the rnc

gop_jeff said:
You are wrong. The majority of GOP reps oppose renewing the Clinton gun ban. The majority of GOP members are pro-gun rights, and would gladly repael many, if not all gun laws. But I'd like you to define what makes a gun law unconstitutional. Are laws regarding the sale of firearms unconstitutional? What about laws regarding the transportation of guns from manufacturer to wholesale to retail? Mind you, I am an NRA member and a strong supporter of gun rights, so please don't start in on the "you hate guns" routine.

They are unconstitutional because of the phrase 'shall not be infringed'. If most of the GOP is against these gun laws, tell me how many they have attempted to repeal in the last 4 years?

Travis

tpahl said:
They are unconstitutional because of the phrase 'shall not be infringed'. If most of the GOP is against these gun laws, tell me how many they have attempted to repeal in the last 4 years?

Travis

Shall not be infringed...

First, I'd like to know where you come up with your 20,000 unconstitutional gun laws figure.
I will research the gun law repeal question.

gop_jeff said:
Shall not be infringed...

First, I'd like to know where you come up with your 20,000 unconstitutional gun laws figure.
I will research the gun law repeal question.

I apologize. I had never reaserched that number myself but upon further investigation see that it is greatly exagerated. The actual number is 300 state laws + federal + local. And the local number is dropping because states are prohibiting local governments to pass individual laws concerning guns.

source: http://www.brookings.edu/dybdocroot/es/urban/publications/gunbook4.pdf

But whether the number is 300 or 20,000, my point remains the same. The GOP has done nothing to overturn ANY of these laws even though they have controlled both the legislative and executive branches.

Travis

It looks like the 300 laws are primarily state laws, and I know that state legislatures have been working to pass right-to carry laws across the Midwest. At the state level, at least, the GOP has been successful in turning back gun control - and frankly, that's where the battles are to be won.
I suppose I'd have to search the federal code to see how many gun laws are on the books that Congress could change.

tpahl said:
I just heard Ben Stien on the Eric Snow show. Stein considers himself a conservative it appears.

Stein wrote speeches for Ford and Reagan and is a long time GOP supporter.

gop_jeff said:
It looks like the 300 laws are primarily state laws, and I know that state legislatures have been working to pass right-to carry laws across the Midwest. At the state level, at least, the GOP has been successful in turning back gun control - and frankly, that's where the battles are to be won.
I suppose I'd have to search the federal code to see how many gun laws are on the books that Congress could change.

The author of that article with the 300, basically stopped his research after he came up with only 300 at the state level because he knew there was not going to be 19,700 federal laws, but there are still plenty of federal laws that the GOP congress should be working on. Especially since safety and security are such an important issue right now, you would think that they would be working to get rid of the gun restrictions.

As for right to carry laws, they are better than no rght to carry laws, but still not ideal. What should be done is the laws taking those rights away to begin with should be repealed. You should not have to get a permit from the state to exercise a right. Vermont (and I beleive Alaska now) are the two states that do not have a law saying you have to get a permit to exercise your 2nd amendment right to carry a gun concealed. I would much rather see state legislatures repealing laws, not creating new laws even if the new laws give us the ability to carry a concealed weapon. With the state giving permits, it will be abused.

Travis

tpahl said:
The author of that article with the 300, basically stopped his research after he came up with only 300 at the state level because he knew there was not going to be 19,700 federal laws, but there are still plenty of federal laws that the GOP congress should be working on. Especially since safety and security are such an important issue right now, you would think that they would be working to get rid of the gun restrictions.

As for right to carry laws, they are better than no rght to carry laws, but still not ideal. What should be done is the laws taking those rights away to begin with should be repealed. You should not have to get a permit from the state to exercise a right. Vermont (and I beleive Alaska now) are the two states that do not have a law saying you have to get a permit to exercise your 2nd amendment right to carry a gun concealed. I would much rather see state legislatures repealing laws, not creating new laws even if the new laws give us the ability to carry a concealed weapon. With the state giving permits, it will be abused.

Travis

I understand your concern; however, most of the right-to-carry laws basically say that unless you are a felon, all you need is $30 for a concealed carry permit. The government can't arbitrarilly tell you that no, you can't have a CCP.

gop_jeff said:
I understand your concern; however, most of the right-to-carry laws basically say that unless you are a felon, all you need is $30 for a concealed carry permit. The government can't arbitrarilly tell you that no, you can't have a CCP.

I like to always look at laws in terms of how they could be abused by ones enemies, not how they are currently used. Even if a CCP law is not being abused now, it gives the government the power to do so later on down the road. In addition to being denied permits, there are other problems such as having on record who does and does not carry/own a weapon. The government does not need to know this and it could be abused in the future. It could get into non governments hands in the future as well.

There are many many issues that could happen that it is best to avoid altoghether by just not starting down that road.

Travis

Forum List

Back