The rise and rise of Climate Blasphemy

I refuse to play to your ignorance, the source is at the top of the artic graph. Can you not read the graph or is it too painful for you to look at?

So the only link you can provide is to a right wing think tank website?

Here's a quote from that link...

The Southern Oscillation and the solar cycle have significant effects on year-to-year global temperature change. Because both of these natural effects were in their cool phases in 2007, the unusual warmth of 2007 is all the more notable. It is apparent that there is no letup in the steep global warming trend of the past 30 years (see 5-year mean curve in Figure 1a).

"Global warming stopped in 1998," has become a recent mantra of those who wish to deny the reality of human-caused global warming. The continued rapid increase of the five-year running mean temperature exposes this assertion as nonsense. In reality, global temperature jumped two standard deviations above the trend line in 1998 because the "El Niño of the century" coincided with the calendar year, but there has been no lessening of the underlying warming trend.

More graphs from the source you quoted....

Fig1_2007annual.gif

Solar irradiance is at a lowpoint in the solar cycle, so we should see some year to year cooling which we have seen this year(2008), but the overall trend is ever upward. Here's where we are in the solar cycle...

Fig3_irradiance.gif

I live in what is now officially the hottest capital city in Australia (climate wise I mean). We cracked the record for the number of days heatwave in a row in February. 15 consecutive days over 35c/95c. Of itself it means nothing because it's just a statistic and it's the overall climate trends that matter (I'm not educated in these things). But the trends are showing hotter summers for us and what's worse, drier winters. We're buggered when it comes to water. We've been told we have 12 months supply for critical human needs if we don't get a decent rain this winter (it's winter now and it's not wet enough). For us - and for many others in worse shape - global climate change isn't a matter of ideology.

Nice try....but that's not the link re-read the graph...especially considering the graph only goes through 2004

When I typed in the "link" , there is no such link. That is why you can't provide it.

I suspect if there is such a graph on the GISS website, it is related to stratospheric cooling which is a result of greenhouse gases.

No, the data shows the effects of the massive increase in CO2, and the sun adds to it or subtracts from it depending on where we are in the solar cycle.

Thanks for leading me to the GISS website. What a great resource, because it has the temperature data and the sun irradiance data all on the same page.

I live in what is now officially the hottest capital city in Australia (climate wise I mean). We cracked the record for the number of days heatwave in a row in February. 15 consecutive days over 35c/95c. Of itself it means nothing because it's just a statistic and it's the overall climate trends that matter (I'm not educated in these things). But the trends are showing hotter summers for us and what's worse, drier winters. We're buggered when it comes to water. We've been told we have 12 months supply for critical human needs if we don't get a decent rain this winter (it's winter now and it's not wet enough). For us - and for many others in worse shape - global climate change isn't a matter of ideology.

It is for these people. The North Pole has almost melted, and they still don't get it. The rise in CO2 is relentless, and it is increasing at a faster rate as China and India industrialize. Within the next 30 years we will have doubled the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Check out your first graph, why look NO increases since before 2000.

I posted this several posts before from the report....

The Southern Oscillation and the solar cycle have significant effects on year-to-year global temperature change. Because both of these natural effects were in their cool phases in 2007, the unusual warmth of 2007 is all the more notable. It is apparent that there is no letup in the steep global warming trend of the past 30 years (see 5-year mean curve in Figure 1a).

"Global warming stopped in 1998," has become a recent mantra of those who wish to deny the reality of human-caused global warming. The continued rapid increase of the five-year running mean temperature exposes this assertion as nonsense. In reality, global temperature jumped two standard deviations above the trend line in 1998 because the "El Niño of the century" coincided with the calendar year, but there has been no lessening of the underlying warming trend.

I posted this several posts before from the report....

And yet your graph does not show that, imagine that. And once again pretending if you adjust the numbers upward cause of some REAL cooling doesn't prove anything.

It is for these people. The North Pole has almost melted, and they still don't get it. The rise in CO2 is relentless, and it is increasing at a faster rate as China and India industrialize. Within the next 30 years we will have doubled the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Then go bark up their tree. Quite telling American's what to do, when we will be contributing relatively little to the 'problem'. Even if this is a predominantly man made event, the fact that you can't properly focus your ire on the greatest contributors to the 'problem' speak volumes as to your credibility on the issue.

If you are so right, why are your priorities so out of whak?

Last edited:
Then go bark up their tree. Quite telling American's what to do, when we will be contributing relatively little to the 'problem'. Even if this is a predominantly man made event, the fact that you can't properly focus your ire on the greatest contributors to the 'problem' speak volumes as to your credibility on the issue.

If you are so right, why are your priorities so out of whak?

What a bizarre post.

And yet your graph does not show that, imagine that. And once again pretending if you adjust the numbers upward cause of some REAL cooling doesn't prove anything.

No numbers were "adjusted upwards." You are looking at the raw data.

The graph for solar irradiance shows quite clearly that we are in the lowest part of the solar cycle. There is no graph for the El Nino phenomena listed, however.

Forum List

Back