The right to choose

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by sagegirl, Oct 22, 2004.

1. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have to a few things to say about the right to choose. We live in a wonderful country that has its basis in freedom. I hope we all agree that since we are living together in a social enviornment we must have rules to keep social order, otherwise it would be total anarchy. So......a common misconception is that we have freedom "of religion" when in fact we are promised freedom "from religious persecution" What you believe.....and I hear it time and time again is the "I believe "abortion is wrong, "I believe" abortion is murder......"I believe abortion is immoral ". What you believe in becomes a truth for you. It is even hard at times within a structured truth or belief to be absolute....A person who believes abortion is murder might still favor capital punishment or support going to war and killing an enemy, sometimes even in the name of god. Belief has to do with religion, or faith and it often comes more from an emotional need rather than a rational or factual foundation. I have absolutely no problem with a need to believe. It is your right to believe....it is my right to believe ... in whatever we choose. But it is not your right to impose your beliefs on me. We ALL have opinions and beliefs, and I think the more secure we feel with our own concepts the less we feel the need to impose them on others. We are more tolerant, less judgmental, and a free society when we honor and respect the right of each other to live as they believe, not as "I believe". I want to exercise my right to make decisions about my body and my life. I want the right to make those decisions in a manner that is safe, without having to seek the permission of someone that I dont agree with. This then would be my good reason for the right to choose. It keeps you and your belief system out of my life.

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    If you cannot seperate the issues of Capital Punishment and War with 'Abortion' you are beyond hope.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    AHEM--
    stating what I believe in is simply a statement---feel free to act otherwise and lose the persecution complex!

4. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You sound pro-baby-murder. Bleh. I believe you suck. :death:

5. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    From the position that abortion is murder, then what is capital punishment or waging war? I am being "anal" about the wording when it applies to one and not the others.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,135
    There are so many things wrong with this paragraph im not sure where to begin. Ok ill start with grammar. I understand youre trying to get a point across. If youd like to do it better, please use paragraphs when you change subjects. writing in run ons is very distracting and hard to read.

Second, Truth is truth regardless of whether you believe it or not. Thats the beauty of truth. its an anchor in a world of uncertainity. For example. the world is round. That is a truth. You can believe it or not but its not going to change whether its round or not. Believing it is flat does not make it true. If there werent truths that govern the world around us, science would be useless. because the point of science is to learn those truths and use them for our benefit.

The same is true with moral truth. God has revealed moral truths to all people at different times and places. That is why almost all religions have alot of the same moral principles. God give men what they can handle. And those who live moral principles have an anchor to their souls in times of trial and adversity.

As for Abortion and Capital punishment. Im amazed that you cant tell the difference between mudering an innocent child because of the sins of his/her parents and executing a serial killer. One is an act of injustice. the other is justice.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    ...nevermind the fact the very idea that 'truth is relative' is illogical..

"There are absolutely no absolute thruths.."

8. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    It is to those that would not allow me the freedom to act otherwise that this is addressed. The question is out there and I just tried to explain it from my point of view. And yes when someone is determined to impose their opinions on someone else, that is persecution.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Am I persecuting my kids because I force them to abide by my opinion?

10. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Who is the "you" you keep referring to? If you are offended my "our" belief systems, maybe you would be more comfortable in a place where everyone shared "your" (you sagegirl) belief systems, this isn't sagegirl's message board afterall. Just my opinion, sorry if you feel it's been forced on you.:D