The Rising Global Middle Class

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
I keep seeing this line of reasoning that companies are using "slave" labor in China. As a generalization, this is dead wrong, though I'm sure someone can find anecdotes and isolated examples of this somewhere in Asia (as you occasionally can here in America).

Well, The Economist has a good piece this week about the rise of the middle class around the world, which, as those who have been paying attention know, has been rising.

CSR690.gif

CSR718.gif

A special report on the new middle classes in emerging markets: Burgeoning bourgeoisie | The Economist

so, are 'we' to be defined by the Asian middle class? Is that the message?

It is the percentage of total, so yes, by definition it includes the rising population.

I've encountered a comparison that accounted for world total in one region and not the other, so I tend to be skeptical at this point. After encountering something so ruthlessly disingenuous, you can never be sure.

As the middle class grows in countries such as China, India, and others, their costs of production will increase as ours have, eventually making us more competetive again. This is where the idea of free trade will help us in the long run, although it has hurt us recently.

businesses required by the gvt to report if one of their workers is pregnant and forcing her to abort her child, is not a form of free labor imo.

Small anecdote. I was in Hong Kong a few years ago and having a beer with a mate who works there and I asked him what possessed Hong Kong to create a Disneyland in HK. I said they've got them in the US and France and japan, why another? Who is going to come to Hong Kong to visit Disney?

He had a big :D on his face and he responded, "the Chinese."

I felt very :redface:

Small anecdote. I was in Hong Kong a few years ago and having a beer with a mate who works there and I asked him what possessed Hong Kong to create a Disneyland in HK. I said they've got them in the US and France and japan, why another? Who is going to come to Hong Kong to visit Disney?

He had a big :D on his face and he responded, "the Chinese."

I felt very :redface:

:lol::lol::lol:

As the middle class grows in countries such as China, India, and others, their costs of production will increase as ours have, eventually making us more competetive again. This is where the idea of free trade will help us in the long run, although it has hurt us recently.

so, for the middle class to grow elsewhere it took the usa to give them their money and jobs via trade?

and this is good? yah yah yah, in the long run, they say..... i don't know what i think about that....?

care

businesses required by the gvt to report if one of their workers is pregnant and forcing her to abort her child, is not a form of free labor imo.

For better or worse, as the middle class grows, historically so have freedoms. So if you like abortion, you'll probably see more of it.

Last edited:
so, are 'we' to be defined by the Asian middle class? Is that the message?

No, of course not.

The message is that the world has grown wealthier, which is a good thing. The more people who make a higher income, the better.

Of course I agree. What effect do you think all this money is going to have on the trend of growing middle class?

For better or worse, as the middle class grows, historically so have freedoms. So if you like abortion, you'll probably see more of it.

annie!!!!!!

for goodness sakes....

THIS IS FORCED ABORTIONS. FORCED...got it? These are women that are FORCED to kill their WANTED child.....

AND WHO THE HELL "LIKES" ABORTIONS....the Chinese women? Me?

SHEESH.....my red rep points almost got thrown at you for this.....BUT I like you and am hoping you were just being a smart ass trying to make some sort of 'cute' political point.

care

Forum List

Back