The Right To Lie to the Cops

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Aug 16, 2009
Adjuntas, PR , USA

by Anthony Gregory

Recently by Anthony Gregory: Libertarian Strategy and Principle: A Long-Term View

In Casey Anthony’s case we see an example of a grave injustice in the modern system. I’m not talking about her acquittal. When the prosecutor fails to prove someone’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, the only responsible thing for the jury to do is refuse to damn the suspect to time in a cage. An innocent person imprisoned is so much worse than a guilty person let go, as in the former instance the state seduces all of society to cheer on and legitimize an injustice. Also, whereas justice for the guilty is at least a metaphysical possibility outside of prison, it is downright precluded institutionally for the innocent on the inside.

The actual travesty here is the offense of which Casey Anthony has been convicted: four counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer. This should not be an offense in a free society, and I am struck by how little this horror has gained attention in the last week.

Lying in most circumstances is immoral. And lying to cover up one’s crimes might be especially egregious, and arguably criminal in itself. But Casey Anthony was acquitted of the actual crime of murder. As far as the state is concerned, she has not been proven guilty. So why is her dishonesty with the police an offense against the law?

The Right to Lie to the Cops by Anthony Gregory

Obstruction of Justice...

Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: ob·struc·tion of justice
Pronunciation: &b-'str&k-sh&n-

: the crime or act of willfully interfering with the process of justice and law esp. by influencing, threatening, harming, or impeding a witness, potential witness, juror, or judicial or legal officer or by furnishing false information in or otherwise impeding an investigation or legal process obstruction of justice led to a more severe sentence>

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obstruction+of+justice

Last edited:

by Anthony Gregory

Recently by Anthony Gregory: Libertarian Strategy and Principle: A Long-Term View

In Casey Anthony’s case we see an example of a grave injustice in the modern system. I’m not talking about her acquittal. When the prosecutor fails to prove someone’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, the only responsible thing for the jury to do is refuse to damn the suspect to time in a cage. An innocent person imprisoned is so much worse than a guilty person let go, as in the former instance the state seduces all of society to cheer on and legitimize an injustice. Also, whereas justice for the guilty is at least a metaphysical possibility outside of prison, it is downright precluded institutionally for the innocent on the inside.

The actual travesty here is the offense of which Casey Anthony has been convicted: four counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer. This should not be an offense in a free society, and I am struck by how little this horror has gained attention in the last week.

Lying in most circumstances is immoral. And lying to cover up one’s crimes might be especially egregious, and arguably criminal in itself. But Casey Anthony was acquitted of the actual crime of murder. As far as the state is concerned, she has not been proven guilty. So why is her dishonesty with the police an offense against the law?

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW!!! And there is. How about obstruction of justice, an accomplice in a crime by aiding the criminal in getting away. And there is protection for such people written into law. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT.:eusa_angel:

Legal Dictionary

: the crime or act of willfully interfering with the process of justice and law esp. by influencing, threatening, harming, or impeding a witness, potential witness, juror, or judicial or legal officer or by furnishing false information in or otherwise impeding an investigation or legal process obstruction of justice led to a more severe sentence>

Obstruction of justice | Define Obstruction of justice at Dictionary.com

So when the cops lie to suspects is that obstruction?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you that the right is resorting to deceitful, despicable and reprehensible tactics.

Legal Dictionary

I am pretty it is not. That would end undercover cops. I am in agreement with you basically on the issue, but the way to do it is remain silent. However when Susan McDougal remained silent, they sent her to prison. Catch 22.:eusa_angel:

You have the Right to Remain Silent. So far as I'm concerned the moment you choose to ignore that, you should be expected to tell the truth. Then again I'm in favor of modifying the First Amendment to remove lying or speaking falsehoods of any sort from the protections of the Amendment.

Legal Dictionary

I am pretty it is not. That would end undercover cops. I am in agreement with you basically on the issue, but the way to do it is remain silent. However when Susan McDougal remained silent, they sent her to prison. Catch 22.:eusa_angel:

It isn't. And I am referring to this case.

Central Park Jogger case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cops lied to the kids to get their confessions.

Everybody lies to the cops. The first words out of just about everybody's mouth is:

"I didn't do it!"

So, what's the difference?

Legal Dictionary

Saving a life is more important?

Was a Jew obstructing justice when he refused to identify himself as such to the gestapo?

Actually BBD some of us Like and Respect LEO's and the tremendous job they do for our communities. I don't generally deal with them in the line of their duties but the couple of times I have, they've always been totally fair to me; even when they were pointing a gun at me in one situation.

Actually BBD some of us Like and Respect LEO's and the tremendous job they do for our communities. I don't generally deal with them in the line of their duties but the couple of times I have, they've always been totally fair to me; even when they were pointing a gun at me in one situation.

I have a great deal of respect for law enforcement personnel also. Why would you suspect that I do not? I have relatives that are cops. In my life, I have never been treated unfairly by the police. You took my post out of context.

It isn't. And I am referring to this case.

Central Park Jogger case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cops lied to the kids to get their confessions.

Police seem to have some blanket protection the citizens do not get to enjoy. The entire system is a mockery of justice and has been for some time.

Last edited:

Legal Dictionary

Was a Jew obstructing justice when he refused to identify himself as such to the gestapo?

:rolleyes: Saving what life???

Comparing a Jew with the German gestapo to Casey Anthony with an American cop investigating the death of her child...............Really?

The OP:

by Anthony Gregory

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW!!! And there is. How about obstruction of justice, an accomplice in a crime by aiding the criminal in getting away. And there is protection for such people written into law. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT.:eusa_angel:

Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[1]

_-------------------------------------

So how can the police force her to testify against herself?

Cops lying is really a travesty. They do it all the time and there's always an excuse for it. I'm not saying all cops are bad, but citizens and cops ought to play by the same rules on this one.

Legal Dictionary

Noooooooooooo.

They get pay raises and promotions.

If a cop obstructs justice then let him be charged with such. Whether or not some cops have behaved wrongly in other cases does not justify Casey Anthony obstructing justice. Gawd, you'd think that's OBVIOUS...

Legal Dictionary

American legal system and the German fascist legal system: apples and oranges. Next?

Anyone convicted of molesting or worse of an underage person sexually should get triple the sentence if s/he lied.

Never, ever give anything to LEO other than your persona ID in a matter (1) of which you do not understand or do not know or have no idea why you are being asked questions, and (2) always affirm the right to remain silent. The police are not there as your friends, they are there for evidence to convict somebody, which makes them look good.

Forum List

Back