The Role of Govt: To work on our behalf; NOT to work "for us".

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bucs90, Apr 18, 2012.

1. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    I had a wonderful conversation with a former coworker today. Haven't heard from him in a while. We worked on a police patrol team together years ago in ATL. But...he's still in the job, I'm not. He stressed how frustrated he is that the last 5-10 years, cops are being called to discipline 10 year olds, get them off their Xboxes, tell neighbors to get their dog to stop barking, people calling cops literally to ask them to take their trash out because it's too hot or cold out. He made the quote of the century for me: "They gotta realize, we dont work FOR THEM, we work on their behalf...."

To the point, the convo kept going. His point? Govt works on our behalf. Not "FOR" us. In his point.....cops are there so we dont have to be vigilantes. So we dont have to chase down people who robbed, raped, stole from us. Or killed a loved one. Firemen do their job so we dont have to burn to death putting out our own fires. But they arent here to do shit that WE SHOULD BE DOING FOR OURSELVES.

And it hit me. I finally have a clear opinion on the role govt should have. We all pitch into a pot to provide men and women who work ON OUR BEHALF, not as our servants.

There are things in life govt should NOT be doing for us. That we should be doing on our own, not asking the govt to provide us with a "public servant" to do it for us.

So, for example:

- Cops SHOULD be called to catch those who stole something from us.
    - Cops should NOT be called because the neighbors do it barking.

- Govt SHOULD be called when a bridge is about to collapse.
    - Govt should NOT be called when we want a new park or cultural arts center.

- Firemen/EMS SHOULD be called when someones house is burning.
    - Firemen/EMS should NOT be called when someone has a headache and wants free medication (happens all the time).

- Govt SHOULD be called when an elder woman is malnourished, abused and about to die of starvation.
    - Govt should NOT be called when a younger woman wants free birth control pills.
    - Govt should NOT be called when a person wants to sit at home, not work, while perfectly healthy, but still wants free money and food.

- Cops SHOULD be called when a suspicious man carrying a gun is near a school.
    - Cops should NOT be called when a 2nd grader is acting "out of control" and none of the school staff feels like dealing with it.

I can go on and on. But it's clear to me. Government should ONLY be there to work on our behalf in situations where it is reasonable that the individual should not carry that burden alone, and the community would reasonably pitch in to solve the problem as a whole. Government should NOT be used or called on for stuff people should do themselves, as individuals, instead of demanding a government service or servant do it for them.

2. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    And the govt is NOT intended for you to run to when:

- You are mad that McD's is out of chicken nuggets
    - You are mad that your 12 year old wont get out of bed to go to school
    - You want a worry free, artistic career rather than a real job, but need healthcare
    - You are mad that other people drive cars that burn alot of gas
    - You are mad that other people are richer than you

3. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Rightist idiocy, both are perfectly appropriate.

More idiocy, no one ever said it should.

It is perfectly appropriate, however, for government to act in its regulatory capacity concerning issues of fair and consistent compensation, such as an employer paying for health insurance premiums.

It’s the rightwing idiocy trifecta – again, no one ever said it should; it’s also perfectly appropriate for government to provide assistance to those in need. Those who are work-ready are required to seek employment as a condition of ongoing eligibility. Currently, with regard to states with high unemployment rates, a waiver for the food stamp program’s work requirement is in effect for those states, to be ended when unemployment drops below a certain level.

Your other ‘points’ are gross overgeneralizations, exhibiting your ignorance of basic public policy and sound principles of governance.

4. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,618
    Wow.

Just...wow.

Gimme, gimme, gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it.

5. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210

So you think it is the governments role to build a park in a neighborhood? The people can't do that themselves?

So you say no one has ever run to the govt to demand their birth control be paid for..........just weeks after a woman whined in front of the Federal Govt that she shouldnt have to pay for her own birth control?

And...you say no one on welfare is abusing it, that they are all trying as hard as they can to get and keep a FORTY HOUR A WEEK JOB?? Because I know for a fact, in fact a friend of mine who owns a gas station proves it, that he has about 15 clerks on payroll, despite needing about 8, because they all refuse to work full-time because too many hours would eliminate their welfare, but too few wont meet their requirement, so they only want 1 or 2 shifts a week.

Yep, thats fair right?

It's not appropriate for govt to provide for those in "need". We ALL are in need, and most of us get off our asses, live within our means and provide for our own needs.

Govt should provide for those in CRISIS. Not in "need", and ABSOLUTELY not just for those in "WANT".

6. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Seems to be a pointless distinction since it does neither, and is, in fact, incapable of doing either.

7. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    I disagree a bit.

I think the military does a great job of protecting us from foreign enemies.
    I think the police do a pretty good job of protecting us domestically, and firemen do a great job in assisting with that.
    Our roads may suck a lot of times, but they are driveable and bridges rarely collapse.

Those are all things we as a people do better as a collective group.

The rest? We can, and SHOULD, do as individuals for ourselves, or......God forbid, this is a foreign concept for liberals: To do it FOR OUR NEIGHBOR out of good will.

8. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    How exactly does building a public park not fall into this category?

9. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210

Lots of kids beg to go to the McDonalds playground or the theme parks. Not the shitty government public parks which are usually empty except for hookers and drug dealers.

The governments sole purpose is to protect it's people from threats. Armed threats, and yes, threats like bad food, weather disasters, etc.

Their job is not to beautify a street or build playgrounds. Those are nice and all. But thats our job, not theirs. Unfortunately, we've become so comfortable with Big Daddy Govt that we get confused when someone says something is NOT the gov'ts job.

10. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,064
    So sidewalks aren't a Government concern?

Should we liquidate Yellowstone? Yosemite? The Grand Canyon?