The Robert Plant Appreciation Thread

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
I convinced myself that the first vinyl album I ever bought was LZII and I'm gonna stay with that. I played it every single day when I came home from school, it completely blew me away and I've been a fan ever since.

I was most struck by the outright fucking nasty guitar work. Page made the instrument sound like a freight train, or a provocative lover, or a wailing banshee. It's a disk I would love being stuck with on a desert island.

And somehow until recently, I missed Robert Plant. In the days of my youth I thought he was just along for the ride and should have been lucky Page asked him to sing, I mean with Jimmy composing and wailing, anyone could sing along. I was wrong, so very wrong, wronger that Krugman who get it consistently wrong in the trillions column.

Robert composed some of the most beautiful melodies anyone ever sung. Robert covered blues standards in a way no one else ever could. I laugh at the idiots who say LZ stole from Muddy Waters or Leadbelly. If it's so easy, if all you have to do is sing Gallows Pole, why hasn't anyone else done it? Know why? Because no one else has Robert Plant singing it!

Without Robert Plant Led Zep would have been just another decent rock group like 10 Years After or Focus.

"No Quarter" has always been my favorite Zep tune, live and studio. But when they came out with yet another version I was again completely blown away.

Only Robert Plant can sing this.

I convinced myself that the first vinyl album I ever bought was LZII and I'm gonna stay with that. I played it every single day when I came home from school, it completely blew me away and I've been a fan ever since.

I was most struck by the outright fucking nasty guitar work. Page made the instrument sound like a freight train, or a provocative lover, or a wailing banshee. It's a disk I would love being stuck with on a desert island.

And somehow until recently, I missed Robert Plant. In the days of my youth I thought he was just along for the ride and should have been lucky Page asked him to sing, I mean with Jimmy composing and wailing, anyone could sing along. I was wrong, so very wrong, wronger that Krugman who get it consistently wrong in the trillions column.

Robert composed some of the most beautiful melodies anyone ever sung. Robert covered blues standards in a way no one else ever could. I laugh at the idiots who say LZ stole from Muddy Waters or Leadbelly. If it's so easy, if all you have to do is sing Gallows Pole, why hasn't anyone else done it? Know why? Because no one else has Robert Plant singing it!

Without Robert Plant Led Zep would have been just another decent rock group like 10 Years After or Focus.

if it wasnt true Frank, Willie Dixon would have never received that nice big check with those 7 figures back when....

"TYA or Focus"?? Really?

Jimmy Page couldn't hold Alvin Lee's jock.
Of course Lee had an advantage -- he could play actual notes.

I just heard a new song from him the other day. I don't know the title, but it was awesome. Really fresh. Very impressive.

"TYA or Focus"?? Really?

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I saw Ten Years After at the Georgia Tech Coliseum back in the early 70's. Alvin Lee was fabulous. There are very few artists who sound as good live as they do on vinyl. He's one of them. And The Who are another.

"TYA or Focus"?? Really?

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I saw Ten Years After at the Georgia Tech Coliseum back in the early 70's. Alvin Lee was fabulous. There are very few artists who sound as good live as they do on vinyl. He's one of them. And The Who are another.
some come off better live....

I think Zep was my second or third album purchase. Their fourth, with Stairway to Heaven (yes I still like that song).

Done seed 'em in concert in the 70's.

STILL GOT THE TICKET STUB :thup:

"TYA or Focus"?? Really?

ALIVN LEE was very fast
he also was very sloppy.

this sums it up

My wife and I were leaving a Page/Plant concert in 95

a somewhat wasted 20 something looked right at us and said

I USED THINK ERIC (Clapton) WAS GOD
I WAS WRONG-JIMMY PAGE IS GOD!!!

absolutely right my wife said

I saw lots of the top guitarists

Johnny Ramone
Jimmy Page
Martin Barre