The right to work

Who has a greater right to work?

• Illegal alien union member

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I personally find phrases like 'right to work' a bit asinine, but if you're physically able to work, by all means you have the right to it.

What does that mean?
"...you have the right to it"

In the legal sense it means you have the right to "not join or quit a union" and still keep your job if the workers there are represented employees. You only see that in "Right To Work" states.

On the other hand, in "Closed Shop" states joining a union is a condition of employment if the employees are represented.

But even in "Closed Shop" states it still means you have the right to work anywhere you wish though.

That's why the term "Right To Work" is very misleading.

That's BS. My bil belonged to a carpenter's union in the state of Californiacation. His name was on a roster. The men were put to work if their name came to the top of the roster. He could not go to work in any non union job. He had to wait til the union found him work. Sometimes that took many many months. Meanwhile the dues had to be paid, the groceries bought the children fed and clothed but he had to wait. Unions suck.

The premise of the question in the OP is rediculous.
No, it's not, for reasons I explained in the OP.
As for whether or not Unions care about non-union workers I can only re-post and point to the facts.

Unions benefit all of America’s workers and strengthen our communities.

Unions today:

Reinforce the middle class and lift up America’s communities. States with higher rates of unionization have lower rates of poverty, crime, and failing schools.

Benefit local economic development. In partnerships with employers, community organizations, and local governments, unions have helped revitalize local economies by saving and expanding family-supporting jobs.

Raise wages for all workers. Studies show that a large union presence in an industry or region can raise wages even for non-union workers.

Fight for all workers’ health and safety. In 2008 the AFL-CIO and the United Food and Commercial Workers sued to get employers to provide personal protective equipment. Now, workers in hazardous jobs which require safety gear—like hard hats or protective glasses—must be provided this equipment, instead of being asked to buy it themselves.

Advocate for increases in the minimum wage and push for living wage ordinances. Unions have been instrumental in efforts to increase the federal minimum wage, state minimum wages and in the successful living wage movement which has already resulted in over 150 local living wage laws nationwide.

Reduce wage inequality. Unions raise wages the most for low- and middle-wage workers and workers without college degrees.
canstock4491594.jpg

I guess the only correct answer would be that there's a reason they're called ILLEGAL aliens.

But I'll also say I'm very suspect of anyone who would use a Ronald Reagan quote in their sig line. Isn't he the guy who raised taxes at least 7 times and still managed to send this nation down a path of massive deficits?

The man whose presidency was marked by multiple scandals, resulting in the investigation, indictment, or conviction of over 138 administration officials, the largest number for any US president at the time?

The man whose scandals include Iran-Contra, Department of Housing and Urban Development grant rigging, Lobbying scandal, EPA scandals, Inslaw Affair and Savings & loan crisis?

Reagan was nothing more than a two faced liar yet you think enough of him to emulate him?

Interesting indeed!!

Last edited:
I personally find phrases like 'right to work' a bit asinine, but if you're physically able to work, by all means you have the right to it.

Unless you are a NON union person applying for a job in a "union shop" and do not want to join the union.

I don't agree with that policy, as it does interfere with what I said in my first post. I still find unions to have an important function, even if they aren't serving that function that well anymore.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any actual closed shops in twenty-first century America? Public school teachers is one I know of. Anyone know of any in the private sector?

I guess the only correct answer would be that there's a reason they're called ILLEGAL aliens.

But I'll also say I'm very suspect of anyone who would use a Ronald Reagan quote in their sig line. Isn't he the guy who raised taxes at least 7 times and still managed to send this nation down a path of massive deficits?

The man whose presidency was marked by multiple scandals, resulting in the investigation, indictment, or conviction of over 138 administration officials, the largest number for any US president at the time?

The man whose scandals include Iran-Contra, Department of Housing and Urban Development grant rigging, Lobbying scandal, EPA scandals, Inslaw Affair and Savings & loan crisis?

Reagan was nothing more than a two faced liar yet you think enough of him to emulate him?

Interesting indeed!!
The best thing Reagan did, and what most pissed off the left, was he said it was okay to be proud to be an American again.

Oh, and it's considered good message board etiquette to source your information.

As for whether or not Unions care about non-union workers I can only re-post and point to the facts.

Unions today:

Reinforce the middle class and lift up America’s communities. States with higher rates of unionization have lower rates of poverty, crime, and failing schools.

Benefit local economic development. In partnerships with employers, community organizations, and local governments, unions have helped revitalize local economies by saving and expanding family-supporting jobs.

Raise wages for all workers. Studies show that a large union presence in an industry or region can raise wages even for non-union workers.

Fight for all workers’ health and safety. In 2008 the AFL-CIO and the United Food and Commercial Workers sued to get employers to provide personal protective equipment. Now, workers in hazardous jobs which require safety gear—like hard hats or protective glasses—must be provided this equipment, instead of being asked to buy it themselves.

Advocate for increases in the minimum wage and push for living wage ordinances. Unions have been instrumental in efforts to increase the federal minimum wage, state minimum wages and in the successful living wage movement which has already resulted in over 150 local living wage laws nationwide.

Reduce wage inequality. Unions raise wages the most for low- and middle-wage workers and workers without college degrees.
canstock4491594.jpg

Interesting indeed!!

Idiot! If you want to RANT about REagan start a thread. DUmmie!

Interesting indeed!!
The best thing Reagan did, and what most pissed off the left, was he said it was okay to be proud to be an American again.

Oh, and it's considered good message board etiquette to source your information.

Didn't Michelle Obama get a lot of shit for saying the same thing?

Interesting indeed!!

Only cause it took her sorry ass 45 years!

Interesting indeed!!

Michelle got shit for saying she was finally proud to be American when she was handed something she didn't earn.

Reagan said it was okay to be proud of being an American because America is a great nation.

See the difference?

Union thugs are pretty much lazy,bitter,and hateful. They always play the victim. This country certainly doesn't need more of that. People better wake up an start fighting this stuff. The Government-sector Unionizing is a very disturbing prospect. They could shut down our entire nation anytime they choose. This is their regular routine in Western Europe. Less Unions not more is the answer.

canstock4491594.jpg

Interesting indeed!!

Idiot! If you want to RANT about REagan start a thread. DUmmie!

Gladly. As soon as you learn to spell and use caps. :lol:

Interesting indeed!!

Ok. Will do. But I noticed you couldn't dispute the facts.

And please show me a President who said it WASN'T okay to be proud to be an American? And link it please.

(If you can't do it an admission of error will suffice.)

Interesting indeed!!

Start a Reagan thread if you want to hate on him.
And please show me a President who said it WASN'T okay to be proud to be an American? And link it please.

Obama, for one. Perhaps you missed his "America Sucks!" World Apology Tour.

View Poll Results: Who has a greater right to work?
American non-union member
ba1614, boedicca, daveman, Ernie S., Granny, iamwhatiseem, kyzr, LibocalypseNow, RetiredGySgt, Rozman, syrenn, WillowTree
12 100.00%
Illegal alien union member 0 0%

Hmmm...why haven't you voted, Goose?

Start a Reagan thread if you want to hate on him.

Obama, for one. Perhaps you missed his "America Sucks!" World Apology Tour.

Yeah, that's probably what I'd say too if I couldn't defend him. Ok, I'll stop telling the truth about Reagan and save it for another thread. :eusa_whistle:

So President Obama actually said, "America Sucks" and/or " It WASN'T okay to be proud to be an American"? :confused:

I'm sure you can show me links on those :2up: or admit that's not the case. :eusa_liar:

ba1614, boedicca, daveman, Ernie S., Granny, iamwhatiseem, kyzr, LibocalypseNow, RetiredGySgt, Rozman, syrenn, WillowTree
12 100.00%

Because you failed to ask in what nation.

If you're referring to the U.S. perhaps you missed my earlier post where I opined, "I guess the only correct answer would be that there's a reason they're called ILLEGAL aliens".

But is there an issue with this?

12 100.00%

Because you failed to ask in what nation.
Really?
On another thread, I asked a leftist union drone:

Who has a greater right to work -- an American non-union member, or an illegal alien union member?
Yep, you're a union member, all right.
If you're referring to the U.S. perhaps you missed my earlier post where I opined, "I guess the only correct answer would be that there's a reason they're called ILLEGAL aliens".

But is there an issue with this?
Given your hatred of scabs, I expect you'd rather see an illegal alien union member with a job and the American non-union member unemployed.

So vote.

Last edited:

Interesting indeed!!

i think the difference here was Ronnie was kinda saying it for everyone....while Michelle was talking about herself....

Not all laws are the same in all states. KY is not a right to work state however I woked 3 jobs in union shops and never joined the union.
Any KY is not a "right to work" state.
Talk about a misnamed law.
Workers lose far more rights than they gain when right to work legislation is passed.

Unions today:

They also demand outrageous wages that drive companies overseas, take the steel industry. Illegal immigrants do not deserve any benefit from this country because they are ILLEGAL!!! Pretty easy answer actually.

Forum List

Back