forthrightness, and commitment.”

Yet some classroom educators defend the use of such convoluted and evasive language. Explaining why disruptive children now have reflection time instead of a detention at LaSalle Public School near Windsor, principal Fran Pohanka says they don’t want to use the term “detention.” “It has a negative connotation. We find ‘reflection’ to be a kinder, gentler thing to say.”

Even Susan, a reform-minded teacher in the Toronto School District who wishes to remain anonymous, sees the reflection sheets her students fill out as a more enlightened way to discipline children, rather than a politically correct whitewash. “I don’t notice that much jargon in the classroom,” she says, “just in the Blob—the teachers’ unions, school board officials, ministries of education, textbook publishers, and the faculties of education that make up the education system.”

The Language of Learning
Like the frog in the pot of boiling water, some teachers don’t seem to notice the rising level of polysyllabic jargon in their classrooms, perhaps because they have been immersed in it for too long.

A study of manuals from 100 teacher training programs around the world by Martin Kozloff, a sociologist at the University of North Carolina–Wilmington, suggests that teachers’ colleges function as induction centres into the jargon, normalizing its use. This practice would be acceptable if the jargon were useful, providing a shortcut to a concept commonly used in the field or precisely defining a complicated idea. But Kozloff complains that the lingo only paints a sophisticated veneer on the obvious, the empty, and the banal. “It’s unmatched twaddle. Unbelievable bilge. Absolutely staggering nonsense.”

Susannah Kelly’s experience in her first year as a teacher suggests that many of the latest buzzwords bandied about at teachers’ conferences and professional development centres are shallow and puffed up. Warned by a professor at the University of Ottawa to expect a flood of jargon that, though popular today, will be gone tomorrow, Kelly reports that she has already encountered many words, such as “rubric” (a type of assessment strategy), and acronyms like KWL (Know, Want to Know, Learned), that make the teaching profession bewildering and esoteric.

Although buzzwords come and go, jargon has been around a long time, making its recognition near impossible. According to University of Victoria, British Columbia, education professor Thomas Fleming, the arrival of “bafflegab” began decades ago as part of a strategy among educators, academics, and bureaucrats to gain professional status. But the author of Left Back: A Century of Battles over School Reform, educational historian Diane Ravitch, says that Eduspeak dates back nearly a century to a coterie of academics known as “educational engineers” who sought to revolutionize schools by turning education into a science.

We Don’t Need No Thought Control
According to Ravitch, academic jargon has been around since at least the 1920s, ever since progressive reform theorists, believing that the education system was too complex to be entrusted to parents and teachers, argued that “curriculum experts” should rule. Many of jargon’s critics believe that this desire to promote a particular agenda and maintain a grip on power has given the lexicon of academia a darker, more sinister aspect, which is evident in the name used to describe it—Eduspeak.

Continued Here

Said1 said:
I've noticed at bit at my daughter's school, but my daughter is only in gr.2. It's probably not a big deal, but it gets on my nerves just the same.

Continued Here

You have all the right to be angry and you should be even angrier because this trend seems like it will only gain momentum and should hit its apex by the time your child hits high school.

I had a Biology teacher my Freshman year in HS who used to call HW "Success Assignments." He was the head of the Science department in the school (he had been working there close to 40 years) and a few years before him, he became "enlightened" by the new wave of education. He NEVER (and I mean not once) lectured about the principles of bio...he once picked up a piece of chalk and jokingly said, "What am I doing with this?" All we did were labs (which he would not help us with) and take tests that were straight from hell. He believed he was only there to "facilitate" our learning, rather than guide us. Needless to say, I suck at bio.

The point of that story is that we are seeing a new wave of liberal teaching methods that emphasize the "freedom" of the student and push the teacher to the background. What made me laugh in that article was "reflection time." Maybe we should call prison the same thing as well. You need to be held accountable for your actions early on in life. Part of being an American (or a Canadian like yourself) is that there are actions and CONSEQUENCES-- you act properly to avoid those consequences because they are not too glamorous.

And on the educational side of this philosophy, we see teachers stepping back more and more (ie- my biology teacher and "silent reading"). There is a time for teachers to step back-- it's called homework. We come to school to learn, to be challenged, and to absorb material from those who are supposedly experts in the field. Teachers should share their knowledge with students directly; they should not expect them to pick it up on their own.

I thought this was some kind of concert with the Roots.

The Perils of Eduspeak. Now there's a band name.

liberalogic said:
What made me laugh in that article was "reflection time." Maybe we should call prison the same thing as well.

That reminded me of the essay they had to write in "The Breakfast Club" - 1000 words explaining who we think we are. :laugh:

My daughter's teacher is AWESOME. I can only wish she has more like him in the future. It's funny, each time he explains a term I'm unfamiliar with he rolls his eyes and says "it's just a fancy term for detention" which they call " the work room".

Dear Mrs & Mr.,
This is a quick note to let you know that having Jessica/Joshua in class is oftentimes an exciting experience for both instructor and students. She/he brings a level of energy to our classes which adds much to our days. I am requesting your cooperation in reinforcing appropriate responses on her/his part, expected in the 8th grade, cognizant of her/his limited ability to check her/his impulse reactions.

As discussed previously, we recognize that her/his ability to process present and past material is limited. We are also taking into account her/his limited ability to track the necessary materials required for successful completion of the curriculum. We further perceive your circumscribed dominion in facilitating her/his access to these materials. For that reason we must again ask that she/he not annunciate her/his usual specious elucidations, which tend to confuse both teachers and her/his fellow students.

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this matter, if you need further clarification please feel free to call the office and set an appointment.

Sincerely,
Teacher

PS Jessica/Joshua has once again mislaid her/his math book. She/he asserts to have looked for it everywhere. Tomorrow please send a check for $85 to replace the book.

Translation:

Your child never raises her hand, just shouts out wrong answers, which of course have nothing to do with the topic under discussion. Moreover, they come to class without a pen, paper, or text, (which they've lost). While we have discussed this numerous times, you seem as inept as your child. Please at least tell her to 'shut up' in class, as there are kids that are capable of learning.

I have never sent a note like this, but have been tempted. :laugh: If nothing else, it 'blows off steam, while being mostly incomprehensible.' I do know teachers that do this. :spank3:

A little girl at a school where I atteneded 4th and 5th grade stole money from her father and brought a group of us to the store and bought toys and junk.

Parents found out, called the principal who sent notes home to the parents of the children who recieved illegal contriban stating that "your child has been involved in a break & enter in the neighbourhood". What an arse.

I should also mention contriban included one peice of gum or candy, it wasn't just us girls who accompanied the theif to the store. What a total jackoff.

Said1 said:
A little girl at a school where I atteneded 4th and 5th grade stole money from her father and brought a group of us to the store and bought toys and junk.

Parents found out, called the principal who sent notes home to the parents of the children who recieved illegal contriban stating that "your child has been involved in a break & enter in the neighbourhood". What an arse.

I should also mention contriban included one peice of gum or candy, it wasn't just us girls who accompanied the theif to the store. What a total jackoff.

Wow, today he'd probably get sued! False accusations, etc.

Said1 said:

That criminal past will dog ya forever too. :poke:

dilloduck said:
That criminal past will dog ya forever too. :poke:

I was innocent, we didn't know she stole it. She said it was her allowance and I even told my mother how cheap she was since I didn't have one that big. The she got busted. :laugh:

Said1 said:
You can imagine my mother. :laugh:

First response = WTF? :wtf:

Followed by wrath, not directed at me though. :halo:
I would have had a fit! Now then, I happened to have the 'ringleader' as my child. :coffee3: :laugh: He's studing criminal justice now though! :teeth:

Kathianne said:
I would have had a fit! Now then, I happened to have the 'ringleader' as my child. :coffee3: :laugh: He's studing criminal justice now though! :teeth:

She was more offended by the B&E comment, still raves about it today.

I'm glad your son turned over a new leaf, at least he'll understand the ciminal mind. :laugh:

Said1 said:
She was more offended by the B&E comment, still raves about it today.

I'm glad your son turned over a new leaf, at least he'll understand the ciminal mind. :laugh:
Seriously, no joke! How I got him from there to here is a wonder. He's by far and away the straitest of the 3. Go figure. I've worked hard to help the kids make it and been very lucky! All of them doing well, on the paths they chose.

Schools and teachers, whether English speaking or gibberish speaking, have very limited influence on our kids. TG!

Said1 said:
I was innocent, we didn't know she stole it. She said it was her allowance and I even told my mother how cheap she was since I didn't have one that big. The she got busted. :laugh:

Hopefully the school put you in " Seminar--Is theft merely distribution of wealth or a crime? " and "Social Choices- Responsibility or Popularity" :laugh:

:thup:
Kathianne said:
Dear Mrs & Mr.,
This is a quick note to let you know that having Jessica/Joshua in class is oftentimes an exciting experience for both instructor and students. She/he brings a level of energy to our classes which adds much to our days. I am requesting your cooperation in reinforcing appropriate responses on her/his part, expected in the 8th grade, cognizant of her/his limited ability to check her/his impulse reactions.

As discussed previously, we recognize that her/his ability to process present and past material is limited. We are also taking into account her/his limited ability to track the necessary materials required for successful completion of the curriculum. We further perceive your circumscribed dominion in facilitating her/his access to these materials. For that reason we must again ask that she/he not annunciate her/his usual specious elucidations, which tend to confuse both teachers and her/his fellow students.

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this matter, if you need further clarification please feel free to call the office and set an appointment.

Sincerely,
Teacher

PS Jessica/Joshua has once again mislaid her/his math book. She/he asserts to have looked for it everywhere. Tomorrow please send a check for $85 to replace the book.

Translation:

Your child never raises her hand, just shouts out wrong answers, which of course have nothing to do with the topic under discussion. Moreover, they come to class without a pen, paper, or text, (which they've lost). While we have discussed this numerous times, you seem as inept as your child. Please at least tell her to 'shut up' in class, as there are kids that are capable of learning.

I have never sent a note like this, but have been tempted. :laugh: If nothing else, it 'blows off steam, while being mostly incomprehensible.' I do know teachers that do this. :spank3:

I knew it, your just like all the rest!

First of all expecting a child to raise his/her hand is deciminatory against all the other children. This would allow INDIVIDUAL attention whicj as you know is inappropriate. :thup:

I'm appalled at the idea that you would suggest the spanking of an unruly child. That hurts a child and causes psychological problems. They might start following instructions and that would break their free spirit. :spank3:

Lastly however is your intention to want to hurt the parents feelings. We all know that it is solely YOUR job to educate our fat, lazy and underacheiving kids. I bet you don't allow Gameboys, handheld computers or malingering in your class either. What a drag you must be!!!!!!!!!!! :fu2:

Emmett said:
:thup:

I knew it, your just like all the rest!

First of all expecting a child to raise his/her hand is deciminatory against all the other children. This would allow INDIVIDUAL attention whicj as you know is inappropriate. :thup:

I'm appalled at the idea that you would suggest the spanking of an unruly child. That hurts a child and causes psychological problems. They might start following instructions and that would break their free spirit. :spank3:

Lastly however is your intention to want to hurt the parents feelings. We all know that it is solely YOUR job to educate our fat, lazy and underacheiving kids. I bet you don't allow Gameboys, handheld computers or malingering in your class either. What a drag you must be!!!!!!!!!!! :fu2:
In a few more weeks, I may work on one of these!

liberalogic said:
You have all the right to be angry and you should be even angrier because this trend seems like it will only gain momentum and should hit its apex by the time your child hits high school.

I had a Biology teacher my Freshman year in HS who used to call HW "Success Assignments." He was the head of the Science department in the school (he had been working there close to 40 years) and a few years before him, he became "enlightened" by the new wave of education. He NEVER (and I mean not once) lectured about the principles of bio...he once picked up a piece of chalk and jokingly said, "What am I doing with this?" All we did were labs (which he would not help us with) and take tests that were straight from hell. He believed he was only there to "facilitate" our learning, rather than guide us. Needless to say, I suck at bio.

The point of that story is that we are seeing a new wave of liberal teaching methods that emphasize the "freedom" of the student and push the teacher to the background. What made me laugh in that article was "reflection time." Maybe we should call prison the same thing as well. You need to be held accountable for your actions early on in life. Part of being an American (or a Canadian like yourself) is that there are actions and CONSEQUENCES-- you act properly to avoid those consequences because they are not too glamorous.

And on the educational side of this philosophy, we see teachers stepping back more and more (ie- my biology teacher and "silent reading"). There is a time for teachers to step back-- it's called homework. We come to school to learn, to be challenged, and to absorb material from those who are supposedly experts in the field. Teachers should share their knowledge with students directly; they should not expect them to pick it up on their own.

Yes. And at the same time they're pushing for smaller mandated class sizes! So they can not help fewer kids. :wtf:

Forum List

Back