The Romans killed Jesus Christ not the Jews

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Mortimer, Jan 6, 2020.

1. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,301
    From Matthew 27
    "15 Now at the feast the governor was accustomed to releasing to the multitude one prisoner whom they wished. 16 And at that time they had a notorious prisoner called Barabbas. 17 Therefore, when they had gathered together, Pilate said to them, “Whom do you want me to release to you? Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” 18 For he knew that they had handed Him over because of envy."

"20 But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitudes that they should ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus. 21 The governor answered and said to them, “Which of the two do you want me to release to you?”
    They said, “Barabbas!”"

2. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,660
    you got something to suggest that this "custom" actually existed?------somehow everyone else FORGOT? ------who were the "chief priest and elders"?
    "envy" of what? "they had handed him over"? who "handed" him over?
    sadly you are brainwashed. The entire passage makes no sense

3. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,301
    I am not a Christian. I even said that the existence of Jesus is only speculation.

4. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,660
    oh----well---even I believe that some person called "jesus" existed. Yeshua
    was a VERY VERY common name back then ------and lots of girls were mary and
    lots of boys were Joseph------_AND there were lots of people who were sorta
    politically ACTIVE and tens of thousands of Pharisee jews were crucified----and
    there was a HEROD and a CAIAPHAS. -----there were even lots of sects of this and that here and there. My issue is the Mathew stuff. He is a kind of unknown guy--------who was something like an apologist for the Christian sect.
    Lots of his writing seems really OFF the wall based on the known history of those
    times. I have spoken to many believing Christians and found their GRASP of
    the life and times of a "jesus" back then-----to be really uninformed

5. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    they were the ones, descendants that drove the nails the jews gave them ... pilate was the exception. 1st century liberation theology, what else could it have been, smothered eventually by both.

6. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,660
    sheeeeesh------the jews had to buy their own nails? -----like the Chinese have to
    pay for the bullet?

7. SSDD

SSDD Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,287
    You are looking at a short term trend...the 60's and 70's were cooler than the present so if your life goes back that far, then it is milder now than it was during your childhood...the 60's and 70's however, were much cooler than the 20's and 30's...which, in fact, were warmer than the present. Looking at climate on a short term basis is a sure fire technique to be wrong.

Tell me...do you enjoy questioning, or deriding people's faith in God? I ask, because I don't think you do. We humans act out of two basic emotions....we act because a thing gives us pleasure, or we act out of fear....every other emotion or motive derives from either pleasure or fear

Only a sociopath would actually enjoy the act of breaking someone's faith and you don't strike me as a sociopath...you are far to disorganized in your thinking. So the only other reason for you to hold the opinions you do regarding religion, and speak as you do is fear. You believe in God, but hope desperately that he doesn't exist. That is the case with most who claim to be atheists if they are able to be completely honest with themselves. They don't believe they are worthy of being rescued from the curse for any of a million reasons and they are angry about that. Of course, it isn't true. We can be rescued at any time. All we have to do is believe and say thank you. Anger is a difficult emotion to control...and till one closely examines the source of anger, it is never far away, which is what keeps atheists mad...it is a constant internal battle...belief and thinking that you aren't worthy of being rescued vs fear and the fervent hope that there is no God.

You don't have to be afraid. None of us are worthy of being rescued but it doesn't matter. That is what the great plan was all about...to provide a means of rescue for us even though none of us are deserving.

8. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    - have you mentioned to your doctor about your selective amnesia ... they provided the nails, pilate used them for his notation.

no, no one showed up in his defense - jewish treachery not the romans were their concern.

9. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,660
    are you using the term "notation" as a legal lingo term?

10. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,660
    it is certainly true that the romans were concerned with that which they
    considered jewish treachery-----like the overturning of the tables of the
    moneychangers