The Right To Bear Arms

Not according to everything I'm hearing in the media... At least the Pres. still hasn't caved much... and believes, fundamentally, that more guns in good hands = less gun violence. & Gun free zones = "soft target" death zones...

the problem is that one can believe in the above while still paving the way (well intentioned) for gun registration... we all know what follows full registration

You found the solution.
The FBI couldn't have done anything to stop Cruz, he didn't violate any federal laws. But if local law enfordement and florida child services knew the unstable guy went out and bought a bunch of guns, they would have treated him differently. They didn't know Cruz had guns, because they weren't registered.

Maybe not obsolete but antiquated, out of date...

... it needs to be updated to reflect the times...

... and the threat of overkill firepower...

... for the average citizen.
:cool:
Gun violence can only be dealt with by dealing with those who commit it. Most gun violence is the result of repeat offenders. Over 500,000 crimes a year, in the U.S., are the result of repeat offenders. And there are nowhere that many committing those crimes. Deal with them, and you deal with the problem.

Once more, you are using the "Hey, Look Over There" routine. The Mass Shooters usually don't have any criminal records at all. And that is what we should be dealing with. What can we do to either stop or minimize the body count in these shooting.
Mass shootings are responsible for a very small percentage of deaths. They are just a drop in the bucket. Most gun crime is the result of repeat offenders. That's the ugly truth.

It's kind of like watching a nuclear explosion in slow motion. If one were to explode outside D.C. in real time it would be a shock to say the least. But if it was happening in slow motion, say, slowed down 100 times, people wouldn't see the problem for what it is and would probably say "Look at the pretty mushroom cloud."

As horrifying and shocking as these mass shootings are, people are dying in much greater numbers in slow motion on the highways and by heart disease and cancer and other things.

People, by nature, are narrow minded and short sighted and act on emotions and nowhere is that more evident today than in our young people and a lot of those on the left of the political spectrum. If not one person died in a motor vehicle accident this year but you had the same number of people die in a bombing or a mass shooting (about 40,000), the whole country would go apeshit and gun control advocates would storm the Capital building and hold Congress hostage until they banned guns.

Gun violence can only be dealt with by dealing with those who commit it. Most gun violence is the result of repeat offenders. Over 500,000 crimes a year, in the U.S., are the result of repeat offenders. And there are nowhere that many committing those crimes. Deal with them, and you deal with the problem.

Once more, you are using the "Hey, Look Over There" routine. The Mass Shooters usually don't have any criminal records at all. And that is what we should be dealing with. What can we do to either stop or minimize the body count in these shooting.
Mass shootings are responsible for a very small percentage of deaths. They are just a drop in the bucket. Most gun crime is the result of repeat offenders. That's the ugly truth.

It's kind of like watching a nuclear explosion in slow motion. If one were to explode outside D.C. in real time it would be a shock to say the least. But if it was happening in slow motion, say, slowed down 100 times, people wouldn't see the problem for what it is and would probably say "Look at the pretty mushroom cloud."

As horrifying and shocking as these mass shootings are, people are dying in much greater numbers in slow motion on the highways and by heart disease and cancer and other things.

People, by nature, are narrow minded and short sighted and act on emotions and nowhere is that more evident today than in our young people and a lot of those on the left of the political spectrum. If not one person died in a motor vehicle accident this year but you had the same number of people die in a bombing or a mass shooting (about 40,000), the whole country would go apeshit and gun control advocates would storm the Capital building and hold Congress hostage until they banned guns.

We change what we can change. We have done quite a bit to slow down traffic deaths and more is on the way. Can you imagine how much you are going to scream when they outlaw you driving your car? That's not that far into the future. That may bring traffic deaths to zero but it's not going to be painless.

And we need to approach the Mass Shootings the same way. We need to fix what we can fix even if it's just to minimize the body count.

We change what we can change. We have done quite a bit to slow down traffic deaths and more is on the way. Can you imagine how much you are going to scream when they outlaw you driving your car? That's not that far into the future. That may bring traffic deaths to zero but it's not going to be painless.

And we need to approach the Mass Shootings the same way. We need to fix what we can fix even if it's just to minimize the body count.

My point was not to show that traffic fatalities are higher, my point was to illustrate how people are shocked and react emotionally when a lot of people die all at once. If there were mass shootings across the country tomorrow and 40,000 people were killed, you can bet that they would ban firearms the next day. At the very least, there would be an immediate temporary ban. But because 40,000 people die in slow motion throughout the year on the highways and out of our sight and mind for the most part, nobody gives it a second thought.

My point was not to show that traffic fatalities are higher, my point was to illustrate how people are shocked and react emotionally when a lot of people die all at once. If there were mass shootings across the country tomorrow and 40,000 people were killed, you can bet that they would ban firearms the next day. At the very least, there would be an immediate temporary ban. But because 40,000 people die in slow motion throughout the year on the highways and out of our sight and mind for the most part, nobody gives it a second thought.

Your point is to try and make us look at something we can't currently change so that we won't look at something we CAN currently change. Simple as that. "Hey, Look Over There".

Cars are not intended to kill or defend
The gun is the instrument of delivering the lethality even with a person behind it. To be dismissive of the gun as not the issue at all is incorrect

Your point is to try and make us look at something we can't currently change so that we won't look at something we CAN currently change. Simple as that. "Hey, Look Over There".

Of course we can change it. You just told me yourself that "We have done quite a bit to slow down traffic deaths and more is on the way."

Like I told Derp, it is not my intention to divert the focus or direction of the conversation. My intention is to show how gun control advocates, while ostensibly proposing a solution to reduce deaths, get emotional and fired up over 17 deaths by firearms but have nothing to say about the 40,000 deaths by motor vehicle accidents every year.

When it comes to human fatalities, people can be highly subjective about which manner of death to address. To the point that it becomes clear before long that it's not so much the number of deaths that they're concerned about, but rather the manner of the deaths.

Of course we can change it. You just told me yourself that "We have done quite a bit to slow down traffic deaths and more is on the way."

Like I told Derp, it is not my intention to divert the focus or direction of the conversation. My intention is to show how gun control advocates, while ostensibly proposing a solution to reduce deaths, get emotional and fired up over 17 deaths by firearms but have nothing to say about the 40,000 deaths by motor vehicle accidents every year.

When it comes to human fatalities, people can be highly subjective about which manner of death to address. To the point that it becomes clear before long that it's not so much the number of deaths that they're concerned about, but rather the manner of the deaths.

Even one person murdered in anger is wrong.

You know you look ridiculous to almost everybody on this earth when you use this argument ? Except to republicans and gun lovers.

You claim you want children kept safe, but if you really felt that way, why would you not want more rules and bans in place to protect them, especially when there are things out there that are killing more young teens than guns? I notice you won't answer the question which tells me you have none.

It's called the Common sense approach. You do what you must do to make a common sense change. Some things are beyond your control but others are within your control so you change what you can and don't waste your time in the areas that you can't change. So your "Hey, Look Over There" routine isn't too common sense.

The common sense approach is why have we had gun shootings in schools only within the last 23 years? We have had guns for a lot longer than that, yet the school shootings are now increasing in frequency. The shootings are the symptoms of a much bigger issue and banning guns like Issa wants, will not change anything, the problem will still be there.
Is not just school shootings my friend, Americans have been shooting each other since day one.

Again, this is a symptom and you don't want to address it, that's fine but until you cure the disease will persist, gun or no gun.

Guns....people here when they lose it, they pick a gun and shoot. Other societies where guns are within reach, they fight, they use non lethal stuff till they cool down, arrested or stopped. Some rough areas I've been to overseas, fights left and right and there was always a saying if it guns were available like in the US lot of people would lose their lives.
Banning guns for sure it was stop all murders, but it will lower it dramatically, ther will be less mass shootings if any.

Drowning is an accident, picking a gun and killing is not. Apples and oranges here.
Picking up a brick can accomplish the same thing.
Can you mass kill with a brick?

If you have lots and lots of bricks and either shoot them from cannons or drop them from bombers. Much like a small bullet can't kill without the gun.
I swear sometimes I just I can most gun lovers overseas and show thrm how it's possible to live without guns, and prevent mass killings. The US looks like it's in constant war...thousands die from gun violence...what a shame for this country.

I've seen how "it's possible to live without guns". As I recall, it resulted in being assaulted by a guy who was a budding serial killer, and convinced me that being unarmed was a stupid idea for a woman in a world of men who can overpower me.

So what've you got to top that?

So you walk around with your pistol at all times? you take a shower with it? you drive around with it in parking lots? you sleep with it? if Anything would happen to you, you won't have time to react. And by the way the US has 300 millions weapons or so available and guess what we have one of the highest numbers of rape per capita. Why is that?

Once your likes will be a minority things will change for the better. And remember it's just an "amendment".
And remember it's just an "amendment".

then it should be fairly easy to have it removed
It will...demographics are changing. :)

You are correct they over the last 59 years the idea of banning guns is more unlikely than likely as the numbers are trending against banning guns altogether.
Things will change, the fabric of America will change. It's a small world and rapidly changing.

Good luck with your delusional belief that EVENTUALLY, you're going to convince the majority of Americans that they really don't want all that troublesome freedom.

Oh, wait, I forgot. Your plan is to overwhelm actual Americans with an invasion of illegal immigrants.
You gotta respect the will of the majority....as for now there is nothing one can do. But there will come time, where the 2nd amendment will be abolished I can assure you of that.
Your life doesn't depend on a gun, you can live without it....this isn't the wild wide west era.

Once your likes will be a minority things will change for the better. And remember it's just an "amendment".
And remember it's just an "amendment".

then it should be fairly easy to have it removed
It will...demographics are changing. :)

You are correct they over the last 59 years the idea of banning guns is more unlikely than likely as the numbers are trending against banning guns altogether.
Things will change, the fabric of America will change. It's a small world and rapidly changing.

Good luck with your delusional belief that EVENTUALLY, you're going to convince the majority of Americans that they really don't want all that troublesome freedom.

Oh, wait, I forgot. Your plan is to overwhelm actual Americans with an invasion of illegal immigrants.
And by the way if it wasn't for migration I don't think you would be here....millions of natives wouldn't be massacred, and millions of blacks wouldn't being enslaved. And thousands of Americans wouldn't have to die from gun violence every year....Just imagine if your ancestor from a country like Austria, Belgium or any other country where gun violence is very minimal and kids don't get massacred in schools, where they should be learning and having fun.

You claim you want children kept safe, but if you really felt that way, why would you not want more rules and bans in place to protect them, especially when there are things out there that are killing more young teens than guns? I notice you won't answer the question which tells me you have none.
Drowning is an accident, picking a gun and killing is not. Apples and oranges here.

Yes.

You can commit mass murder with a can of gasoline, a car, a truck, a truck with a snow plow would be very effective you can commit mass murder with a knife, and yes a gun and probably a hundred other things
The lead cause of mass murder now are guns.
So what?

Most murders are criminals shooting other criminals.
More than half of all murders occur in just 2% of the counties in the country
and half of all counties had a murder rate of virtually zero.

Murder is not a widespread phenomena and tends to be concentrated in urban areas where there are both a high poverty and gang presence.

If you really wanted to do something about the murder rate you would concentrate on the areas where murders occur the most and not try to say that law abiding people who happen to own guns are the problem

What other things are killing teens in schools--other than guns?
Wishful-thinking liberals who demand that government get the authority to "DO SOMETHING", and when they get it, waste their time enacting policies that only restrict the law-abiding. While the nutcases go right on killing the children the liberals pretended to be concerned about, with nothing effective done to stop them or even slow them down.

Look I am a gun owner--but it's clear these semi automatic weapons are not working out for our society. In reality you can blame Republicans for it. 9 mass killings since Republicans took over in 2010. Each one they didn't do nothing except to offer their sympathies and hold prayer vigils. Republicans could have done something to keep these guns out of the wrong hands, but did the exact opposite.

They repealed the mental health background check, and didn't even want to put people who were on no fly lists and FBI terrorist watch lists, on NO GUN LISTS.
Obama: It's 'insane' that people on the 'no-fly' list can buy guns - CNNPolitics
Trump repeals an Obama regulation keeping guns from people with certain mental health conditions

And it's because the NRA has them by the testicles.
'Thoughts and prayers' — and fistfuls of NRA money: Why America can't control guns

So don't blame me for pointing out the obvious.

th
People who say they own guns and in the same breath say a semiautomatic is an assault rifle make me laugh.

Semiautomatic rifles have been around for the civilian market for more than 100 years

And let's address that no fly list thing

You do know that people are put on the no fly list with no notice and no hearing don't you?
It is in effect a secret list and many times a person gets on that list even though they have done nothing to warrant it and has to try to get off of that list at his own expense

If you want the government to be able to curb anyone's rights at any time without due process you do not belong in this country

Yes.

You can commit mass murder with a can of gasoline, a car, a truck, a truck with a snow plow would be very effective you can commit mass murder with a knife, and yes a gun and probably a hundred other things
The lead cause of mass murder now are guns.

No, the lead cause of mass murder is the same as it's always been: humans.

Forum List

Back