The Right To Lie to the Cops

If a cop obstructs justice then let him be charged with such. Whether or not some cops have behaved wrongly in other cases does not justify Casey Anthony obstructing justice. Gawd, you'd think that's OBVIOUS...

Besides lying by cops isn't necessarily obstruction of justice, it's usually an investigative tool. Who doesn't know you don't have to say a thing? That's been a fact of life on every cop show since the 60s. We don't have to talk, but that hardly precludes the cops from tricking you into talking.

If a cop obstructs justice then let him be charged with such. Whether or not some cops have behaved wrongly in other cases does not justify Casey Anthony obstructing justice. Gawd, you'd think that's OBVIOUS...

Besides lying by cops isn't necessarily obstruction of justice, it's usually an investigative tool. Who doesn't know you don't have to say a thing? That's been a fact of life on every cop show since the 60s. We don't have to talk, but that hardly precludes the cops from tricking you into talking.

Right, which is why I said "if a cop obstructs justice" rather than "if a cop lies"...

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you that the right is resorting to deceitful, despicable and reprehensible tactics.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you that the government is resorting to deceitful, despicable and reprehensible tactics.

What I'm shocked at are asshat's using the death of a child to bitch about not having the "Right" to lie to the Police in the investigation of a murder or should we just accept the belief that its OK to do that. Seriously lying as a "Right" WTF?

Obstruction of Justice...

Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: ob·struc·tion of justice
Pronunciation: &b-'str&k-sh&n-

: the crime or act of willfully interfering with the process of justice and law esp. by influencing, threatening, harming, or impeding a witness, potential witness, juror, or judicial or legal officer or by furnishing false information in or otherwise impeding an investigation or legal process obstruction of justice led to a more severe sentence>

Obstruction of justice | Define Obstruction of justice at Dictionary.com

So when the cops lie to suspects is that obstruction?

I am pretty it is not. That would end undercover cops. I am in agreement with you basically on the issue, but the way to do it is remain silent. However when Susan McDougal remained silent, they sent her to prison. Catch 22.:eusa_angel:

Yes, indeed.

We must demand that the laws be changed.

"During the grand jury, McDougal stated her full name "for the record", then refused to answer any questions. In her book, McDougal explained that "I feared being accused of perjury if I told the grand jury the truth. The OIC had accepted David Hale's lies as the truth. They were also now relying on Jim McDougal's lies, which they'd carefully helped him construct. If I came in and directly contradicted those two -- whose testimony had been used to convict me of four felonies -- I feared the OIC would next accuse me of perjury." She also writes that she feared the same fate as Julie Hiatt Steele[8] who had contradicted the testimony of White House aide Kathleen Willey: "Simply telling the truth cost Steele everything she had, almost landed her in jail [for perjury], and jeopardized her custody of her adopted son." "

You have the Right to Remain Silent. So far as I'm concerned the moment you choose to ignore that, you should be expected to tell the truth. Then again I'm in favor of modifying the First Amendment to remove lying or speaking falsehoods of any sort from the protections of the Amendment.

During the grand jury, [Susan]McDougal stated her full name "for the record", then refused to answer any questions.

From September 9, 1996 until March 6, 1998, McDougal spent the maximum possible 18 months imprisonment for civil contempt, including 8 months in solitary confinement, and subjected to "diesel therapy," the practice of hauling defendants around the country and placing them in different jails along the way.[12

Forum List

Back