The role of the U.N.

LibertyForAll

Nov 3, 2011
St. Louis, Mo
Should the U.N. be able to issue resolutions that require supporting legislation to be passed in its members countries? This has come up recently concerning a free speech and voting and several issues that I am just beginning to research. It struck me though that resolutions that mandate new legislation are violating the sovereignty of its member states. This puts the U.N. in the position of a Federal government and its member countries are relegated to state status and if you read a lot of the resolutions countries are even referred to as states. There is a good mix of political ideologies on this board so I was wondering what the various political factions take on this would be.

I think if we put the United Nations in charge of us, it would end up being no different than the callous treatment the colonists received at the hands of their European King masters. King George couldn't be bothered to listen to and respond to American needs. That happens when one accepts too centralized a power and turns over responsibility for human need to someone who frankly my dear, doesn't give a damn.

Should the U.N. be able to issue resolutions that require supporting legislation to be passed in its members countries? This has come up recently concerning a free speech and voting and several issues that I am just beginning to research. It struck me though that resolutions that mandate new legislation are violating the sovereignty of its member states. This puts the U.N. in the position of a Federal government and its member countries are relegated to state status and if you read a lot of the resolutions countries are even referred to as states. There is a good mix of political ideologies on this board so I was wondering what the various political factions take on this would be.

The UN doesn't have authority to do jack shit. Any country that complies with UN mandates is utterly foolish.

‘State’ in this context doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Otherwise, this is a non-issue, don’t worry about it.

The fact is that most countries comply and ours is one of them. U.N. resolution 1373 effectively called on every country to pass stricter laws on terrorism. It was passed on 9/28/01. The U.S. signed the patriot act into law on 10/26/01. Sometime later all 192 countries had report compliance, The mandate in this resolution is pretty far reaching and disturbing to me. Not that I am against catching terrorists but the fact that the U.N. can issue this resolution and then a in a little over a month we have one of the most controversial laws in U.S. history is passed is mind boggling to me.

Forum List

Back