The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame?

Who votes on who is nominated or elected into the HOF and what criteria do they use? There are some artists who made it big financially on shitty music and some who make great music but never made it big.

Let's just say fans are not allowed to vote. :) Whoo does that leave?

I don't think I first heard the song when I was 14...given the series of events going on in my life when I DID first hear it... I'm going to see if I can find an earlier release.

EDIT: Maybe it was that late.. Weird. The place I remember hearing it for the first time is not a place I associate with my teenage years...and I certainly don't remember seeing any disco bars in the mid-80's.

there was no Grandmaster Flash in the 70's

Sure there was.

Flash played parties and also worked with rappers such as Kurtis Blow and Lovebug Starski. He formed his own group in the late 1970s,

Grandmaster Flash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sure he might have played at parties and clubs,but when was his first recordings?......thats when the rest of the country find out about you,and as such there was no GMF for everyone out side of his home area.....and the 2 guys you mentioned never recorded in the 70's either.....1980 is the earliest....

Just more proof that anything can be skewed any way the person wants it..

If you want a different outcome, simply start your own version of said hall of fame, and call it something else... I certainly con't think Neil Young should be in there, but that's my personal preference, since the man had zero impact on me, and IMO, made pretty sucky music.

Dis.....they MOSTLY get elected to the hall,because of their effect and INFLUENCE on ROCK AND ROLL,and their contributions to said music.....and that said, Neil Young,whether you or i like him or not,has contributed a lot of music AND influenced many....and most definitely should be in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame.....GM.Flash....THAT is another story....

the bigger shame is electing a HIP HOPPER over so many others.....

except that hip hop is what the people who buy music listen to now. so their influence is pretty huge.

Jill.....its called the ROCK N ROLL hall of fame.....if hip hop had something to do with the formation of rock ( like R& B and the BLUES DID) then it would not be a big deal.....but it had nothing to do with it .....if they want to include HIP HOP and RAP,and other music that has NOTHING to do with R N R...then call it the MUSIC HALL OF FAME...
like i said before.....if they do a HIP HOP hall....lets see if they induct the Beatles or Elvis...they would say WTF.....this is a HIP HOP hall....

ok what do guys think of this place......it is becoming IMO,the hall of SHAME.....there are many who deserve to be there who are not and a bunch who got in before their time,also before the ones who are still waiting......also GRANDMASTER FLASH?......WTF!!!.....

THOUGHTS COMMENTS?.....RANTS....GRIPES AND SWIPES....

The whole idea is totally retarded, IMO.

btw: My boy Ian Anderson has stated publicly that Jethro Tull would decline induction were it ever to be offered. Whatever your opinion of Tull, you gotta respect that. :cool:

Sitting on a park bench eyeing little girls with bad intent. Snot running down his nose greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes. ...

I don't think I first heard the song when I was 14...given the series of events going on in my life when I DID first hear it... I'm going to see if I can find an earlier release.

EDIT: Maybe it was that late.. Weird. The place I remember hearing it for the first time is not a place I associate with my teenage years...and I certainly don't remember seeing any disco bars in the mid-80's.

Sure there was.

Flash played parties and also worked with rappers such as Kurtis Blow and Lovebug Starski. He formed his own group in the late 1970s,

Nobody I knew heard of them in the 70s. I heard of both in the 80s and tried to pretend they didn't really exist. Their music sucked.

ok what do guys think of this place......it is becoming IMO,the hall of SHAME.....there are many who deserve to be there who are not and a bunch who got in before their time,also before the ones who are still waiting......also GRANDMASTER FLASH?......WTF!!!.....

THOUGHTS COMMENTS?.....RANTS....GRIPES AND SWIPES....

The whole idea is totally retarded, IMO.

btw: My boy Ian Anderson has stated publicly that Jethro Tull would decline induction were it ever to be offered. Whatever your opinion of Tull, you gotta respect that. :cool:

i fully understand why.....the place sucks.....

heres an interesting page to visit,that deals with this topic......

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame of the Future - News, Analysis, Voting & More - Future Rock Legends

What's wrong with Grandmaster Flash? White Lines was one of the best songs of the 70's. :cool:

Never heard of him nor the song. I'm sure you have tho, being as you wore diapers the first half of the 70s.:eusa_whistle:

Pfft. I was out of diapers before 1971, and if they were put on as a "safety measure" for a long trip, at that point, I simply removed them myself. :eusa_angel:

Sure there was.

Nobody I knew heard of them in the 70s. I heard of both in the 80s and tried to pretend they didn't really exist. Their music sucked.

simply said they *existed* in the 70's, since someone else said they did not. I'm still pretty sure I heard White Lines when I was 9 or 10...not 15 or 16. The times and events just don't mesh. But hey..

simply said they *existed* in the 70's, since someone else said they did not. I'm still pretty sure I heard White Lines when I was 9 or 10...not 15 or 16. The times and events just don't mesh. But hey..

Playing literalist semantics to try and support your argument does not suit you. The point is not in their existence; rather, in their existence as national/international/mainstream artists. They were not.

Playing literalist semantics to try and support your argument does not suit you. The point is not in their existence; rather, in their existence as national/international/mainstream artists. They were not.

What? Someone (Dresden, maybe?) said "There was no Grandmaster Flash in the 70's." I said "Yes, there was." That's it. Nobody said they were mainstream anything at that point - just that they didn't exist, which is untrue.

Who is USUALLY out of tune in a song Neil Young is part of?:eusa_whistle:

I'm guessing Neil Young??

I saw Graham Nash interviewed and he told a story about visiting with Neil Young at his house on a lake. Young had hooked up his concert amps to his stereo system with the left channel being at his main house and the right channel being in his barn. He and Nash were out in a boat listening to the set up and when someone asked him how it sounded, he replied "Needs more barn!"

What? Someone (Dresden, maybe?) said "There was no Grandmaster Flash in the 70's." I said "Yes, there was." That's it. Nobody said they were mainstream anything at that point - just that they didn't exist, which is untrue.

you aint shit Dis until you record something that goes nationwide,until then,you are just a local club band....White Lines was released in 1983......

Forum List

Back